Forums Latest Members
  1. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Apr 16, 2018

Anyone into Fly Fishing?
    In my neck of the woods the trout fishing season starts the last Saturday in April. I spent this mornng cleaning up some of my fly rods and reels. On the plus side I had some fun trying to teach my two grandsons how to cast.

The little guys are learning the basic casts they do okay but they have a long way to go.My oldest grandson is a little knuckle head. All he wants to do in casting is find out how far he can cast the fly line.

This morning when we were casting I looked at him and asked him what the F is wrong with you. He can cast more than 60 feet. I told him big deal I mentioned most of your casts in fly fishing will be thirty feet or less.

My oldest grandson does not get the concept it's all about stalking and accuracy not distance. One needs to find & stalk fish not cast out hoping a fish grabs your fly.

After we were done with practice casts. I took both boys out for lunch. After lunch I purchased both of them a pair of polarized sunglasses.

I try to do things with my grandsons that will take them away from playing video games and yapping it up on the phone all day and night.

Anyway we all had fun and that's what it's all about.

2. Mtek Apr 16, 2018

Good stuff. My very fondest memories of my grandfather was him teaching me how to fish. Every other weekend we would go fishing. Reading your post, it brought back some of those days clearly.

voere likes this.
  3. ulackfocus Apr 16, 2018

How tiny of a hook is needed to catch flies?

4. chronoboy64 Apr 16, 2018

Flyfishing and watch collecting. That is what it´s all about :D
    I am very happy for you that you got your grandkids interested in that wonderful hobby.

fibonacci086, voere and Mtek like this.
  5. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 16, 2018

A Horseflies

B Housefly

hooks_on_finger.jpg

Recommend 2dg test braided nylon line (to be sporting)

6. bonerp Apr 17, 2018

I used to fly fish at Pitsford reservoir in Northampton, also Grafham water and a smaller one which I can't recall the name of - about 30 years ago. Always sold the catch to my uncle Col as I wasn't a fan of the trout.
    Used to thoroughly enjoy the tranquility and peace for several hours.
    I am sure the equipment is far more technical now!!

voere likes this.
  7. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Apr 17, 2018

Most of the time I give most of the trout I catch to family and friends. I keep enough for a good meal for my family and I. If it's not a good sized trout I catch and release the trout. For me keepers for a meal are around three pound fish. Same goes the big trout. I also catch and release those. They are just big grease balls to me.

As far as the equipment goes from time to time I use vintage bamboo rods. Most of the bamboo rods I have are very valuable. I use them but I sure do baby them when I use them.

My favorite rod for trout is just about twelve years old. The reel I use is a little over forty years old. Most of the new high tech equipment is just hype. I use equipment that works well for me.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  8. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Apr 17, 2018

The kid is buried in the Cabelas catalog and you tube videos. He has my grandfathers split bamboo and another recent acquisition. No fish yet but he’s trying.

voere likes this.
  9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 17, 2018

Give the grandson that casts 60ft a spinning reel and a few lures he sounds like he's a real fisherman ;)

Taking a couple of world renowned fly fishing guides from NZ barramundi fishing in July.

Promised to get them a milkfish on fly also.

voere likes this.
  10. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Apr 17, 2018

When I lived in Fla. I did a lot of big game fishing mostly for Marlin. Every now and then I would get lucky and land a big one.

11. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Apr 17, 2018

Some of the old split bamboo rods can be worth big bucks. Check out the maker and you may have a very valuable bamboo rod. Over the past 40 years I collected many split bamboo rods. I have all the ones I need. Every now and then I add one to my collection.

12. chanbar Apr 17, 2018

Love fly fishing and tying our own flies. Been doing so in the alaska wilderness since I was a kid and still do so every summer when the family heads up to visit my parents.

13. fibonacci086 Apr 18, 2018

I've been on a couple flyfishing trips in Poland, Slovenia and Norway.
    Great times. I used to do some fly tying in the past.
    A close friend opened last year a fliyfishing travel agency focused in Central Europe trips. Mostly no kill runs. Drop me a PM if interested.

14. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 18, 2018

Darwin style fly fishing ( My tattooist getting amongst it )

watchcollect likes this.
  15. river rat Apr 18, 2018

I should try to pick it up I did move to Montana and the Madison river very close to me. Have a friend his job in the summer is dropping off the float boats for the guides and fisherman and picking them up river he drives the truck with boat trailer.

16. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 9, 2018

Video a mate made. Some good tunes to listen to while watching

watchcollect likes this.
  17. Dan S Jun 9, 2018

I live in Colorado and 99% of my fishing is in tiny mountain creeks or alpine lakes while backpacking. Long casts are not important.