Forums Latest Members
  1. Rasputin The Mad Monk of OF Jul 30, 2016

Most of us on the forum like the finer things in life. We obviously love our watches, cars, and liquor. However, do we have our share of cigar aficionados? If so what are your go to brand(s)? I'll start out: A. Fuentes Hemingway line esp their "Short Story".

watch3s and Rumar89 like this.
  2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 30, 2016

3. Hands90 Aug 3, 2016

Yes

4. ac106 Aug 6, 2018

Hello all,

Having recently gotten into cigars, later in life and being a total newb I figured there would be a thread here about cigars. Turns out this is pretty much it! I am surprised it didn't get more action but perhaps we can start anew.

What are some recommendations? Favorites? Redials to avoid?

Stripey likes this.
  5. Toishome Aug 6, 2018

Romeo y Julieta #2 :thumbsup: haven't touched one in 10 years since I quit smoking :(

Edited Jul 11, 2019
  6. WatchWalker Aug 6, 2018

I'm an occasional fan. Frequency varies from 2 months nothing up to a record of 25/week. But I would say normally 2 per week. RyJ is what I mostly smoke but do appreciate all Cuban. Picture of the last one I had this Saturday. A nice Montecristo torpedo.. IMG_9903.JPG

7. Hands90 Aug 6, 2018

non of my friends like them. Me and the old people. I smoked one on Friend and Saturday.
    Might have to have one tonight.

Now I'm buying better stuff and it's getting expensive fast.

8. alam Aug 6, 2018

I do infrequently these days as is not a so friendly activity to my blood pressure :( I do miss using my high speed, little torch lighter!

;)

Stripey likes this.
  9. Hands90 Aug 6, 2018

I'd like to buy a good lighter. I use a zippo.

10. WatchWalker Aug 6, 2018

I hope that's a zippo gas lighter and not a liquid fuel one?

Stripey and watch3s like this.
  11. Professor Aug 6, 2018

Only way to light a cigar is with a wooden match. Let the match burn past the head then flick the burned out head off or keep it away from the flame. Hold the burning wood well below the end of the cigar so the tobacco warms up and finally ignites without touching the flame. Large kitchen matches are the best.

"Romeo y Julieta #2 "
    I remember those. I haven't seen one in decades. I haven't cared much for cigars for many years. I might return to them after reading this thread sparked memories.

watch3s and Pazzo like this.
  12. WatchWalker Aug 6, 2018

If you use that same match to light up some cedar wood first and then use that burning wood to light your cigar, you are even more OG aficionado...

George.A and MikiJ like this.
  13. Hands90 Aug 6, 2018

If you really want to get into it you should be using matches but no one does this and when there's wind it's a nightmare. I go through a book like an idiot trying to get a light.

14. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Aug 6, 2018

One of our members gifted me a box of "real" Montecristo #2s. A little strong for me, but perfectly made.

15. Sweli Aug 6, 2018

Well, I used to. Problem was, that it gets to be an expensive hobby. I switched to pipes, and only rarely enjoy a cigar. Plus it has the added benefit of making me look like I might be thinking Deep Thoughts.

I've tried so many cigar brands over the years, I wouldn't want to recount. Some of my every day favorites were San Cristobal, CAO (LX2 was my fav), Punch Grand Puro, and Aurturo Fuente (mostly God of Fire).

Japanred likes this.
  16. Rman Aug 6, 2018

Really enjoy an occasional cigar but had a couple wonky smoking experiences lately.

First, a Liga DR that brought me to my knees a few weeks ago. :cautious:
    Then a Gurkha 15-cellar that fell apart in the first 1/3 last week, bad wrap.:rolleyes:

Don't smoke too often but realized I like medium/light better for relaxation and enjoyment, and ordered a box of Ashton Symmetry Robusto.

...staying tuned for recommendations.

17. joeshoup Aug 6, 2018

I enjoy a cigar every week or two... I would like more but finding a couple hours to smoke is always a challenge! Lately I've enjoyed the Rocky Patel Vintage 1990s, Tatuaje Bon Chasseurs, and Gran Habano Zulu Zulus.

18. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Aug 6, 2018

I enjoy a good cigar now and then, despite the 30% chance that I'll puke shortly thereafter.

STANDY likes this.
  19. rkman11 Aug 7, 2018

I do indeed. Padron, Fuente, My Father, and pretty much any dark oily sweet maduros!

20. DonFreem Aug 9, 2018

I can recommend Davidoff Primeros of the Nicaraguan, Dominican, and Escurio varieties. All are impeccably constructed with easy draw and flavor that belies their small size. I could usually get 20-30 minutes out of them. Plus they are reasonably priced compared to the full-sized shapes. Around $30 for a six-pack.

Stripey likes this.