Forums Latest Members

Anybody like Auricoste? Special Forces Military Intelligence?

1. Seiji Aug 24, 2016

I only have two, both French Military issued and in rough condition. The chronograph is from 13e RDP long range reconnaissance Telecommunications Team 6.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edited Aug 24, 2016
    Darlinboy and JimInOz like this.
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 24, 2016

Rough condition means that they have been used for what they were built and issued for.

I envy you.

tyrantlizardrex, Darlinboy and Seiji like this.
  3. dx009 Aug 24, 2016

They don't look rough to me. They look fine and completely wearable. :confused:

Seiji likes this.
  4. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Aug 24, 2016

I like "em.:thumbsup: And those are not easy to find.

A C.E.V. - issued Auricost Type 20 is the hen's tooth I've been chasing for a long long while.

Seiji likes this.
  5. Seiji Aug 24, 2016

They make great watches, but outside of the most knowledgeable milwatch enthusiasts, no one knows this elusive brand. I wish I had gotten a Breguet Type 20 CEV when they were around. Was just too much at that time!

Darlinboy likes this.
  6. Furze Aug 25, 2016

Very interesting!

7. Seiji Aug 25, 2016

The 13eme RDP Auricoste Chronographs were only used for a short time in mid 1980's. My assumption is that they were soon replaced with something more cost effective (Casio G-Shocks that started showing up 1983). These watches were used to time when the window for communications would be sent from field agents. Since it was too easy to detect EM transmissions, the technic used was to always be transmitting something to make high background "noise" and then transmit only at specific intervals true messages. This makes it difficult to detect when real messages are being sent.

There is an estimate that there are less than 200 of the 13eme DRP Auricoste Chronograph 1980 created.

One is exhibited on the Auricoste Museum
    [​IMG]

This was the common technique used by NATO
    [​IMG]

This was apparently state of the art field transmitter (NATO). No computer control.
    [​IMG]

This is the typical size of a Team 6 graduating class.
    [​IMG]

Darlinboy likes this.
  8. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Aug 25, 2016

Very cool stuff! I've never owned a military Auricoste, or a chrono, but did recently sell this rare time-only example to another forum member...

[​IMG]

rahilb, Darlinboy and GuiltyBoomerang like this.
  9. Seiji Aug 25, 2016

Wow, that is a beauty. Auricoste are generally scarce watches only known among military watch collectors. I think you made the new owner pretty happy with that fine watch.

Tony C. likes this.
  10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 25, 2016

Neat watches, although the first has a funky balance to it that the logo tries to resolve. The second looks suspiciously like another watch even the bezel and bracelet look like it came from something else...

::dives into google::

Hmm can't figure out either way... But there is a matching Zodiac to it...

::dives deeper into google::

Ahh this makes sense its a 1992 Tag Heuer... Not what I thought it was, but from this article it appears to be an ETA movement of some type and not what I was orginally thinking it was.

http://www.calibre11.com/heuer-1000m-spirotechnique/

Edited Aug 25, 2016
  11. Seiji Aug 25, 2016

Foo2rama likes this.
  12. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 25, 2016

Thanks for the info! My thought was it looked suspiciously like a Seiko diver. Crowns at 4 are not exactly common by that era.

13. Braindrain Aug 28, 2016

Great looking Auricoste watches. I'm hoping to get my hands on a mil-issued piece, myself!