Forums Latest Members

Apollo 11th 50th Bracelet Fitment on other Speedys

1. BradleyJ. Oct 29, 2020

This was discussed to death in other threads and came up again in Uncle Seikos and Forstners flatlink thread when using their end links to replace the 50th ones. I just wanted to share the definte options to make this bracelet work without using smaller spring bars or better yet not reading thru 12 pages of people (including myself) asking how to even get a 50th bracelet before getting to an answer. Here's what I have found to work.

Not a speedy but I'll include this..

50th Bracelet straight out of the package with stock end links will fit a watchco case. The step on the back of the end link pushes on the case and makes the end link quite sturdy even if there are no horns to stabilize it. The end link is just shy of the length of the lugs but its so close it doesn't bother me. I used Omega spring bars and the up and down is perfect IMO.

Using the 50th on a speedy not designed for this type of end link..

There are other options as mentioned above, the Uncle seiko flatlink is fantastic and my daily wearer, the Forstner Flatlink looks good too however I don't own one. These are 2 zero effort and low cost options. Some people don't care for the vintage style clasps and would prefer the solid 50th clasp. I like them both but I agree the solid milled clasp has its own bling factor lol. With that said you can always replace the 50th links with Uncle seikos. I found them to match up perfect, they are sold separately from the bracelet if this is the route you take and are low cost. If you prefer solid links then you can also purchase the Forstner links. They are about double the cost of Uncle S. and need to be modified very slightly so they don't bind. This has been the only complaint I've read involving the use of Forstner links on an Uncle S. bracelet and I haven't read of anyone trying them on the 50th. Here are some photos of where material needs to be removed to make them fit. I hit this surface with the finest sanding drum i could find for my dremel. I went super light and it took all of 1 min to remove enough material to make it work. I don't want to knock Forstner but this area I removed material from had a terrible finish as it was, so the sanding drum left just as good a finish if not better.
    I tried getting before and after shots of the finish but I don't have the best camera.

When I find time I will post pictures of the bracelet/bracelets on watches with all the various combos of bracelet/links. I get a lot of messages of people asking about this after reading the other threads where the conversation goes back and forth as what works or not. Just want to put this to bed (with what works for me anyway)

20201029_102826.jpg 20201029_102736.jpg 20201029_102712.jpg 20201029_102727.jpg 20201029_102749.jpg 20201029_095402.jpg
    Pazzo and Peter_from_NL like this.
  2. BradleyJ. Nov 14, 2020

50th Bracelet with Forstner solid End links on an 1861
    (using the Forstner links with Omega spring bars will require some material removal with a small file to fit. thinner spring bars are no issue. File the surface where the face of the tab makes contact with the lug)

20201114_140711.jpg 20201114_141345.jpg 20201114_141327.jpg
    Edited Nov 14, 2020
    Lex_Lugga and Pazzo like this.
  3. BradleyJ. Nov 14, 2020

Uncle Seiko Flatlink with 50th anniversary end links on an SM300 "Watchco" and the Omega clasp cover swap.

20201114_140845.jpg 20201114_140856.jpg 20201114_140906.jpg 20201114_140937.jpg
  4. speedytoronto Nov 14, 2020

Did you use Omega 1.8mm standard spring bars with the Forstner end links? I wasn’t able to get the Forstner to fit my 1861 with Omega bars so I returned it. Refused to use the cheap junk spring bars they included.

5. speedytoronto Nov 14, 2020

Maybe the Uncle Seiko end links with the 50th anniversary bracelet on an 1861 would be the best combination.

6. BradleyJ. Nov 14, 2020

if you'd prefer hollow endlinks then yes this is an easy solution. I was able to use standard omega spring bars with the Forstner end links but you will need to take a file to the tabs and remove the slightest bit of material. It's not gonna be a big job, took me about 30 seconds per tab. For anyone who doesn't have a file you can get a cheap set at Harbor freight (in the US anyway) for a few bucks you can use em once and toss em haha.

