Forums Latest Members

Another "should I" thread...

1. Northernman Lemaniac Feb 13, 2014

Hi!
    I have to admit that my knowledge on the El Primero caliber is not where it should be.
    I am a caliber oriented collector, and my collection of chronographs, automatic, manual and humming ones, are ever growing.
    A good friend of mine has an El Primero which I guess dates from the 1990s. He is talking about parting with it. Is this something I would want, or are there reasons why this style or movement generation should not be on my candidate list?
    The watch runs and looks very good IMO.

Comments and input appreciated. The price I may buy it for will be around GBP1200.

El Primero.jpg

2. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Feb 13, 2014

I think that's a mid to late 90's Rainbow, ref. 02.0360.400. I like these Rainbows. The most sought-after model will always be the multi-colored one, but it will also cost you substantially more than £1200. I was wondering about the white-on-black date wheel, as the examples I've been able to find have black-on-white wheels, but here's a thread with a catalog shot of one with a white-on-black wheel... cooler than the black-on-white, if you ask me.

http://orologi.forumfree.it/?t=55761869

It should have a nice sailboat and the word "Rainbow" engraved on the case back. I think the winding crown on your example might be a replacement.

3. Northernman Lemaniac Feb 13, 2014

Crown has been replaced. Reciepts follows the watch on the service job.
    Crisp and nice sailboat and Rainbow text is there.
    Are the movements considered to be good versions?

Thanks!

4. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Feb 13, 2014

Nice piece & respected caliber at a reasonable price from a trusted source? I'd grab it.....

Be warned though..... you might need another.... and another..... and another......

Northernman likes this.
  5. Veritas99 Feb 13, 2014

Winding crown is a replacement, but that's a very good price, and comparable models are listed for more on the 'bay. Retail list price in the mid/late 90s was £4,445.

Overall, it's a nice example, but I'm not sure about the collectiblity. Some consider the fixed bezel line a ripoff of the Daytona, which came out earlier and had a similar look (and was powered by a modified EP cal 400).

Northernman and MMMD like this.
  6. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Feb 13, 2014

All true. But others might look at it as an all in-house Daytona-like chrono at a fraction of the cost. ;)

Northernman likes this.
  7. Spike Feb 13, 2014

I'm new to all this, can offer no constructive advice but I say, 'buy it', if only because it means that you might have to let something else go from your lovely collection:thumbsup:

Syrte likes this.
  8. Northernman Lemaniac Feb 13, 2014

:cool:

9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 25, 2016

Over two years later , time for fresh thoughts in reference to today's environment, trends and ideas.

10. Northernman Lemaniac Aug 25, 2016

It's still sitting with my friend. I have a first DIBS on it but have not really thought about it for a long while.
    I have a feeling that gbp 1200 today may be regarded as a hostile takeover?
    :(