Forums Latest Members

Anyone looking for a non-story event?

1. tikkathree Apr 3, 2021

Edited Apr 3, 2021
  2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 3, 2021

Even Omega pretty much did that on the small speedmasters. They are not calling them women or men’s... some of them are pretty feminine and worn by men...

also the shortest girl I ever dated wore the biggest watch... looked good on her too.

tikkathree likes this.
  3. Concretepuppy Apr 3, 2021

Modern woke silliness, they think we're all the same in different person-suits, a study was done years ago with cameras in a busy high street jeweller's window documenting couple how many men vs women stopped to look in the windows of jewellers, but specifically what they looked at,
    The women were in general mostly drawn to the window but focussed on the rings and necklaces almost without exception, men were sometimes drawn in less numbers but straight to the watches, couples were interesting, they would begin to look together at the rings and necklaces but the man would either go to the watches or keep looking over to them
    But people will keep trying to make cats bark and rabbits go moo and claim they're fighting oppression

DSotW, noelekal, Kiltie and 6 others like this.
  4. MtV Apr 3, 2021

Exactly. Let people behave according to their instinctive behavior. Men are just born watch-lovers, while women have an intrinsic desire for necklaces.

It really doesn’t have anything to do with socialization and influence.

Regarding the article: There really shouldn’t be much fuzz about it, but it’s a good and overdue decision in my book.

Syrte likes this.
  5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 3, 2021

Embarrassing the Mrs every time I end up in a ladies fashion shop with a “where is the men’s section” and then with a “well that’s 50% of the market missed”

Have noticed the amount of tools in a tool shop and fishing rods and reels marketed at the female user now. Oddly the ladies I know who use tools and fish don’t want pink or purple handles and accessories so go figure.

nzshadow, MRC and JwRosenthal like this.
  6. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Apr 3, 2021

The Cairo Curmudgeon
    December3,2019 ·
    It snowed last night...
    8:00 am: I made a snowman.
    8:10 - A feminist passed by and asked me why I didn't make a snow woman.
    8:15 - So, I made a snow woman.
    8:17 - My feminist neighbor complained about the snow woman's voluptuous chest saying it objectified snow women everywhere.
    8:20 - The gay couple living nearby threw a hissy fit and moaned it could have been two snow men instead.
    8:22 - The transgender man..women...person asked why I didn't just make one snow person with detachable parts.
    8:25 - The vegans at the end of the lane complained about the carrot nose, as veggies are food and not to decorate snow figures with.
    8:28 - I was being called a racist because the snow couple is white.
    8:31 - The middle eastern gent across the road demanded the snow woman be covered up .
    8:40 - The Police arrived saying someone had been offended.
    8:42 - The feminist neighbor complained again that the broomstick of the snow woman needed to be removed because it depicted women in a domestic role.
    8:43 - The council equality officer arrived and threatened me with eviction.
    8:45 - TV news crew from CBC showed up. I was asked if I know the difference between snowmen and snow-women? I replied "Snowballs" and am now called a sexist.
    9:00 - I was on the News as a suspected terrorist, racist, homophobe sensibility offender, bent on stirring up trouble during difficult weather.
    9:10 - I was asked if I have any accomplices. My children were taken by social services.
    9:29 - Far left protesters offended by everything marched down the street demanding for me to be arrested.
    By noon it all melted
    Moral:
    There is no moral to this story. It is what we have become, all because of snowflakes.

DSotW, Dor_42, nzshadow and 14 others like this.
  7. COYI Apr 3, 2021

After reading the article it seems like we have now reached or are beyond the crossing point where women are wearing larger watches than men ::screwloose::

8. Concretepuppy Apr 3, 2021

Brilliant, just a piece of genius, i'm embarrassed to live during an era like this because hopefully our descendants will look back at us all, and i'd break the sound barrier running away from the sort of double think we're expected to all subscribe to in case we offend someone, if i had a time travel machine i'd sell rides on it for £1 a hour, but you have to go back to London in 1600s as a working class unskilled labourer, they think life's hard now? Now try living an hour back then, in those days you might wake up with a headache and by lunchtime giving thanks to the guy in the sky because you're still alive,

noelekal and Thrasher36 like this.
  9. COYI Apr 3, 2021

For me the turning point in the UK was the scene in the 1997 movie 'The Full Monty' where a women was filmed in a pub using the men's urinal. I bet she owned a large tool watch :)