7. speedytoronto Nov 14, 2020

Thanks for the reply. I don't quite understand how filing the tabs would have made the Forstner endlinks fit my 1861. Which part of the tab did you file? With the Forstner I could get one end of the Omega spring bar into the case hole, but it seemed like the end link was too deep from case to spring bar and I couldn't get the second end of the bar into place. I have no problem installing my original bracelet within seconds. Seems like the Forstener relied on spring bars that could bend a bit (cheap ones) so they curved into place.
    Can you confirm that the Uncle Seiko end links fit the 50th Anniversary bracelet perfectly? Also do you have the original Omega bracelet to compare to the 50th? For me the modern bracelet is too heavy and the end links push the lug to lug too far for my skinny wrists. That's why I'd prefer something like the 50th. The vintage style Forstner and Uncle Seiko are a bit too rattly for me, prefer the more secure modern clasp etc.

8. BradleyJ. Nov 14, 2020

The tabs that are circled need to be filed. The surface that needs to be filed is the surface that makes contact with the lugs. These being too thick keeps the endlink from being used with omega spring bars. Like you said, you can get one end of the bar in but not the second end. Its so close to fitting that removing a little material here will solve the issue.

Uncle seiko endlinks DO fit the 50th bracelet. Thats how I was wearing this bracelet on my speedy till I tried the Forstner links.

yes I have the original bracelet as well and I agree it is a beefy chunk of metal to have on the wrist. The 50th is much thinner and lighter.

20201114_211211.jpg
  9. Pazzo Nov 14, 2020

Yes, BradleyJ. confirmed that in his first post.
    But, by using US end links, you're going to end up with a faint rattle/jingle sound. That's not a bother for many including myself.

10. Pazzo Nov 14, 2020

So, if I understand you correctly, it's the thickness on the "foot" of the end piece that needs to be filed down slightly giving it that touch more freedom so to be able to slide the end piece inwards towards the case and the spring bar can find its place, correct?.

11. speedytoronto Nov 15, 2020

Thanks for the further details. Wish I'd know the trick of filing the tabs on the Forstner end links when I had his bracelet here, I might have kept the darned thing. As it was, I wasn't pleased with the width of the clasp folding mechanism, there were several reports of it sticking out because of flex due to the stretch links. Also am not a fan of the press clasp on either bracelet. The 50th, although a significant investment, is really the bracelet that I want, and with your confirmation that I can make it work with either Uncle Seiko or Forstner end links it's a viable option without buying the Lewis Watch Co. modified version.

Thanks so much for the great info you've provided us with!

BradleyJ. likes this.
  12. speedytoronto Nov 15, 2020

I don't know if it will bother me or not, I've yet to own a hollow end link bracelet. I once read a trick to prevent hollow end links from rattling around: put a small dab of silicon on the underside of the tabs, it will keep the end link from rotating about the spring bar, the report said it got rid of the rattle sound. Might be worth a shot. For me the most important part is to be able to use Omega proper sized spring bars.

13. Pazzo Nov 15, 2020

There's no need to use silicon or anything else.
    US hollow end links won't rotate on your 1861 and you can use 1.8mm spring bars without a problem.

14. speedytoronto Nov 15, 2020

The silicon was a suggestion to deal with the rattle sound you mentioned yesterday.

15. Pazzo Nov 15, 2020

^ ^ ^
    I understand what you're saying but the rattle is so faint that you wouldn't notice it.
    And another thing, it is not something continuous.

speedytoronto likes this.
  16. Commerx Nov 18, 2021

Apologies in advance if already answered. I have a 105.003-65 speedmaster and need to come up with a bracelet solution. Original would be nice but dang pricey. Will the following work easily

020STZ011626 – Complete bracelet including folding clasp and end links, consisting of

• 020STZ011628 – Folding Clasp
    • 020STZ011629 – Bracelet
    • 020STZ011630 – End links

with the watch or do I need to get forstner 19 Mm links or other and then file the forstner links. Sorry for my confusion