Forums Latest Members

Apollo 11 50th Speedmaster second strap

1. avidmark Sep 14, 2019

What's with the odd leather strap that comes in the box. I'm sure their is some significance to the space program. Can someone enlighten me?

OMEGA_310.20.42.50.01.001_3-4.jpg
  2. lustrousaurus Sep 14, 2019

3. avidmark Sep 14, 2019

Ok. What part or where exactly is it on the Saturn V? Is it mentioned in the literature in the box?

4. lustrousaurus Sep 14, 2019

I'm only quoting these articles because I wasn't sure myself but briefly remembered it was cork, but not the location of where it was on the Saturn V.

From Mono-chrome watches:

"An additional Velcro strap in blackened cork with golden marks is also included. “This innovative design is a salute to the Apollo-era “boost protective cover” – a fiberglass structure covered with thick cork ablator which fitted over the Command Module like a glove, keeping the crew of the Saturn V rocket safe from the intense heat produced at launch,” says Omega."

https://monochrome-watches.com/intr...50th-anniversary-limited-edition-steel-price/

avidmark likes this.
  5. Hduck Oct 6, 2019

The command module was covered with a shiny cover. The Mylar of the cover was attached via the cork. You can see it stripping off when the CM was being recovered.

6. cholack Oct 13, 2019

I’m pretty sure it’s not from the actual Saturn V,
    More as a “salute” as per the article

SpeedyPhill likes this.