10. Engee Apr 3, 2021

So let me get this right. What you are saying is that the idea that manufacturers should make watches without defining them as being for men or women, but just saying, “here are our watches, they come in a range of sizes and styles, and we don’t care which one you’d like to wear”, is “woke silliness”? Please explain, or have I misunderstood you?

inchpincher, kkt, Hijak and 7 others like this.
  11. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Apr 3, 2021

"The company, which is the UK's largest seller of second-hand watches, will now sell them in small, medium or large rather than by gender categorisation."

unnamed.jpg

DSotW, Fish70 and Larry S like this.
  12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 3, 2021

To me it seems like this is just about helping them sell more watches, but you have an "interesting" perspective I guess...

kkt, Foo2rama, amcclell and 3 others like this.
  13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 3, 2021

One of my wife's watches is men's Rolex. She likes it, it looks good one her, so is that really a major social problem? I don't think so.

DSotW, Hijak, madjestikmoose and 3 others like this.
  14. LesXL Apr 3, 2021

Surely none, though I believe the "society uncomfortableness" is rather the other way around...

Society has no problems for girls wearing "boyfriend's jeans"... It is fashionable. I haven't seen any trends for men wearing "mum's jean" or "girlfriend's jean".

It is indeed a sale pitch, to sell more watches (to women)... It doesn't seem they are trying to pitch ladies watches to men.

Dan S likes this.
  15. Dedalus05 Apr 3, 2021

Personallly I am a bit of a believer in modern woke silliness, but that aside, the study you mention sounds like a lot of fun. Is there a link or source for it? There is something inherently comical/relatable about a young groom-to-be pretending to be interested in rings and necklaces when just out of the corner of his eye there is a whole world of watch goodies he is dying to drool over.

Rudi99 likes this.
  16. Donn Chambers Apr 3, 2021

Funny how they make a big point in the article of saying Kanye West most often wears a 22mm Cartier Crash, yet the picture shows him wearing a much bigger watch that is definitely NOT a Cartier Crash!

Thrasher36 likes this.
  17. Rudi99 Apr 3, 2021

Thank you @Engee @MtV and @Archer , your responses find a lot of unison with my thoughts and ideas.

We are all men here in this thread discussing a matter that does involve women directly, so why not give some space to experts who are on the other side of the line, on the unprivileged one?

I highly recommend this article from Cara Barrett from Hodinkee.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/all-watches-should-be-unisex-and-heres-why

A small quote, that exemplifies it well:

"As a consumer, I don’t want to be told what I should and should not buy. I want to decide on my own. I do not need a salesperson to condescendingly guide me to a poorly lit case to show me what they think I would like in the ladies' section. Call me crazy, but sometimes what I'm looking for is actually the latest steel sport watch that measures at least 36mm. Maybe it's a chronograph – I don't know! When I find what I'm looking for, I will know it when I see it. And it won't be in that case."

In the meantime, it would be great if @Concretepuppy would share the link to this awesome and very scientifical study...

Engee, iamvr, Hijak and 5 others like this.
  18. Concretepuppy Apr 3, 2021

Hi, it's probably me who misunderstands the reason and with too much coffee went off on a verbal ramble,

about the study it was on a Radio 4 program i'd heard, "thinking allowed" i think, one of the guests mentioned it as if it had been done in the 60s to determine consumer behaviour, i'm pretty sure i was driving when the radio was on but haven't searched for anything online about it, it just stuck in my head as interesting since then

19. amcclell Apr 3, 2021

I tend to agree with you. More women are are wearing larger watches that were marketed for men and with the size creep, some brands have now deemed their 33-35mm dress watches as women's models.

The overwhelming majority of cocktail watches, or 28mm diamond encrusted dress watches will continue to be worn by women but there is a huge portion of the watch market that will appeal to men and women.

kkt likes this.
  20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 3, 2021

It depends what you consider a ladies watch to be. There are plenty of men here who wear very small watches, what today would be considered ladies size were once men's size. There are also plenty of men who wear watches with diamonds, flashy colours, etc., so to me, this is much ado about nothing.

For all the talk of wokeness, snowflakes, social justice warriors, etc. it tends to be the people who are "not woke" (asleep?) who are doing all the complaining. The people most likely to cite "freedom" wanting others to conform to their ideas. It's downright ironic, but a little sad too.

inchpincher, dmtowl, kkt and 13 others like this.