Forums Latest Members

Another first purchase noob story and shoutout to Kringkily:

1. Jammer005 Jan 20, 2017

Once upon a time...OK - last Fall I decided it’s time for a quality watch and got the bug for an Omega. After a month or two of researching thanks primarily to this forum (and getting a bit distracted along my path by picking up an Apple watch 2 during the holidays), I narrowed it down to a Sapphire Sandwich (3572.50). Well, it turns out that was the easy part.
    How, where and who to trust to buy was a bit more challenging. This forum was a great help. I had reached out to Kringkily (after reading positive reviews) but he was out of stock around Christmas so in my haste I experimented with eBay. Total frustration for me - realized I don’t like the process or “the game” on something as serious as this purchase was for me.

I reached back out to Kringkily and he was responsive, understanding and most importantly patient with me. As this was my first purchase I had numerous questions since I’ve never bought a pre-owned watch before. And I was very concerned about purchasing via a wire transfer from Canada since googling wire transfers bring up all sorts of warnings about scammers. Kringkily made me feel quite comfortable with the transfer and he kept me informed throughout the shipping process. During all this process I just assumed this was his full-time job. It’s not!

At the Canadian border, after some sleepless nights I decided that I will declare the watch (queue flaming?) and paid my local taxes. When I went inside the customs/border office I asked them if they stop many people wearing a used or new watch and bypassing the taxes - three guys overheard me ] and said ‘Absolutely” and gave some recent examples. They said that's the kind of stuff they are trained for. They admitted that people do get through - but would a person want to take the risk not only of being flagged, penalized, etc but more importantly looking at your watch and remembering the penalties that you might have paid rather than just enjoying it. I feel better and now I have a card I can show if I cross the border.
    The main supervisor came over to me and asked if he could see the watch - I went to my car and pulled it out. "Speedmaster - nice, that's going to be my next purchase" as he showed me his Seamaster. We talked for 20 minutes about his other Omega watches. Very cool.

I took it to a local watch shop the next day. Timing specs were exactly what Kringkily quoted, no servicing required and watchmaker was complimentary on what great condition it was in. In fact, I expected more 'used' blemishes but was pleasantly surprised as well.
    In summary, I’m happy to recommend George to anyone looking for an Omega - feel free to PM me if you want more information.

Also a shout out @PeteInNYC for his help and support during this process and congrats to him as well on his newly acquired Sandwich. I can see how this can become contagious.

Thanks again OF.

Obligatory pictures (without a quick polish):
    IMG_2603.jpg IMG_2644 copy.jpg

Edited Jan 21, 2017
  2. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jan 20, 2017

Congrats on entering the rabbit hole. George is one of the best enablers out there :D

Jwit and Jammer005 like this.
  3. PeteInNYC Jan 22, 2017

Congrats Kevin!

Jammer005 likes this.
  4. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 22, 2017

This forum is awesome. Great story.

Jammer005 likes this.
  5. kilofinal Jan 22, 2017

Congrats on your new purchase

Jammer005 likes this.
  6. Jaacck Jan 22, 2017

lovely watch. Guessing you had the box and everything with you so wanted to declare it? What if you had bought it years ago and was just on the wrist ( if you didnt have box ) how would they know the difference? I don't carry a receipt for my watches when I travel.

Jammer005 likes this.
  7. alohatime Jan 22, 2017

I've been looking at a lot of his watches on WatchRecon too, maybe i'll pull the trigger now. Thanks for the advice!

Jammer005 likes this.
  8. Jammer005 Jan 22, 2017

Thanks.
    Yes, I did have the box and papers however I read in a bunch of forums of people mailing the box to themselves and simply wearing the watch across. I could have easily have done this. As I've gotten a bit older (and maybe wiser?) I weighed all the risks in my head and thought . . . even if there were a 5% chance of getting caught it wasn't worth it - I enjoy my Nexus ;)
    You are correct, how would they know the difference? Well, apparently they can ask you to show proof of purchase and they can even check the real value (just as we can - in case you had a fake invoice). So, they gave me a card called a BSF407 for me to carry when I travel - I told him that sounds like a pain and that if I got questioned, I'd find the receipt. He suggested just keeping it with my passport folder. The card has no expiry date and just proves I've paid applicable taxes.
    It all comes down to risk vs savings ... I didn't want to be worrying about it.

Jaacck and Jwit like this.
  9. Gwade Jan 22, 2017

Kringkily sold me a near perfect 1970 Apollo XI and it arrived next morning! It was the best instant gratification I've had in watch collecting for years. Awesome seller!

Jammer005 likes this.
  10. 63TR4 Jan 22, 2017

Great watch and info on crossing the border with a watch like that! Glad to hear another great review for Kringkily, especially as I keep hunting for an Omega!

Jammer005 likes this.