Forums Latest Members

Anyone living in Vancouver, BC?

1. Jonatan Jul 18, 2016

A little off topic here but I have been offered a job in Vancouver, BC and I would just like to have an idea if I can live with the salary offered.

So if anyone is presently residing in Vancouver, please send me a PM so we can have a little chat.

2. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Jul 18, 2016

Jonatan likes this.
  3. calalum Jul 18, 2016

Depends on where you want to live, what kind of restaurants you go to, etc. Like any substantial city Vancouver has a huge variety of locations and price points. But it is a really nice place, if you are ok with the weather.

Jonatan likes this.
  4. Jonatan Jul 18, 2016

The Housing market is worst than Switzerland!

This would be my first job out of University and I want to make sure I can continue living my life normally. I don't want to have to dig into my savings to move back to Canada.

5. calalum Jul 18, 2016

Get away from the harbor and you will be fine. Nice cities are expensive for a reason.

6. grizzlycanuck Jul 18, 2016

I live here, it's gorgeous and I love it....but I'm biased. Yes real estate is expensive here, but it's expensive in every desirable city in the world

7. Jonatan Jul 18, 2016

Gentleman, I know it's gorgeous! I have visited and I lived on the Island when I was a child. Campbell River!

8. Canuck Jul 18, 2016

A modest bungalow within 25 miles of the harbour is around 1.2 to 1.5 million dollars! Rent? Thousands of dollars a month for a one bedroom in the suburbs. Gasoline? Last time I was there, five years ago, I paid 1.60 per litre x 4 = $6.50 to $7.00 for a Canadian gallon! If you have to ask, you likely can't afford to live there!

9. ktc Jul 18, 2016

Vancouver, like many other desirable coastal cities, have seen an exorbitant increase in cost of living -- thanks to the huge influx of foreign cash now making it impossible for the locals to afford living in their own city.

I would offer one counterpoint -- everyone here has just talked about the cost in Vancouver, but without knowing your occupation, I would guess that you could afford to live there as long as you make some concessions. Life isn't always about maximizing savings... after all, you've got to enjoy yourself when you're not at work. You don't live to work.... you work to live!

Mouse_at_Large likes this.
  10. grizzlycanuck Jul 18, 2016

The lifestyle is incredible, cycled the seawall yesterday and it was 27 degrees, gorgeous everywhere......the neighbourhoods and culture are improving as well. All depends what you want for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Jonatan Jul 19, 2016

As some of you may know the average price of a house in Canada is 250 000$, in Vancouver we are talking about 1.2-1.5 million dollars. I know that anywhere else in Canada, except maybe Toronto, you can live comfortably, probably modestly, but comfortably with 60-80 000 $. Is that comfort still there in Vancouver? I have no doubt that the lifestyle is great, like most other charming cities in Canada or around the world.

I've never had to worry about money, and I don't want to start now. Plus if I can continue buying a few watches now and then that's also pretty nice.

12. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jul 19, 2016

You can always become a watch dealer on your side to augment your income so you can afford to live in Vancouver.

13. Jonatan Jul 19, 2016

That's not looking so good!

14. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Jul 19, 2016

Anyone living in Vancouver, BC?

No...

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 19, 2016

Your information is a little out of date - as of July 13th stats the average price of a house in Canada was over $500,000 (555,544 to be exact). That figure is certainly skewed by the larger markets like Toronto and Vancouver, and of course location makes a huge difference. I'm sure there's somewhere in Canada where the average price is $250,000, but taken as a whole country it's over double that.

The rate of change varies wildly across the country, with places in Alberta getting cheaper year over year, and Vancouver rising almost 24% over the last year.

I have a friend who lives in Vancouver proper - a number of years ago he paid $300k for a one bedroom condo, and it would be double that now if not more. I have another friend who lives in Surrey, so a little less expensive than in the city.

Rental market is not great either but hopefully when the new tax rules come in to tax the empty condos (mostly bought by foreign investors) there is a chance the market might open up a bit.

Cheers, Al