Forums Latest Members
  1. SouthernScot Mar 23, 2017

Hello to all. My name is Duncan and I have been around on the forum since the end of last year. I came across it when I was looking for somewhere reliable to get my Speedmaster serviced. I got hooked on reading all the threads and it wasn't long before the name STS was mentioned so a big thank you already for that. I met Simon in February and went back last Monday to collect, to say I'm impressed is an understatement, they also refurbished the bracelet which had become stretched and is now like new. I cannot claim to be a collector as I only have three watches but I am certainly an enthusiast (although not very knowledgeable). The three that I have are the Speedmaster which was a twenty first birthday present from my mum and dad, a Seamaster chrono which was a present from my wife on my sixtieth birthday and a rather battered Universal Monodate which I inherited from my dad just over ten years ago and which he bought new in 1956 to celebrate a new job. At Christmas after dropping a lot of hints my wife gave me the Moonwatch Only book and I have really enjoyed checking details of my own watch and reading up on all the different models. I look forward to much more browsing on the forum and maybe contributing when I feel a bit more confident with all the knowledgeable people around here.
    Attached are photos of the watches mentioned, these are my first attempts at watch photos, the Seamaster being almost impossible to get a decent image showing the dial detail.

thumbnail_IMG_0115.jpg thumbnail_IMG_0100.jpg thumbnail_IMG_0102.jpg

davidswiss, ahartfie, Omega1 and 9 others like this.
  2. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Mar 23, 2017

Welcome and love your avatar, any special story behind it ?

3. immustard A condiment that loves to chive to thyme songs Mar 23, 2017

Welcome,wish I got presents like that!

4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 23, 2017

Welcome to the forum, three is a collection :thumbsup:

You have the OF trifecta

Speedmaster
    New watch
    Vintage watch

SouthernScot likes this.
  5. SouthernScot Mar 23, 2017

Thanks for the welcome and I realise I have been very lucky with these watches, the Speedy was chosen over a Rolex sub, it was picked because l preferred the look of it and I have always been a motor racing fan and it was used for timing at meetings, I have never regretted my choice. This also related to my choice of avatar. I don't know if you are into motor racing, Alfa, but when I was very young in the 1950's and growing up in Scotland I avidly followed the exploits of the Edinburgh based racing team "Ecurie Ecosse" whose main claim to fame was winning Le Mans in 1956 and 1957 with "D type" Jaguars

davidswiss, Omega1, Alpha and 2 others like this.
  6. Greatoldone Mar 23, 2017

IMG_0244.JPG IMG_0243.JPG

Welcome! :thumbsup:

7. SouthernScot Mar 23, 2017

Just love those pictures!

8. FREDMAYCOIN Mar 23, 2017

Great collection, with impressive connection.

9. ConElPueblo Mar 23, 2017

Welcome on board - great introduction :)

Fantastic UG, never seen one of those before.

SouthernScot likes this.
  10. Maganator Mar 23, 2017

Welcome and what a great collection you have!

11. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Mar 23, 2017

Welcome Duncan! Three very interesting watches you've got there. That Seamaster is pretty uncommon as far as I know. I have probably seen only a handful of 18k cal. 2500 Aqua Terras, and yours might be the first live photo (i.e. not a photoshopped version on Omega's website) I've ever seen of a black dialed gold AT. My first modern Omega was a steel cal. 2500 Aqua Terra that I purchased new 10 years ago next month. Brings back fond memories. ::love::

SouthernScot likes this.
  12. SouthernScot Mar 23, 2017

Regarding the UG other than my dad buying it from Benson's in 1956 (where he also bought my Speedy) I know nothing about it. If anyone here knows anything about this model information would be welcome. My dad wore this as his only watch for fifty years so it is not surprising looks a bit 'lived in' but I like it!

Greatoldone likes this.
  13. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Mar 23, 2017

My late father purchased a Sunbeam Rapier from 'Ecurie Ecosse' in if my memory is correct the late fifties/ early sixties. What a machine and went like the proverbial clappers spitting flame on the over run, only downside was braking or lack of and I remember him spending a lot on upgrading the braking system. I certainly was one of the cool kids when my old man would give me a lift to school as he never held back working the gears and accelerator ::love::

SouthernScot and Greatoldone like this.
  14. Omega1 Mar 23, 2017

Welcome to the forum, and thanks sharing pictures of those three beautiful time pieces ...:thumbsup:

SouthernScot likes this.