Forums Latest Members

anyone ever order anything from ofrei dot com, Otto Frei?

1. bloodkrishna Jul 29, 2013

I wanna buy a 22mm mesh bracelet [the seatbelt buckle style one]
    I google it and found another forum post they recommend this ofrei site
    they got... almost every Omega bracelets

anyone order stuff from them before? reliable? good?

thanks in advance

2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 29, 2013

Otto Frei is a watch materials supplier and one of the oldest and most respected in the business. Known for their Omega inventory, all of which is genuine Omega. Very reliable.

Trev likes this.
  3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jul 29, 2013

Reliable and long established.

Recommended.

4. bloodkrishna Jul 29, 2013

thanks for your reply,
    I gonna get a mesh bracelet later :thumbsup:
    [I love this forum haha ::jumpy:: ]

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 29, 2013

For me personally, the absolute last resort place to buy something...

Cheers, Al

6. ulackfocus Jul 29, 2013

But Al, you aren't a regular person. You have Super Powers.

7. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 29, 2013

Perhaps not if you lived in Asia and had to pay retail. :p

8. sohail Jul 29, 2013

Reliable

9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 29, 2013

Yes , I would call by phone to make sure item is in stock.

mementomori1983 likes this.
  10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 29, 2013

Hey I know all the Omega collectors love these guys because they stock and sell Omega parts to people not in the trade, where many places won't sell to laypeople (with very understandable reasons for such policies in my view).

It's not about me having super powers and not being a regular person, but expecting the people I deal with to be at best friendly and cooperative, and at the very least not unpleasant, and also above all honest. I don't like to be made to feel that my business is more trouble than it's worth, and that is a pretty consistent thing from these people in my experience. Also, if someone sends me defective material, then promises me a refund, I expect to get that refund.

Let's just say that I have had less than satisfying dealings with these guys, so it's not about what parts I do and don't have access to - it's the way they do business. In some cases they have parts for vintage watches that are difficult to find, and I will use them, but again only as a last resort.

YMMV.

Cheers, Al

11. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jul 29, 2013

Yes I have heard that from others. I have purchased over a hundred items from ofrei.com - vast majority online - and the few times I have called they have been ok - not very friendly but didn't turn me off either. However julesborel.com has been a lot friendlier and helpful for me over the phone though their latest website revamp has made it a bit more challenging to place orders online.

12. bloodkrishna Jul 29, 2013

I would love to order on ebay, when I mailorder something
    but at this moment I can't find any 22mm mesh but one seller selling it on ebay at 529 dollars!!!
    wth!

I live in HK, I know a local store maybe have some NOS parts for sell
    not sure about the 22mm mesh, I visited it recently and it's closed, sad...
    before I made my order at ofrei I will visit the local store one more time , check if they really got it and the price

thanks for the help guys :thumbsup:

13. pascs Jul 29, 2013

You could check with watchco in Australia if they have 22mm Omega mesh. They have 20mm and 24mm and normally have the 22mm too - their prices are normally a bit cheaper than ofrei. Also make sure you check the length of the mesh because if you have larger wrists you'll need the extension too

14. MKelley Jul 29, 2013

IMHO & limited contact, Ofrei: Reliable/recommended.

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 29, 2013

I would much rather deal with Jules Borel. Both Paul and Gary have been great to work with, as well as their staff.

Gary in particular has gone to bat for me several times with Witschi over problems with both my pressure tester and timing machine, and has been able to get things covered under warranty when the equipment was actually out of the warranty period (some exceptional circumstances involved in both cases), saving me literally thousands of dollars in potential servicing/repair costs.

Yes the updated web site is not all that great, but considering they provide their parts interchange free of charge, which I'm sure many people use to source parts from other vendors so JB gets no benefit from it, I think they are an overall positive in the industry.

Of course I have suppliers here in Canada that I work with also, but for US suppliers, both Jules Borel and Casker are good people.

Cheers, Al

16. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 29, 2013

I have always been treated very well with Ofrei, but I have to agree Nobody is as friendly as the folks at Jules Borel.

17. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Jul 29, 2013

I think I spend easily thousands a year at Ofrei. They are pretty quick to ship. Although, Some things are bit overpriced it's hard to beat their selection.

18. Poday Jul 30, 2013

Also, the receptionist at Otto Frei is really easy on the eyes.

mementomori1983 likes this.
  19. mementomori1983 Jul 30, 2013

I've had a good experience with Otto Frei. I especially like that you can call them, verify if they have your item on-stock, and place an order on the same call. If you pick FedEx they'll ship it the same day, and for me that means that I get the item the next day since I live close by. :thumbsup:

20. alam Jul 30, 2013

Yes. I have bought a few basic watch tools and couple of Omega buckles..other than I think shipping fees are higher than actual costs, no issues with them.