Forums Latest Members
  1. mrchen Oct 18, 2019

Hey all,

Just picked up this great little CK2450, and in the process of switching out the old rusted springbars for new ones I accidentally jammed the spring bar tool a little too far into the lug end, boring a rather ugly looking dent into the lug :unsure:. Is there any hope to polish this to even out the case again? Maybe just continue to wear as a chilling reminder to be gentle to your vintage pieces??

IMG_5396.jpg IMG_5397.jpg IMG_5398.jpg image_123927839.JPG
  2. Dan S Oct 18, 2019

Holy crap, you must have gorilla hands. It could potentially be repaired by laser welding, at a price.

3. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Oct 18, 2019

What were you using, a drill press?

4. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Oct 18, 2019

Based on the work I witnessed by my trumpet tech... bring it to a manufacturing jeweler where that than be burnished down and buffed. If it's that soft, though, it might be plated base metal, and results might be not pretty.

Tom

5. mrchen Oct 18, 2019

It was one of those springbar tools with the pin end that flairs outward. The old springbar on it was rusted shut, had to use some elbow grease to get the spring to depress for me...

I believe the case is stainless steel, so I should be fine as far as polishing goes...

6. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Oct 18, 2019

Probably. But if you can flare it, an experienced metalsmith can hammer it back down.

My trumpet tech is third generation brass instrument repair. Dent your mouthpiece? He can raise that dent! Nothing short of astonishing.

You might have to do some hunting to get the right jeweler, but when you do....

Tom

7. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 18, 2019

A decent jeweler should be able to ease it back into a proper shape without adding any metal (no need to weld).

VetPsychWars likes this.