Forums Latest Members

Any good vintage watch hunting in SF?

1. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 2, 2014

Heading off to the Bay Area for a couple of days work and couple of days play.

Anyone know of a nice, reasonable vintage watch seller with a store in downtown SF?

Before anyone else says it...I know that nothing is reasonable in SF.

But everything is relative.
    gatorcpa

2. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Aug 2, 2014

Jacek at hqmilton might be good.

JohnSteed, CdnWatchDoc and Spacefruit like this.
  3. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 3, 2014

First thing you see at baggage claim at San Jose airport:

image.jpg

gatorcpa

philgund likes this.
  4. M.D. Aug 3, 2014

I've never been to HQMilton, but I did get a chance to meet Jacek at a show in Brooklyn last week. He was a really nice guy and gave me a good deal on a Flightmaster 910. They deal mostly in Rolex, and although I'm currently an Omega man, he had some very nice GMT's that were tempting. I'm sure they'd definitely be worth a stop while you're there.

5. DanOmega Aug 3, 2014

Check out Seregins on Mason & O'farrell St. It's inside the Mason St. garage. Just 3-4 blocks from Union Sq. Look for Paul, the owner. He's Russian. I've been going to him for 17 yrs now for my watch repair, etc... He's got great reviews in Yelp. Call him before you land in SF.

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 3, 2014

That's very close to my hotel. I might check that out.

Thanks!
    gatorcpa

7. DanOmega Aug 3, 2014

You're welcome. Anytime.

8. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Aug 4, 2014

I second the recommendation for Seregin's. Paul (owner) is extremely pleasant on good days and sarcastic on bad days but I like him. I have the distinction of making three purchases from him. The first preceded the second by over 20 years! The third was a Patek Philippe Comet. He'll remember the watch but won't remember my name (I don't see him often). I wonder if he still has the vintage 1955 Calatrava 2508 I traded toward the Comet?

9. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jan 9, 2016

I will be in SF next weekend and plan to hit Seregin's, as it's only a block from my hotel. Aside from Seregin's and HQ Milton, does anyone know of any other vintage shops in San Francisco that aren't quite as high-end as those two?

10. calalum Jan 9, 2016

There used to be a nice vintage shop on Union Street, which is not near Union Square but is a great place to walk around. Not sure if it is still there.

11. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jan 9, 2016

Do you remember if it was Marcello Watches & Repair?

12. lillatroll Jan 10, 2016

I visited SF a few years ago. A woman walked up to where I was standing outside my hotel, dropped a magazine on the street, pulled up her dress did a poo and walked off like it was the most normal thing in the world.

13. Rman Jan 10, 2016

I lived there for 10 years and can tell you that HQ and Seregin are the only two that I encountered.
    And yes, if you hang around the Tenderloin long enough you will experience humanity in all of its forms and functions.;)

14. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jan 10, 2016

Did she crap a vintage watch, by any chance?

15. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jan 10, 2016

In the Tenderloin? Off Market? ;)

16. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jan 12, 2016

I remember a shop called Paris 1925 on Union, but closed long ago (Richard Paige was the proprietor). There used to be a few stores around town, now all gone. What locals remember Zeitgeist on Hayes (Carsten Marsch was the best watchmaker I knew), Moments and Movements on Sacramento (Jeff Ancker now sells real estate in the City)...? All 90's establishments.
    Sorry, this doesn't help you at all, but I was feeling nostalgic. I grew up 20 minutes east of SF (well, 60 minutes now with traffic...).