Forums Latest Members

Anyone know antique phones?

1. JwRosenthal May 2, 2021

We don’t judge
    8C85BB9B-D960-4701-BB86-4FAEA6309FEE.jpeg

Duracuir1 and DaveK like this.
  2. Duracuir1 Never Used A Kodak May 2, 2021

Liberace was a friend of a friend. This friend of ours was as flamboyant as ever. We went to see a Tigers game once a year. During the games he would tell me of his sexual exploits and I would warn him that we’d get beat up by the fans! Upon my return home, I would tell my wife about our potential demise at the hands of angry fans. Turns out that the fans did not seem to care, and my wife said: “He’s 80! He should be shouting it from the rooftops!” Our good friend died in 2011.

On a different note. First strap of 2021. Work has kept me away from the leather shop.

D2D5BF20-1B5D-492D-9E03-D44ECE38BEF4.jpeg For a very large man’s Devil Diver.

gatorcpa, pdxleaf, wagudc and 3 others like this.
  3. JwRosenthal May 2, 2021

Liberace grew up in Milwaukee, and was considered a child prodigy. One of his first major recitals was at the Milwaukee VA Hospital auditorium (I documented it as part of a historic VA Hospital documentation project). The building was a mess, having long been neglected, but it was neat to be in the place where such a legendary showman got his start.

pdxleaf, wagudc and Duracuir1 like this.
  4. Canuck May 2, 2021

Have you ever heard of a Liberace sandwich?..........................A little ham surrounded by a lot of lettuce!

An acquaintance (now deceased) had a rumpus room set up with rows and rows of shelving. No kidding, you had to be very careful negotiating around that room. He had a bit of everything, but particularly old military stuff which were actually radio/phones. But also, phones of all vintages. Electric pinball machines, neon signs, and on and on. Pity his poor wife (if she survived him).

Edited May 2, 2021
    Duracuir1 likes this.
  5. SkunkPrince May 3, 2021

It's not a mess anymore and will once again house disabled veterans.

https://www.bizjournals.com/milwauk...s-home-buildings-to-reopen-as-apartments.html

6. JwRosenthal May 3, 2021

It was an amazing complex. I spent 3 weeks in every single building, documenting the existing conditions at the time. One of the original soldiers homes build post civil war and before the creation of the VA- built with private funds if I recall.

What’s funny is that my mother and father did their medical residencies in Milwaukee in the mid-60’s. My father was Army reserve medical corps so spent his duty time working at that VA on soldiers that came home from Vientnam. He was a reconstructive surgeon so so part of his job was rebuilding faces and jaws so the soldiers could actually eat and try to have a “normal” life.
    When I was documenting the complex, I sent pictures to my mother who was almost heartbroken to see the condition it was in- she remember how vital and beautiful it was back then.

7. SkunkPrince May 3, 2021

Probably too late but you need the ringer box because it has the loading coils. But nowadays, a lot of us have cell only. I had a nice Western Electric 302 but got rid of it because dealing with nuisance calls on a land line was just bugging the crap out of me. At least the cell filters calls for me.

If you have two of those with the cranks, you can put them in series with a lantern battery and you should be able to have your own private exchange.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  8. JohnWoo May 3, 2021

My Grandmother had one like this and described it as a 'Daffodil style'.
    Yours is a nice looker, congrats.

DaveK likes this.
  9. vbrad26 May 3, 2021

[​IMG]