Forums Latest Members

Anyone Go Swimming With A Speedmaster?

1. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 30, 2016

Same caveats as a pro. Get it water tested, weak spot is the pushers, why risk it.

robinhook likes this.
  2. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Oct 30, 2016

No way. Just not worth it.

I take my recently serviced modern Ploprof swimming.

My vintage Ploprof was just serviced and is waterproof, but no way I'm swimming with that one either.

noelekal and Foo2rama like this.
  3. WurstEver Oct 30, 2016

We have a friend who has one of the Schumacher automatics in a sock drawer. It's a very cool watch, but it's not running. He's a keen surfer and he says he often used to wear it while surfing! Just for interest's sake, we recently offered to take it to a watchmaker to see how damaged it was. To our surprise, when the watchmaker opened it up, the movement looked clean (at least to my eye) and he said he couldn't see any sign of water damage. Apparently all that is needed is a full service and the watch should be good to go. We were shocked.

Jwit likes this.
  4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 30, 2016

It actually means 50m water resistance according to Omega...

5. meganfox17 Oct 30, 2016

[​IMG]

Jwit likes this.
  6. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Oct 30, 2016

Al, does Omega have any guidance on a controlled pressure Test as compared to normal use?

7. Hkolka Oct 30, 2016

I'm a bit confused as to why theres so much fuss. A watch is a tool thats meant to be worn, especially if its rated for 50m. I'm willing to bet if you go swimming with it, you'll be fine. I highly doubt you'll be submerged more than 5 feet anyway.

Wools likes this.
  8. meganfox17 Oct 30, 2016

I'll help out everyone here. I guess Mr Archer repeating himself over the years could be , perhaps a little tiring. I would be Sir !
    Here is what Mr Archer said 2 yrs ago rgd Speedies & WR[​IMG][​IMG]

Edited Oct 30, 2016
    JayBe, Caesar95, robinhook and 3 others like this.
  9. Faz Oct 30, 2016

My friend has been doing it it for the last 10 years. No issues. My watchmaker serviced his watch and it was all good. No signs of moisture infiltration. Having said that, I wouldn't have the courage to do the same.

Cheers

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 31, 2016

Hopefully this link works...

https://www.omegawatches.com/fileadmin/Customer_Service/omega_water_resistance_chart.pdf

In my view there are two issues usually mixed into one when this discussion comes up. What most people comment on is really their level of tolerance for risk, rather than the factual information that Omega publishes. What Omega says and the testing done backs up, is that the watch can withstand the pressures at 50 m depth and not leak. If properly maintained (not just checked, but actually maintained so seals replaced regularly) then there's no reason a watch in good condition should not be able to be used in water. If anyone chooses to do so is up to them of course, and I do have vintage watches that even if they pass pressure testing I would not take them in the water - the risk, even if small, is too great. But for a modern watch that replacement parts are available, I would not hesitate if the watch had the rating and had been properly maintained.

As noted if you do the math, the idea that moving your arms through the water will cause huge extra pressures just isn't the case.

I have seen and repaired many flooded watches - Speedmasters, Seamasters, and all kinds of other watches with varying water resistance levels. The key to avoiding damage is checking and replacement of the seals...

Cheers, Al

Caesar95, robinhook, GregH and 4 others like this.
  11. chich Oct 31, 2016

Yes, you can go swimming or snorkelling with it. Just be careful not to use the pushers underwater or you're gonna be in a world of trouble...

12. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 31, 2016

Jumped in the pool on a hot humid day several times in the first year or two having a new speedmaster and forgetting about it.

Had it three years now so probably wouldn't do it until after a service as I have not had it pressure tessted and seals changed since new.

Wear it as a tool watch nowdays and everytime I knock it at work I just smile as one day it's going to look like a cool beaten up 1960 s one ( for half the price ::psy::) As I have said to many a speedmaster buying newbie and @tyrantlizardrex make a new speedmaster vintage yourself.

13. tyrantlizardrex Oct 31, 2016

I personally wouldn't swim with a Speedmaster, tested or not.

But then I don't really like jumping into water with things that I've spent a good chunk of money on that were not 100% designed for messing about in water with - but that is just me!

As Archer says it's about mitigating risk, and trusting in the state of the seals/making sure they're maintained/changed properly.

I have a modern Seamaster APNEA that gets wet, and a vintage Seamaster 200m pilot line, that does not... because ones easier to fix if it leaks. ;)

noelekal likes this.
  14. vinn2 Oct 31, 2016

the humidity in the rain forest can be just as damaging as submersion. vinn.

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 31, 2016

Pragmatic approach, and certainly you need to work in your own level of comfort for risk. But saying that the intent of the designers was not to provide water resistance is false. The seals in the pushers, crown, and case back didn't get into the design by accident - it was certainly intentional. Now it's not a dive watch certainly, but for swimming it's perfectly fine - again if properly maintained.

Cheers, Al

Caesar95 and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  16. tyrantlizardrex Oct 31, 2016

With you!

:)

17. ulackfocus Oct 31, 2016

Al, stop messing up internet witch hunts and old wive's tales with facts. ;) :p You're ruining the Spee-eeee-eee-ee-eedmaster fan's lore, especially with the very true sentence above that's in bold.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  18. shoota70 Oct 31, 2016

Go buy a SKX for swimming.

It's built for diving, and if by chance it leeks you can throw it out and start over.

19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 31, 2016

Sorry! ;)

Well at least someone hasn't stated that it was "designed for use in space" yet...of course it wasn't designed for use in space, it was selected for use in space - big difference.

20. padders Oooo subtitles! Oct 31, 2016

Isn't the situation clouded by the issue of hermeticity? While it would be perfectly possible to make something like the Speedy Pro have a deeper depth rating by beefing up the seals or fitting screw down pushers, the NASA certification for EVA may be compromised if they did since the existing hesalite crystal would take a lot of stress and risk popping off if the watch were suddenly exposed to the vacuum of space without an easy path for the gas inside the watch to escape ie the seals. Plenty of non-Pro Speedmasters have deeper ratings as noted above in this thread. You either need to give the watch a way to outgas or secure the crystal more rigidly and in fact perhaps consider a stronger material than the existing crystal. I think having a watch suitable for duty simultaneously on Buzz Aldrin and Captian Nemo's wrists is just not easy from an engineering standpoint! Just a thought!

Edited Oct 31, 2016