Forums Latest Members

ANZAC Day Australia - 2018

1. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 25, 2018

Today here was a special day that seeks to honour the soldiers, sailors and airmen who never came home, and the ones that did come home, but are not the ones we saw go away.

It's therefore a time to remember mates that made you laugh, stole your kit or your girlfriend, stood by you in "arguments" in one or two pubs, but drew the short straw offered by Lady Destiny.

I'm lucky that I didn't have to face the inevitable, and came through relatively unscathed.

I'm also blessed that my Son has been able to serve his country, and come home many times, unlike those who did not.

I think the graphic in the photo he sent me says it all.

DJ_ANZAC_Day_2018.jpg

queriver, blubarb, Alpha and 13 others like this.
  2. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Apr 25, 2018

A somber but proud day, Jim.

One that makes you stop and think of the strength shown, the love of country, family and your brothers beside you.
    Gallipoli certainly depicts unquestioning loyalty and defines the horror of war.

All wars are brutal but the slaughter of WWI is incomprehensible.

Peace and love for your Son and for us all!

3. isaac.owen.nz Apr 25, 2018

Always proud to be a kiwi on Anzac day. Out of country this year but my father attended the Wellington Service and said it was very beautiful.

IMG-20180424-WA0005.jpg
  4. jetkins Apr 25, 2018

Living in the USA these days, I miss the dawn service at the local RSL or the Melbourne Shrine.

Lest we forget.

blubarb and JimInOz like this.
  5. West Slope Apr 26, 2018

Picked this up a few years ago while attending my grandmother's funeral. I will admit I wasn't that familiar with it despite my Australian roots. Family immigrated to Sydney from Budapest in the late 40s.

IMG_20180425_224654.jpg

6. makaria indica Apr 26, 2018

This design is a result of the First World War centenary programme, recognizing New Zealand's sacrifice in WW1

Its simple and evocative.

464a9c8afbe702d016960f8a27a7e420.jpg
    blubarb, jetkins, Mtek and 4 others like this.