Forums Latest Members

Anyone have any info on this Vintage Tissot Sea Star i just bought?

1. paul2083 Apr 6, 2019

Just bought on ebay for $50. Works Well. Has Coca Cola on the seconds hand. Anyone have more info? I can seem to find anything. Possible frankenwatch?

s-l1600.jpg
    Spruce likes this.
  2. Vitezi Apr 7, 2019

Hi @paul2083 and welcome to the forum!

It looks like you have nice Seastar automatic, probably dating to the mid-1970s based on the style of the dial. Seastars were intended to be water-resistant sports watches, although yours is probably not resistant to water anymore. :)

From time to time, Tissot, along with many other brands, would produce "presentation" watches with company logos printed on the dial. By the 1970s, many old-line Swiss companies were suffering from a decline in sales due to the rise of newfangled Japanese quartz watches, so we tend to see more of these presentation watches from that time period. They were often given to employees as service awards, or to suppliers for excellent support, or to large customers as appreciation awards. If you are a Coke collector, here's another examplePurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network:
    [​IMG]

If you intend to wear your watch, we recommend that you get it serviced by a watchmaker who handles vintage watches. All of the moving bits inside your watch need to be properly cleaned, lubricated, and adjusted for accurate timekeeping, and case seals replaced to keep dirt and moisture out. While the watch is apart, ask your watchmaker to provide you with the serial number on the movement. There are lookup tables available on the interwebs that can provide you with the production year. Then you'll have an interesting timepiece to wear for many years to come.

Dan S, S.H. and BenBagbag like this.
  3. Willbur Apr 7, 2019

Is it possible to have a picture of the movement ?
    Black date disk make me suspicious.

4. rob#1 Apr 7, 2019