Forums Latest Members
  1. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Mar 2, 2016

Hi everyone, Paul here, and I'm new to the board. I live in the country of watchmaking, i.e. Switzerland, where I settled many years ago for work. It doesn't mean I have an insane watch collection... quite the opposite actually! With a significant proportion of oddball stuff including a few dreaded quartz mechanisms.

I only have one Omega. This is a Seamaster DeVille. I got it from my dad 20 years ago, this was the first watch he bought himself on his own money back in the days. He tried to remember the date he bought it (in Geneva, actually!), and he believes it was in '64, but he isn't 100% sure. It was cleaned and received a new plexi and veal strap in 1996 when he gave it to me, but other than this it's all original, and the dial is in stunning shape as it has never seen a single drop of water. Feel free to chime in if you know better about the MY!

(and upon posting this pic, I realize it's time to change that plexi again)
    [​IMG]

And, 20 years after by the way, I've decided I want another vintage Omega... It'll be a Seamaster Mk II with racing dial. Nothing else :)

Talk to you soon!
    Best,
    Paul

Jones in LA, Foo2rama and demollo like this.
  2. demollo Mar 2, 2016

Welcome to the forum Paul. Pretty cool that you dad passed the watch to you. I hope to pass mine to my son one day as well :) good luck on the hunt for Mk II

3. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Mar 2, 2016

Thanks,

I'm wearing it today, actually. My dad and I haven't gotten along well all the time, but as he's at the twilight of his life now, this is probably one of the elements (this and cars... boys' toys) that have brought us a bit closer together. Funny I'm talking like this on a forum... I guess appreciate the welcoming atmosphere to noobs, here :)

Can I actually ask a dumb question, as a first-timer? The little red box at the top of the screen with a number in it, between "latest" and "auctions", is obviously emphasizing that something happened since last visit. But there is no link with it... so what does it point to, really?

Thanks and talk soon - and that 145.014 with Racing dial will be mine at some point :D

Paul

4. demollo Mar 2, 2016

I love cars as well :) You are right these are the boys toys..

As for the number - it is an Alert that someone interacted with your thread, or the thread you posted at. Wnen you click on it there is a tab "alerts", click on that and you will see who interacted with your threads/posts etc.

5. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Mar 2, 2016

Thanks for the kind help :) Actually, when I click on it, it sends me to the "auctions" page, and nothing when I hover over it... I'm using Chrome on a PC. Let me try IE and see what happens.

Thank you!
    Paul

6. demollo Mar 2, 2016

It is not between the Latest and Auction. Click on Latest , then you will see tabs : Threads, posts, followed, alerts . Click on Alerts

7. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Mar 2, 2016

Got it - thank you again for your kind help :)

Paul

JimInOz likes this.
  8. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 2, 2016

Welcome Paul,

Please don't fall into the deep pool of vintage watch collecting. It has a serious affect on your bank balance ;).

And another like so that you can practice finding what the little red box means.

9. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Mar 2, 2016

Haha - Thanks Jim!

I can indeed see vintage watches being a wallet trap... I will try to resist. I like to think I have built some awareness about this already, as I have another "vintage collection" syndrom, in another area of technical toys... Hopefully it'll stay limited to the latter one.

Thanks all for the warm welcome :)
    Paul

10. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Mar 2, 2016

Welcome @Lonestar ! And thanks for sharing the image of your Seamaster -- it's a beautiful watch.

11. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Mar 2, 2016

Welcome Paul!

12. peter-chiu Jun 15, 2016

Welcome fellow newcomer!

Lonestar likes this.