Forums Latest Members
  1. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jun 7, 2013

Counterfeit lesson, how much have you learned here?

Sellers description:

CLEARANCE-Watchmakers Estate- One Men's Vintage 1968 OMEGA **CONSTELLATION** AUTOMATIC MODEL 564, 24 JEWELS, QUICK SET DATE, PIE PAN DIAL...!!! PRISTINE CONDITION...!!!Has been Completely SERVICED...!!! An Extreme find for such a fine wristwatch.

LOW RESERVE-BID WITH CONFIDENCE !!. (Check my FEEDBACKS on the quality & professional detailing that I do on my watches-very many HAPPY & SATISFIED CUSTOMERS !!)

$T2eC16NHJGwFFZ!HSY9fBRq3J6TGeQ~~60_3.JPG $(KGrHqJHJBwFD!35YJ0dBRq3J7N9Jg~~60_3.JPG $(KGrHqVHJBMFB(MVF2VVBRq3J7oqmg~~60_3.JPG $T2eC16hHJF0FFZ3rupMbBRq3J73DLg~~60_3.JPG
  2. Dablitzer Jun 7, 2013

What are the signs? Apart from the obvious one like the crown.

3. kendrick Jun 7, 2013

The case back looks very suspicious to me

4. Dablitzer Jun 7, 2013

Yeah, that's true...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370625591.057999.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370625642.088029.jpg

Mine's the top one..

5. Tritium Jun 7, 2013

kohl likes this.
  6. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jun 7, 2013

Yes, but there some other problems with the watch in question...

7. Morris Jun 7, 2013

Inside the case back looks engraved, not stamped?

8. ulackfocus Jun 7, 2013

These things are getting SCARY good. It's down to nitpicking some relatively minor details. Every time I go to strap on one of my Connies I thank the Watch Gods for looking out for me.

MKelley likes this.
  9. Lex4TDI4Life Jun 7, 2013

Stars too close to the rim on the caseback? Elongated, flabby observatory?

10. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 7, 2013

1. The movement is a cal. 564 (maybe). This caliber was not yet avaliable in 1962, the date on the fake caseback.

2. The coloration of the movement parts is not uniform. While this could just be from an improper cleaning, it could also indicate a franken-movement.

We already know the case and dial are out-and-out fakes.
    gatorcpa

P.S. Unfortunately, these fake parts are still avaliable on the website of a well-known vintage watch seller. Why Omega doesn't sue this person is beyond me.

11. stefan Jun 7, 2013

Nice fake :) As good as it gets:thumbsup:

12. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jun 7, 2013

The most glaring issue is the ref 14900 case is for a NO date cal 551 movement.

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 8, 2013

I don't know that parts not being the same colours is a really accurate method to determine a franken movement. These are old movements, and sometimes the plating is in bad shape. The plating on these older movements wasn't the best really...it's very common to see movements where the plating is intact on some parts, and missing on others. That's is what I see here (brass showing through in some spots), and in addition the movement appears to be dirty and has seen some water.

When I service a movement like these old Omegas, I always check the condition of the plating - if it appears to be suspect, I clean off any plating that is loose. If I don't, it will migrate to the jewels and stop the movement - I've had that happen once before. Often the plating comes off differently on different parts, and sometimes even areas of the same part the plating will come off on one area, and be solid as a rock on another (possibly not applied well at the factory).

It may indicate a movement that isn't in the best condition, but not necessarily a franken movement in my view.

Cheers, Al

Chai, watchyouwant and Privateday7 like this.
  14. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 8, 2013

That may be true, but you are getting an up close and personal view of a particular movement when you work on it.

When I'm trying to judge whether to make an offer on a watch based only of pictures viewed online, I think a movement in that condition to be a big negative no matter what the reason. Given that in this case the dial and case are already fakes and the movement is wrong for the case reference, I didn't think I was going too far out on a limb here.

Technically you are correct of course,
    gatorcpa

Chai likes this.
  15. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Jun 9, 2013

inside case back markings applied via laserengraving..... best sign of a fake..... achim

16. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 9, 2013

Achim, do you have pics of original case back

17. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Jun 9, 2013

not here; easy to spot laser engraving...... kind regards. achim

18. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 9, 2013

caseback lr.jpg [​IMG]

This is caseback from my Connie C case cal 1011. OK so the original have thicker and curved edged font because it was stamped.

The fake is thinner and higher precision because of laser engraving. Definitely it looks very modern.

19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 9, 2013

Feel free to use whatever method you like for determining if a watch is legit or not. I am simply saying that there are common reasons why a movement may have different colours on it, and not typically because it's a franken movement.

As I said, it may indicate a movement that is in poor condition, which could be well enough reason to dismiss a particular watch, but it is certainly not a sure sign of a franken movement.

Regards, Al

20. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 9, 2013

Here's a Ref. 14900 in steel that I believe is legit:

[​IMG]

Compare the fake with the good one above:

[​IMG]

Not so sure that this fake is laser engraved. The medallion on the back is steel on both the original and fake. The only thing I can suggest is to be very wary of any Constellation with the same reference number, case year ("62") and SC. The good news is that the vast majority of fakes I've seen have one of the calendar movements (cal. 561 or 564) rather than the cal. 551 that is supposed to go with this case.

Here's the whole auction...this is not one of my favorite sellers, but this particular watch is very nice:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OMEGA-CONSTELLATION-14900-AUTOMATIC-STEEL-PIE-PAN-DIAL-VINTAGE-MEN-WATCH-/380580339204?nma=true&si=U5c4toOfHcFXk5hXKZLgG7rnpZ0%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

To prove Archer's point, the movement on this one is far from pristine.

Here's another one, and this seller mentions the rash of fake cases as well.

http://www.watchcat.com/NewListings/omg5599pie.htm

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa