Forums Latest Members

Another less than satisfying experience with a Watch Repairer.

1. yande Jul 25, 2019

I just have not had any luck with watch repairers..

My whole watch collective life has been littered with watch makers that have disappointed and frustrated me. This latest experience is no exception.

Last weekend a friend of mine approached me and stated.. "I hear you like tinkering around with watches.." I concurred and he proceeded to pull a Heuer Yacht Master from his pocket. He stated that back in the “80's”, he was doing some paid diving at the local marina and had spotted something shiny in the mud, and proceeded to pull out this time keeping device.

He continued to explain that he had attempted to take the case back off, "you can see where I have been tapping it with a chisel" were his words. :eek: He pointed out the two screws that were floating around under the crystal and as I could see where they belonged, I stated that I would have a go. It was not until I got home that I realised my tool was too small to fit the case back. I left it alone.

As he is a good friend I decided to send it to the local watch repairer just to get the two screws re-homed.. I do not know him, but the local jewelry shop sends watches to him and found out about him when I asked for a quote for some work a month or so earlier.

They took photos of the time piece before putting it into an envelope and told me that he was very busy and it may take some time. 2 days later I get a phone call to come and pick the watch up, and that it could not be fixed. When I went to pick the watch up they apologized and read from the receipt, “Could not be fixed.” That was all. I went back to my work and it was not until I got home and had a look at this lovely little piece of history that I noticed a large piece of the metal plating missing from the case back plus some new scratches. (Most were already there.)

I can understand that there could have been some damage done to the watch in the attempt to remove the case back as can be seen by previous attempts, that is understandable, but, to do this damage and just hope that it would not be noticed, nothing would be said? Is that right?
    I have not gone back over to the shop yet, just want to run it by you guys as to what are realistic expectations.

Realistic Expectations? I have included a photo of the back of my Heuer 750.501 It took over 12 months, modified tools, fabricated tools, "Plus" gas?, Ice, and lots of swearing to get the back off it, all documented by the original owner here.
    https://heuerville.wordpress.com/2011/09/17/pasadena-750-501-no-name-dial/

Yacht master 2019-05-18 14.35.25.jpg

Yacht master IMG_20190725_154126.jpg

Heuer Pasadena 750.501_ 5_z.jpg

Edited Jul 25, 2019
    DaveK likes this.
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 25, 2019

My expectations would be that any watch I entrusted to a watchmaker (a proper one) would be returned to me in better condition than when it was handed over.

I would expect that any damage to the watch would be rectified at cost to the watchmaker.

On the subject.

In Australia, to call yourself a Doctor, you have to attend a recognised learning centre and become registered to be legally allowed to practice.

The same with many other professions.

In Australia, anyone can call themselves a "Watchmaker" (even without formally recognised training and qualifications) without any legal impediment.

Do you think the guy at the mall doing keys and shoes even knows what WOSTEP means?

3. Rochete Jul 25, 2019

My eyes bleed from seeing that butchering, also on yours.

tenor (10).gif

DaveK likes this.
  4. yande Jul 25, 2019

Thanks Jim, To be clear, it was not "the guy from the Mall" I only use him for my keys. This was a watch "maker."

5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 25, 2019

He tried to open it that’s what you asked. I would like to see what was there before.

Intentionally no. Mate with a chisel couldn’t have already damaged it yes.

Hard one to gauge with only after photos

6. yande Jul 25, 2019

??
    My question was about realistic expectations.

7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 25, 2019

Understood. But what are the watchmaker's qualifications/training/experience?

As I noted, anyone can call themselves a watchmaker.

8. S.H. Jul 25, 2019

Well, the plating was probably damaged with the 1st attempt (chisel! :confused:) and flaked off when using another tool...

STANDY likes this.
  9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 25, 2019

I would expect it not to be damaged but as post above the chisel May have added to issue.

10. Canuck Jul 25, 2019

The Heuer Yacht Timer (above) pre-dates the Tag Heuer by decades. This was in an era when many models of Heuer specialized timers used low jewel count, pin lever movements. This case is obviously plated over brass. In other words, a cheap watch! The watchmaker’s first mistake was to even attempt to fix such a watch! Especially in light of the fact it had already been brutalized. You can’t make a sow’s ear into a silk purse!

Larry S and KingCrouchy like this.
  11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 25, 2019

It's the same in many countries Jim. In Ontario (Canada) watchmaking used to be a licensed trade through the Province, like an electrician, tool and die maker, etc. That was dropped in the 60's or 70's I believe. In the US I believe the state laws requiring licensing were struck down in the early 50's.

You could steal your wife's tweezers for plucking eyebrows from her drawer, buy a kit of cheap Chinese made screwdrivers for fixing eyeglasses, and hang out your shingle as a watchmaker in most countries around the world...

On the OP's subject, he says this:

"but, to do this damage and just hope that it would not be noticed, nothing would be said?"

Of course if I was unable to open a watch, I would state that clearly as the reason it's not able to be serviced. But when he says "this damage" it's unclear to me what was done by the guy that found the watch and what was done by the person he took it to for the repairs.

I don't know how tight the case back is on until I try to remove it, and if I try and it doesn't move and plating flakes off with any pressure to turn the case back, how exactly is that something that can be avoided, other than to take Canuck's suggestion to just turn the work away?

Until we know what it looked like before the watchmaker worked on it, there's nothing much to offer in terms of advice.

Cheers, Al

DaveK and STANDY like this.
  12. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 25, 2019

State licenses for watchmakers were required here in Florida until the early 1980’s. Here’s an old ruling issued by Florida around 1976 saying that watchmakers and clockmakers didn’t need separate licenses.

http://www.myfloridalegal.com/ago.nsf/Opinions/61D8DB14BAADB3AD852566BB005BD481

I think there were professional continuing education standards back then as well.
    gatorcpa

13. Rochete Jul 25, 2019

Licensing made sense when mechanical watches was all there was so important things, even lives, depended on correct time keeping by watches. Mechanical watches are now nothing but a hobby, unfortunately, so state regulation makes no sense.

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 25, 2019

Oklahoma 1952 - the watchmaking act requiring licensing by the state was found to be unconstitutional:

https://www.leagle.com/decision/1952400207okla1931345

15. MRC Jul 25, 2019

16. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jul 25, 2019

Licensing/ certification requirements are tricky. I see the need when public health/ safety is at risk, but justifying the cost of regulation and compliance is questionable for things where there is no real risk. They do add a lot of cost, so I am okay with them being restricted and not applied to things like clock/ watch repairs.

Now as a consumer, I will look for certifications from associations, etc. if possible. But I do not feel the local, state or federal governments should mandate it. Example: You want to come supply/ set up a bunch of networking stuff, then Cisco certifications, etc. would be a big plus over a company that did not have certified employees. But I do not see a mandated requirement that all people who work with networks that have Cisco products be certified.

Anywho, the fact that the watch owner too a chisel to it likely means he did some damage. He may have weakened the metal around some of the indents, causing a chunk to come off when the watchmaker tried to open the case. The message form the watchmaker left a LOT to be desired though. I don't think "it's the guy the jeweler always uses" is a great reason for picking a watchmaker -- to me, it means they may have a high-volume operation that churns our mediocre product.

Rochete and Archer like this.
  17. Dan S Jul 25, 2019

I know exactly which watchmakers the high end jewelers use in my town, and they are not who I would choose, except maybe for a battery change or something very simple.

KingCrouchy likes this.