Forums Latest Members
  1. CaptainWinsor May 31, 2019

so I’m refereeing a U10 game this evening. A defender shoved an attacking playing in the penalty area, I didn’t think it was that bad but then blew the whistle and in my head said ‘now what’. I didn’t want to award a penalty shot so I gave an indirect free kick from just inside the box. Total F up but I was in no mans land and had to think quick. Neither coach said anything and we moved on but I still feel bad. Luckily it had no outcome in terms of score. That’s the first big error I’ve made and feel really stupid. Unlike a lot of refs I take it seriously and now I’m worried about my game tomorrow.

2. sxl2004 May 31, 2019

Why was this a F up?
    Sounds reasonable to me. Unfortunately there is no grey zone in the box anymore, but not every foul is a penalty.

3. michael22 May 31, 2019

I reffed U11 today.
    In Aus., we have different rules for the little guys: all free kicks are indirect. Offences in the box will be awarded an indirect FK from the edge of the penalty box.
    By these rules, you did it right. But what country are you in?

CaptainWinsor likes this.
  4. CaptainWinsor May 31, 2019

In the US. Not excusing myself but with the young kids, they are so focused on the ball and I really think they just are not aware of the rules and aren’t mature enough to think and play at the same time. Earlier I did a U8 girls game. It was like watching a swarm of bees as they all just chase the ball and kick at it. Someone falls down and I hear the parents screaming for a foul. Really?

The other thing they have here is what they call the Build out Line used up to U10. 14 yards from the goal line. When the keeper has the ball no one from the other team can enter that area until the ball is played by another player. US Soccer feels it helps kids learn to build out from the back as no punting is allowed until U11. It actually doesn’t do anything as most goal keepers just run to the line and throw it. Also there is no offside except from the 14 yard line and in. Of course there’s no heading either until U13

5. michael22 Jun 1, 2019

It's all crazy.
    In U11, we are meant to "introduce" the concept of offside. U10 has no offside, U12 plays the full rule.
    So, a month ago, I disallow a goal due to egregious offside, free kick to the defenders. Give the attackers an explanation.
    At halftime, a parent from one team is telling me there is officially no offside in U11, which is technically correct. But how does a ref "introduce" it? 2 minutes later a parent from the other team is telling me I have to do something about the offsides, how are the kids going to learn otherwise? Didn't you see me disallow the goal...

I subscribe to the theory, that if the kids have fun & want to play again next year, I've done a good job. Parents aren't important.

CaptainWinsor and wagudc like this.
  6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 1, 2019

I yellow carded an U6 although might have been U8 it was a very long time ago.

Goalie grabs the ball another kid runs up and kicks the goalie... call the foul warn the kid nicely that he can’t do that. Happens again about 5 minutes later and he tries to kick the ball from the goalies hands, I have the coach talk to him. Next quarter he does it a third time and kicks the goalie in the face.... what else do you do? The coach wouldn’t pull him voluntarily. Told the kid if he does it again I’m removing him from the game.

It did not go down well. The parents neglected to tell the league the kid had kicked the goalie 3 times...

Edited Jun 1, 2019
    michael22 likes this.
  7. rob#1 Jun 1, 2019

I guess in U10s the indirect kick works OK. I’ve reffed a lot of U11 and U12 games, and would definitely give a penalty at that level as it’s a learning experience. We only play offside with the U12s, apart from that the game’s pretty much identical to the adult version.

I do have yellow and red cards but just having them seems to be enough of a deterrent. There are sometimes issues with parents; sadly, an old friend of mine gave it away because he couldn’t stand the abuse.

8. sxl2004 Jun 1, 2019

Here in the US soccer parents su. I gave up coaching at kindergarten (6yr)) when during a game my team dominated a parent from the other team made one of my players cry, played to help her undermanned team, fouled one of my players and played goalie.
    I do not envy the refs and application of rules is inconsistent, but they are volunteering their time so alttle respect is in order.

