Forums Latest Members

Any rugby union guys out there

1. peterkirk01 May 8, 2019

Heineken cup final this weekend and I just cannot wait . Last minute decision to go so here is my roundabout way to get there. I live in Dublin. Dublin to Belfast drive very early Saturday morning fo 7am flight to Birmingham. Car hire Birmingham then 2.5 hour drive to nearest cheap hotel to Newcastle which is in Middlesbrough. 1.5 hour train journey to Newcastle. Few pints before the match. Train back to Middlesbrough. Early start Sunday morning back to Birmingham for Belfast flight then drive back to Dublin. Roundabout way I know and my team in this case are the underdogs but I just cannot wait. Only 3 more sleeps.

sdre and padders like this.
  2. verithingeoff May 8, 2019

Many, many years ago I played tight head, in the RAF and then for local teams. Buggered up my knees and hips but had a great time. Now as a true blue Australian I lament what is happening to the code down here. We seem to be in a self destruction cycle. I have to say that these days I get more pleasure watching AFL..... Go Lions.....

sdre likes this.
  3. redzer007 May 8, 2019

Underdogs, you must be a mislocated Sarries supporter. When Leinster turn on the gas they are very hard to beat. Misfiring this year I accept, but been good when it mattered.

Allez les bleu

sdre likes this.
  4. sdre May 8, 2019

Playing vets now. Asia based but Super Rugby is all I watch.

Heineken cup looks good but I'm afraid Saracens are gonna run away with it.

5. jimmyd13 May 8, 2019

Do you get that hip pain that shoots straight down to your shin? The knees are pretty shot but it's the hips that really bug me. If I've been (sat) sitting in one position for a while, I can't be sure either will move with me when I get up .... and I'm not f***** old!

6. blacka01 May 8, 2019

Looking forward to the game too. Ulster by birth but lived in Dublin for many years very close to Donnybrook where Leinster used to play. Not expecting a great spectacle on Saturday, more likely a tense war of attrition.

Used to play a bit myself through school and University, second row / blind side /No. 8. Great sport and legendary post match sessions. :) Still meet meet up with my old Uni rugby pals for at least one 6N game per season - life long friendships!

7. peterkirk01 May 8, 2019

And there I was thinking I was on my own as a rugby supporter who likes watches and definitely not the other way around.

8. madjestikmoose Can’t bat, can’t bowl May 8, 2019

Bristol supporter! Love watching it; hate playing it, at least I did when I was a weedy schoolkid. Some PE teachers are absolute bastards.

BatDad likes this.
  9. peterkirk01 May 8, 2019

Would you not switch to supporting Exeter. You could then wear that silly headgear and pretend you are back in the wild west. Joking.

madjestikmoose likes this.
  10. madjestikmoose Can’t bat, can’t bowl May 8, 2019

Ha, I do sort of support Exeter, my folks live down that way and we've been to see them play a few times. But no - Bristol Til I Die ;-)

11. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much May 8, 2019

Semi-retired enthusiastic amateur with shot knees and liver but still love the game.
    Long suffering Tigers supporter for my sins. Good luck in final but think Sarries may have the edge

12. p4ul “WATERRROOP” to 50m May 8, 2019

I feel your pain, Bath supporter.
    +1 for Sarries to win.

Gav1967 and madjestikmoose like this.
  13. peterkirk01 May 8, 2019

Think of 2011. Northampton cruising at half time. One Northampton supporter asked had we left our best at home at half time. What a reply. Johnny Sexton asked questions and they were answered in spades. I do agree on paper sarries should win but look at liverpool last night . Still cannot believe that England let us have Stuart Lancaster work for a provincial Irish team and that is saying nothing of Andy Farrell becoming the Irish coach and England keeping that guy Eddie Jones. Unbelievable.

p4ul, redzer007 and Gav1967 like this.
  14. madjestikmoose Can’t bat, can’t bowl May 8, 2019

My two-penn'orth... Jones will be out of the door quicker than Capello was once England get dumped out of the World Cup. They'll make Baxter an offer he can't refuse and then the real work will begin.

15. peterkirk01 May 8, 2019

Never. They will recruit from the southern hemisphere once again. Why. We ( Ireland ) have Conor o'shea coaching Italy and bernard Jackman out the just waiting for the opportunity. Let's keep local coaches coaching national teams. Only my opinion. Bring on Japan.

16. p4ul “WATERRROOP” to 50m May 8, 2019

Maybe a bit soon for Baxter, another couple of years of wider experience. I would love to see Dean Richards resurrected!

madjestikmoose likes this.
  17. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers May 8, 2019

That is one crazy way to visit Newcastle.
    I'm actually visiting my home town at the moment but unfortunately I'm not going to the game on Saturday (my brother is going and will be supporting Leinster)
    It's a shame that you are leaving again in the evening as Newcastle, which is renowned for its party atmosphere anyway (for that read a really really wild night out) will be even more jumping as there will be thousands of French (Clermont Auvergne and La Rochelle are playing the day before), thousands of Irish, thousands of southerners and (many) tens of thousands of Geordies all in town that night.
    St James holds 52,000 and I understand it has been pretty much sold out for both games for months.

If you want to feel at home, make sure you go to the Tyneside Irish Centre, which is, literally, a stone's throw from the ground.

Screen Shot 2019-05-09 at 00.07.52.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-09 at 00.09.13.png

18. peterkirk01 May 8, 2019

Thanks for the recommendations. We will certainly try to visit as many establishments as we can..

19. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers May 8, 2019

you're welcome and you won't be short of choice or disappointed at what is on offer.

20. Brendon May 8, 2019

I’m New Zealand based, a past player, manager and coach. Now sideline supporter of an 8 year old - and of course the Hurricanes and All Blacks. Looking forward to the World Cup. It’s a very open competition this time round!!

p4ul, blacka01 and sdre like this.