Forums Latest Members
  1. CaptainWinsor Oct 6, 2018

im a soccer referee and wanted to hear from anyone else who refs and what watches they use

2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Oct 6, 2018

I think @UncleBuck has a killer soccer timer, which looks like this

BS-W-255-Omega-Soccer-Timer-08.jpg

3. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Oct 6, 2018

IMGP3708 smaller.jpg

I bought it in '72, joined the forum to sell it and Dennis, the squirrel, slowed me down and invited me to stick-around.
    Now, it's the flagship of my very enjoyable hobby.
    Thanks for remembering, Joel.

4. JohnSteed Oct 6, 2018

Used my assistants to track timing when I coached or refer’d kid’s soccer / baseball

Too busy yelling out during games ( instructions taunts whatever ) to Watch time. [edit] but recall seeing phones out ...

5. FreelanceWriter Oct 7, 2018

6. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Oct 7, 2018

I am not a soccer referee, but I sure as heck did my best to make them work during 40 years of playing. And my watch of preference? A Speedmaster. :D

CTS-V likes this.
  7. Davidt Oct 7, 2018

Soccer? ::facepalm2::

8. ras47 Oct 7, 2018

I know a couple Rugby refs and they all use digital watches. One uses a Suunto for the large display.

Screen Shot 2018-10-07 at 8.19.25 PM.png

9. CaptainWinsor Oct 7, 2018

I’ll check that one out. Wearing a good watch is not a great option

10. Wryfox Oct 9, 2018

I referee kids, employees during the day, in-laws on weekends, and stupid neighbors occasionally. My timekeeping is in years.........

noelekal, ras47 and haqq777 like this.
  11. CaptainWinsor Oct 9, 2018

Looked at the Suunto brand. Nice but I found an app for soccer refs but it doesn’t work with that brand. Looking at a used Apple Watch probably

12. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Oct 9, 2018

What are you trying to achieve if you don't mind me asking? Just about any watch with a rotating diving bezel or a chronograph can help you easily track 45 minutes. Or a digital Timex, etc. if you want something cheap and new. I am not sure what an Apple watch would offer that makes it suitable other then digital readout and alarm, which is pretty standard for any digital watch.

13. CaptainWinsor Oct 9, 2018

I have a cheap digital I was looking for something better. There’s an app I found called Refsix that will allow you to keep track of the games goals cards etc. you just set up before match then tap for goals and keep track instead of writing in down

14. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Oct 9, 2018

It is helpful to know what kinds of things you want the watch to do, so that helps a lot with recommendations. I am too old (and old school) to track things like that on a watch and would rather have a vintage Omega soccer timer, so I am afraid I cannot help in your search.

15. calalum Oct 9, 2018

I used to ref youth soccer at all star tournaments but the parents were too wound up and argumentative so I gave it up. My son played club soccer at the elite (top) level for several years and I enjoyed watching the skill level of those games. And I have this soccer timer which I never wear but assume my son will want some day so I have held onto it.

Soccer timer wrist.JPG

16. CaptainWinsor Oct 11, 2018

I ended up getting a used Apple Watch because there are soccer apps and a better cheap Timex also made for sports. Any recommendations on how to keep parents and coaches from being jerks?

17. ConElPueblo Oct 11, 2018

...Dad?

noelekal, Vitezi and UncleBuck like this.
  18. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Oct 11, 2018

Put them in a 'way back machine'?

When I played in my youth, the dads were so pissed they had to go to soccer games on Sundays and miss watching pro football games they would all huddle around a radio on the sidelines listening to games. They barely paid attention to the kids playing soccer, as they did not know about or understand the game, and most of them were embarrassed that their sons were pansies for not playing an 'american' sports. And of course most of the moms were at home dutifully preparing Sunday dinner (i.e., getting hammered on wine).

This system worked well for the referees, as parents were a non-issue. Heck, even most of the coaches back then did not understand how to play soccer, so they rarely challenged the referees.

ConElPueblo likes this.
  19. CaptainWinsor Oct 11, 2018

My son plays as well. Parents think everything is a foul or is offside. Both are equally bad whether recreational or competitive.

20. FreelanceWriter Oct 11, 2018

My league is in Westchester but the last few times I reffed was in Hackensack.

citizenrich likes this.