Forums Latest Members

Anyone ready for baseball season?

1. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Apr 7, 2018

Yesterday I spent the evening with my two grandsons. Both of them received new baseball gloves for Christmas. They both decided they wanted to change the color of the laces on their gloves. They wanted yellow laces go figure.

Last night we relaced three gloves the boys gloves have all yellow laces. My glove had a crease in the pocket that bugged me. I tore the glove apart I used pocket grease adhevise to restore the pocket.

I'm not a fan of yellow laces however enough yellow lace was left over so I did my glove with yellow finger tips and the remainder of the laces in tan lace. For me it was a fun evening playing around with my grandsons.

I just checked my glove this morning the adhevise appears to be dry and I'm good to go for the season
    Here's a pic of my glove. Not sure if I will keep the yellow finger tip laces. I need to cut the excess laces shorter they a bit too long

042.jpg 046.jpg
    Kmart, gemini4, SteveZ28 and 4 others like this.
  2. Humptymarsbar Apr 7, 2018

We call it rounders in England. ;):whistling::thumbsup:

TOTIZ and voere like this.
  3. ulackfocus Apr 7, 2018

Baseball is the one sport that nerds and jocks can both enjoy. Plenty of numbers and statistics for the nerds, and lots of eye-hand coordination and athleticism for the jocks.

Kmart, TMas, voere and 1 other person like this.
  4. 77deluxe Apr 7, 2018

It really messes up parking and traffic around my office building.

voere likes this.
  5. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Apr 7, 2018

Fond memories of pick up baseball games at the park without adult supervision. Hardball too. Common when I was a kid. Rare these days. Playing catch with your grandsons? Priceless!

Kmart, Buck2466, voere and 2 others like this.
  6. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Apr 7, 2018

My two grandsons are typical kids. The two little guys are perfectly content to play video game all day and evening.
    When my wife and I babysit them. In the winter time if the weather is bad I cut them some slack. When the weather is nice. I tell them get you little butts outside and play some sports or hang around with your little buddies.

The youngest one walks around the house wearing headphones yapping it up with his little pals. And playing video games online with them. After an hour or so. I tell him to knock it off his net time is over.

The other one is constantly on his cell phone. When dinner time comes around. I tell both of them give me your phones. I turn them off otherwise they will sit and eat dinner yapping it up with their friends. I tell them they are not going to get away with that BS in my house.

They both get upset when I take their phones. I tell them too bad keep whining and I just may keep your phones. After they get over bring upset about the phones. We have a pleasant conversation during dinner.

I also have a lot of fond memories going to the park and getting into pickup baseball games, football games, basketball games, hockey etc.

It's another generation we did not have video games, internet, or cell phones.
    I do have fun playing baseball with them or just about any sports. Hey it keeps them busy and out of trouble.

Edited Apr 7, 2018
  7. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Apr 7, 2018

It never stops. Had to have a chat with my 24 year old about his Minecraft addiction. As long as he’s under my roof (another professional internship is about to start so that will be a while) we watch his gaming. I just don’t get it. I hope your grand kids parents crack down as well.

8. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Apr 7, 2018

They do get on them about the gaming. My wife from time to time will let them get away with that nonsense.

9. TMas Apr 7, 2018

Lifelong Cleveland Indians honk here. I’m soooo ready for this year! With or without Chief Wahoo (rather with though....).
    God, I miss playing.

Larry S likes this.
  10. SteveZ28 Apr 7, 2018

I cant think of very many better ways to spend the day than to be sitting in the stands on a hot sunny day. Ice cold beer in hand (or multiple). The Blue Jays are about a 4 hour flight for me to go and see but hoping to make it out a few times this year!

Kmart and Larry S like this.
  11. bubba48 Apr 7, 2018

I love baseball.
    I'm from Rimini (Italy) and the local Pirates team won many championships. Me too played as an amateur.

timex marlin (5).jpg

53_10.jpg

Larry S likes this.
  12. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Apr 7, 2018

I shudder to think of your watchstrap selections!

In St. Louis, baseball is religion. Grew up listening to Harry Caray and Jack Buck. Been blessed with a lot of wins and a lot of memories. Hats off to my Grandpa! (my best baseball memories)

13. ulackfocus Apr 7, 2018

We had a kinda famous announcer for the Phillies too. You might know him from NFL films too. ;)

Harry Kalas started announcing when the Vet (Veteran's Stadium in South Philly) opened in April 1971. I don't remember the announcer before then because I was too young, and there was never any other voice for 38 years. It was sad that he presided over every Phillies game EXCEPT the World Series victory in 1980, when the networks took over because MLB's broadcast contract didn't let either team's regular broadcast crew in the booth. I think Phillies' fans were just as happy that Harry got to call the final strike for the Phillies WS win in 2008 as they were for the championship. He died the next year at the beginning of the season, in the booth, before a game with the Nationals in Washington. Thanks to the Baseball Gods for letting him make the call on Brad Lidge's final pitch to seal the win.

It took me 3 seasons to get used to Tom McCarthy. When the team unveiled Harry's statue in front of the gate (it has since moved inside the park on the concourse) there were Phillies hats covering the base with notes written on them. He was THE voice of the Phillies for 2 generations.

GeorgeBailey2 likes this.
  14. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 7, 2018

Am I ready for baseball season?

Apparently our local team isn’t

F8AF0C09-DAF3-41A8-96D9-504CD7608730.png
    Derek Jeter should be ashamed of himself.
    gatorcpa

ulackfocus likes this.
  15. TOTIZ Apr 8, 2018

In all fairness, our cousins probably shake their heads in disbelief if they ever watch cricket :D

Humptymarsbar likes this.
  16. ulackfocus Apr 8, 2018

Here in the States, we call the exterminator if we have a cricket problem.

TOTIZ, ConElPueblo and Humptymarsbar like this.
  17. Humptymarsbar Apr 8, 2018

Too be fair I watched a game in San Francisco on holiday when Barry Bonds ( was he a bit controversial ?) there and was sat behind the batter, and i had a great night . Not really knowing the rules , just multiples of 3 I guess, but was good theatre as the Giants staged a come back with a few home runs fished out of the Bay!
    Was it called candle stick park then?

18. TOTIZ Apr 8, 2018

I‘ve never had the chance to watch a baseball game in the States. I‘ve been to a couple of NFL games, which were a lot of fun, but these breaks for TV adverts did my head in and if they did that at a football (soccer) game in Europe, I really think there would be trouble. I also had the opportunity to watch an NBA game at Madison Square Gardens and that was fantastic ! Fast, dynamic and really good fun to watch live :cool:

19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 8, 2018

It was -6 outside this morning, little snow on the ground, so not feeling like baseball season yet.

Beside the winter sports are in full swing - basketball playoffs coming soon (Go Raptors!), skatey-punchy regular season just ended (Go Leafs!), and still watching the curling...Canada advanced to the gold medal game last night in Vegas (Go Gushue!). Here are some highlights from the semi last night - two very good angle raises to score 3 for Canada against Scotland starting around 2 minutes in...

Edited Apr 8, 2018
    Humptymarsbar likes this.