9. frederico Jun 1, 2019

A parent played in a soccer game where all the other players were 6 year olds? I’d seriously love to know what was going on in that parent’s head when they decided that was a good idea ::screwloose::

Edited Jun 1, 2019
    michael22 and connieseamaster like this.
  10. sxl2004 Jun 1, 2019

Exactly my question.
    Those parents teach their kids not loose, not how to win. Suburban crazy parenting markets in everything here

11. wagudc Jun 1, 2019

You did the right thing.

michael22 and sxl2004 like this.
  12. CaptainWinsor Jun 1, 2019

I don’t even acknowledge the parents who are screaming at me. I feel bad for the kids. If their parents are that crazy at the game they must be just as bad at home. My son just became a ref. He’s 12 and works with me as AR or refs 7v7 games. There’s a lot of young kids becoming refs but just as many quit because of the abuse. I won’t tolerate it and will ask any abusive parent to leave. It’s a great job at 12. My son gets $18 for the 7v7 games and $27 as AR for U14. You can’t earn that kind of money for 70 min work. You can’t even get a real job at 12

michael22 and sxl2004 like this.
  13. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jun 1, 2019

My son is 6, and on a kindergarten team here in the US. It is his first year playing. They play 3x3 or 4x4 on small fields with small goals and no keepers. And there are no refs, and no scorekeeping. While I think it is still a bit too organized for 6 years olds (better to focus on handling the ball then playing games in my opinion), it represents a nice balance. There are some competitive parents though; this morning a mother from the other team ran out onto the field to high-five her kid when he scored a goal, and she was keeping score of the game and yelling it out to the kids. And there is one coach in the league that has a dominating team, and the kids run down a line high-fiving each other every time one of them scores (which is about 20 times/ game). I spend most of my time during the games trying to get my kid to snap out of his many daydreams and actually get involved a little in the play (and I am usually unsuccessful) ::shy::

14. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Jun 1, 2019

Whad'ya mean "US Soccer"? No such thing! :D from what I've read above, it would appear that you don't actually play Association Football. ::confused2:: ...... Do the kids wear wooly boots and are the goal posts made out of foam rubber? Mind you don't you blow that whistle too loud!.... You might frighten them! :D

I played under 12 football back in 1969. We played in rain, Snow and mud and if we didn't drop back and defend we got a kick up the 'arse' from the sports teacher.:eek:

Now listen mate! I'll help you out here. :) ......If you want to know how the game is played, grab a beer and watch the European Champions League Final on TV.
    Liverpool v Tottenham Hotspur (both from the English Premier League) It starts in about 20 minutes.
    Enjoy the game!:thumbsup:

Edited Jun 1, 2019
    michael22 and CaptainWinsor like this.
  15. CaptainWinsor Jun 1, 2019

Oh I’m watching now. My son plays for a Liverpool International Team here in Michigan. When I said US Soccer I meant the USSF , US Soccer Federation who make the idiotic decisions here.

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  16. CaptainWinsor Jun 1, 2019

My son used to be like that. Picking weeds, rolling in the grass. Now I spend most of my time yelling at him to give a 100% despite being on a terrible team. I don’t really understand the no keeping score. The kids always know what the score is. Good idea in theory but even 6 year olds know they won/lost.

sxl2004 likes this.
  17. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Jun 1, 2019

Don't take me seriously....I'm only joking mate.:D Heading those big heavy wet leather balls we used years ago probably made us all a bit mental.:eek:

I think the modern European game (at the highest level) involves too many nasty tricks thsee days. Players diving, biting, two footed tackles, holding during set pieces and trying to get opponents sent off. Actually, your use of a smaller pitch for young, little, legs and some of your rules that allow space to improve skills on the ball sound pretty good to me.:)

18. CaptainWinsor Jun 1, 2019

So it wasn’t the best final I’ve seen but Liverpool won and that’s good

3nicewatches likes this.
  19. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Jun 1, 2019

Amen!

20. Humptymarsbar Jun 2, 2019

Don't beat yourself up, you made a instant decision, which was fair I think, which is part of the game.
    Or spend millions of £'s on VAR and still get it wrong! Lol
    On a serious note Refs are a vital part of football and do it for the love of it and come in for some undeserved criticism and sometimes violent assault.