Forums Latest Members

Any red flags on this Memovox Ref 855?

1. Optimizer13 Dec 21, 2015

I have a local offer and everything looks original and in great condition to me but would like to check if there are flaws I'm missing here. The case looks good (lugs are in good shape), movement is clean and correct Cal 825, dial seems original (?), inner dial also original (?), signed crowns are correct, unsigned crystal. All functions work perfectly. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

1mint.jpg 2mint.jpg 3mint (1).jpg 3mint.jpg 4mint.jpg 5mint (1).jpg 5mint.jpg 6mint.jpg lecmovement.jpg
  2. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Dec 21, 2015

Looks like a very nice example to me, 1967ish, one of the later for dauphine hands. May have been polished, but with a very light hand if so. Would be a goer for me if the price is right. :thumbsup:

Optimizer13 and Hijak like this.
  3. Horlogerie EU based Professional Watchmaker Dec 21, 2015

It looks really good.

The one item I see on these models that is damaged often is the caseback hold down ring. Without the caseback in place, try screwing and unscrewing the ring only to see how well it threads and tightens down.

I come across many of these that are damaged, just had one in recently that looked good initially and opened up without any problems, but when I went to install it I discovered that the threads were damaged.

Also have a check of the positioning of the alarm vs the time when it rings, these have to be lined up along with the date change for the hands and getting all 3 lined up is time consuming, so check it all out to make sure the prior work was done properly.

Advance the time past midnight and check when the date changes.

Then set the alarm arrow to say 2 o'clock, wind the alarm, advance the hands slowly and see at exactly what time the alarm rings, it should be within 10 minutes or so +- from 2 o'clock.

Love these watches, so clean and bright dials.

Rob

4. Optimizer13 Dec 22, 2015

Thanks Darlinboy!

5. Optimizer13 Dec 22, 2015

Thanks for the great tips, Rob!

6. saturn1981 Dec 22, 2015

looks goods :thumbsup:

7. Optimizer13 Dec 22, 2015

Actually, I didn't end up buying this. The watch is ok but the seller is literally the most rude and unpleasant person I have dealt with in this watch world. Seller thinks I'm insulting him by asking about originality of the watch. He gets insulted I needed 2 days to think about it (without reserving the watch).

Thanks for all your inputs, though!

8. saturn1981 Dec 22, 2015

Asking alot of questions shouldn't be a problem to sellers. If they are rude like that i would say there's something wrong with the watch.
    I glad that you didn't buy the watch.

adam78, ELV web and Optimizer13 like this.