Forums Latest Members

Any of You Guys Funding Watches and More with Stocks

1. wjgesq Jan 16, 2021

Figured some you might do some trading from time to time. SRNE "Sorrento" and TSLA and ARKK (funds) are all of tremendous interest to me and have been doing well.

2. Marsimaxam Jan 16, 2021

I can't say I have ever funded the purchase of a watch by selling stocks. Recently I have sold watches to buy watches, but in the distant past it was a combination of income and selling of watches. I do, however, wish I had bought more Apple Stock instead of a vintage Double Red Sea Dweller in 1999.

3. NGO1 Jan 16, 2021

wished I buy more of that bullshit internet coin thingy, instead of buying equally useless wrist thingies.
    Yes, of course I’m on the waitlist for the dog-on-wrist thingy.

So, “no” to OPs question.

Edited Jan 16, 2021
  4. vintage hab Jan 17, 2021

I’ve funded my retirement through the market, but not watches.
    You may already know this, but there is a thread here dedicated to the stock market:
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/stock-market-gurus.111516/page-28#post-1674381

5. pw92676 Jan 17, 2021

No. I separate spending money from investing money. The two don’t mix well for me and I prefer it this way. The latter always takes precedence.

6. Dsloan Jan 17, 2021

I invest to work towards financial independence. Then, I'll have more money to buy watches, I hope.

Seriously, I've been having trouble pulling the trigger on new watches lately. Hard for me to justify spending $3K+ on a watch during such a bull market.

Taddyangle likes this.
  7. worldwidewes Jan 17, 2021

I totally agree with this. Investing and preparing for the future comes first, watches and other fun stuff comes way after that. I think it's dangerous for people to confuse the two.

8. worldwidewes Jan 17, 2021

I just checked what AAPL was selling at in 1999 and I'm stunned. A 127x increase in 20 years. It's also a reminder that even the fastest appreciating watches out there probably don't get you a higher return than the market average.

vintage hab likes this.
  9. Rhone1 Jan 17, 2021

Selling equities to purchase a watch is not a great idea.

One invests in equities to build wealth and income. Owning a watch could be "collecting" but are more difficult to sell quickly for a certain price. Equity growth also compounds, collectable items like watches do not.

Perhaps one might be fortunate enough to want to sell something that is in high demand and can make a profit on the sale of a watch, but it is a lot less likely than the growth of equities.

connieseamaster likes this.
  10. Burr Jan 17, 2021

If you’re into the more desirable watches, theoretically your watches could fund your watches.. but that would require you to of course sell off pieces of your collection.

personally I keep the two separate and have taken the approach of trying to acquire as many as my grails now after continuing to see them go up over the years... this will work out for me if I can hold off buying watches later in my life. So far quite happy with this approach as I’m very satisfied with my current collection.

11. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 17, 2021

If you need to sell assets to buy watches .... walk away. Watches are not an investment. They are tangible goods that may or not be resold at a profit, break even or loss. They don’t provide dividends for reinvestment, split, get matched by employers. They are however fascinating to own, wear and read about.

lindo likes this.
  12. Burr Jan 17, 2021

At the end of the day it’s a luxury item which means it’s not necessary to live which means it should be bought with extra funds.

Plan accordingly gents and ladies, know your long term and short term goals and the financials required to achieve. Best of luck.

vintage hab likes this.
  13. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Jan 17, 2021

I have been very lucky to have funded most of my premium watches with the profits from watches I purchased early on in my collecting. Unfortunately the watch flipping has pretty much ground to a halt.

14. Dan S Jan 17, 2021

Pretty hard to generalize here. I'm sure there are plenty of members who have more than enough assets to last their lifetime, so I don't see anything wrong with selling stocks to buy watches, if that's what they want to do. On the other hand, for someone still trying to save for retirement, I agree it's a good idea to keep the two things separate.

Taddyangle, fibonacci and vintage hab like this.
  15. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jan 17, 2021

I haven't sold stocks to buy watches, but buying watches has kept me from buying as much stock as I would have otherwise.

16. Walrus Jan 17, 2021

I’m with most people here I don’t look at money in stocks as money to be used for watches since I do it for my wife and myself retirement and education for our adopted son. I understand though if you have been in Apple or Tesla for years it’s very tempting to want to use it to get something like a watch. Anyway if people are doing that I’m sure they are in positions where they can so probably nothing wrong with it. It’s always fun to talk about stocks and finance etc but it’s really not the place to give or take advice.

17. rcb Jan 17, 2021

First, I am fortunate to have stocks and not have to worry about financial security at a time when many, many people are struggling to make ends meet. It is crazy what the market has done in 2020. I can not imagine selling stocks to buy a watch.

Starman71 likes this.
  18. tgeekb Jan 17, 2021

As most others have said, no.
    I purchase watches with disposable income or wouldn't buy them at all.

Well, maybe one.

19. Faz Jan 17, 2021

I tried trading my stock for a SS Daytona...to no avail...
    IMG_1734.JPG

Foo2rama, Dsloan and Walrus like this.
  20. Walrus Jan 26, 2021

Well I went to the stock market guru thread found it’s closed. Oh well. Was going to report Elon musk tweeted “I like esty” as he bought something for his dog there and the stock went up 8.5%. Now that’s power

Taddyangle likes this.