Forums Latest Members
  1. drchako May 13, 2015

I'm a newby and this is my first question. Please go easy.
    I'm a radiologist and watch nut. Just found out the moonwatches were anti-magnetic which is appealing since I work around an MRI suite (the magnet killed one of my watches when a patient was seizing on the scanner table). I looked at the 15,000 gauss, but it didn't do anything for me. The Speedmaster however is lovely.
    What's my best option in the Speedmaster? I see about a $1000 price difference between watches with backs that say "The First Watch Worn on the Moon" and those that don't. Also, were the moonwatches manual wind? Most of the listings on eBay are automatic.
    If this has already been asked, please point me toward the right thread.
    Thanks!

2. drchako May 13, 2015

3. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer May 13, 2015

4. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter May 13, 2015

If you are working around an MRI please don't wear a watch. Those nasty buggers are POWERFUL.

persco likes this.
  5. threeputtbogey May 13, 2015

R3D9 likes this.
  6. italy1861 May 13, 2015

I second this opinion... Pretty sure Speedy Pro won't like the exposure...

7. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter May 13, 2015

MRIs have magnets which are in the 0.5-tesla to 2.0-tesla range (about 5,000 to 20,000 gauss). Even with the 15,000 Gauss depending on the machine used it can still destroy the watch. I know the 15,000 gauss is really a little higher but even then so 2.0 Tesla will destroy the watch let alone a regular speedmaster pro which has a far lower tolerance.

8. threeputtbogey May 13, 2015

MRI machines put out between 5,000 and 30,000 gauss. http://science.howstuffworks.com/question698.htm

But that is in or close to the machine while it is on. I don't think there is a problem being in an office with a master coaxial. The closed back speedy pros have an anti magnetic shield on them. But here is a quote from a member of another forum

"I operated a 3T MRI for a week (And regularly around a 1.5T machine) whilst wearing the Speedy Pro or at least keeping it at the operators console outside the 5 Gauss line. I don't keep any sort of log on the accuracy of it so I can't be sure. But I'm fairy certain it became less accurate while I was there.

That environment would be outside the normal set for the Speedy's AM shielding so I shouldn't be surprised :p"

Gutsantimagnetic.jpg
  9. repoman May 13, 2015

Welcome doc... oh boy, you are in for a wild ride, the Speedy bug has no cure and can cost of lot of money to treat over a lifetime :D

There is really just too much history to cover in a simple forum post. Speedmaster101 is a great start from there you will find more links and this forum is just amazing, but it will take time. I'll leave you with this small bit... Most people that are interested in buying a Speedmaster for the first time, settle on buying what we all refer to as a "Speedmaster Professional" or "moonwatch". The hallmark characteristics are manual wind movement (calibre 321, 861, 1861 depending on age), hesalite crystal, and engraved case backs saying first watch worn on the moon, or the display backs that say something similar around the edge of the crystal. i.e. this is the same watch the Gemini/Apollo astronauts wore in the 60's and early 70's.

The -$1000 Speedmaster automatics you see all over Ebay are the ones we call "Reduced". These are authentic Omegas, typically reference 3510.10, but use a different automatic movement and are generally regarded as decent watches but less value than a moonwatch. My personal opinion, stay away from these, plus they don't have any significant anti mag properties.

Now, you have a special use case needing anti-mag. The original moonwatches have an iron "dust cap" that have some anti-mag properties similar to a Faraday cage, this thread describes that a bit:
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/ma...-omega-speedmaster-professional-339769-2.html

Other experts on this forum would know more for sure. The very modern Omega's, as you noted, are built using non-ferrous materials, including silicon balance springs, etc. Omega rolled out their first, 15000 Gauss 8508 movement in the Aqua Terra line in 2009 I believe, and are slowly introducing this level of anti magnetic movement into their other collections. The current 9300 calibre Speedmasters are described here:
    http://www.speedywatches.com/articles/caliber-9300-explained/ These are not 15000 gauss, but they do have silicon balance springs and would be highly anti-magnetic. Omega is planning to get the 9300 movement to the full 15000 gauss in next few years.

Edited May 13, 2015
    threeputtbogey and drchako like this.
  10. drchako May 13, 2015

Brilliant responses so far. That link from Taddyangle was especially helpful. I think the Pro is what I'm looking for.
    Despite the MRI warping an automatic movement (it was a Laco watch), I sent it for service and it now keeps perfect time. Still, lesson learned.

11. drchako May 13, 2015

12. Nobel Prize Spell Master! May 13, 2015

tricky to give opinions on members sales but I'll tel you this much; The advantage of buying on the forum is that to a certain extent members do check on each others offerings and while not give opinions on prices etc the watches sold here are legit and well priced. Check the member history (number of posts, past sales, referrals etc) there is normally a minimum 200 posts to sell (with some exceptions) in this case with almost 1000 posts I should think the member is in good standing and the watch is as described. As said, this is a community, so steering you away or towards a particular member would be a little unfair, so do your due diligence on the individual and then buy with confidence.

As far as the particular watch I have that exact model and am happy with it. It's the legitimate Pro line, manual wound and hesalite crystal. It looks good and wears well on leather, Nato or Steel. not as fond of the particular bracelet but you do get that deployment that on itself has some value. At the price listed you can buy a OEM steel bracelet and still come fairly well on the deal.

The ONLY thing you don't get on that model is the vintage value of getting an earlier version...but that would not make the watch itself any better, it is just something that, if you hang around here for a bit, you'll end up desiring

drchako likes this.