Forums Latest Members
  1. dexvd Jun 1, 2014

So I am looking to pick up a vintage watch for my younger (half) brother's graduation/ 18th birthday. I was fortunate to inherit my grandfather's Rolex GMT (with papers, not that I would ever sell) and my great grand father's 50's pie pan YG everything Omega Constellation and know he would enjoy a nice watch as well. Preferably I would like to find an authentic vintage watch for him that I can afford and he will enjoy and be proud to own and wear. Any advice on what to look for?

Thanks for advice you can provide

2. dexvd Jun 2, 2014

I wanted to change the thread or delete it after receiving no responses but I couldn't figure out how to change the title or delete.

3. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jun 2, 2014

Hi and welcome!
    We would recommend an all original, untouched beauty.
    Before we can get specific, we need a few basics, dress or sports/tool watch?, Stainless or gold colored?, price range?
    We think of vintage as 40+ years old, is that what you are thinking?

Under the "Open Discussion" tab above, go to "WRUW" and scroll through for styles you like.
    A correct Omega will start at $500 or so and get to a few $thousand pretty quick.

4. Dash1 Jun 2, 2014

Well, vintage Omega is a good place to start as you can pick up nice genuine models from the 60's/70's etc.. for a few hundred dollars/£. It all depends on the style you want really (and how much you have to spend). Also post any pics of a potential watch on here before buying and you will get an accurate review of your potential purchase.

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 2, 2014

What kind of price range were you looking at?

6. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 2, 2014

Hi Dex,
    The mods can help you to change the thread. You are lucky to inherit Rolex GMT and vintage Connie Deluxe (all gold including dial) or even Grand Luxe.
    If I am 18 years old, I will be more attracted to sporty rather than dressy watch. Omega has many options for sporty vintage watches at more affordable price (relatively) than Rolex. It all depends on the budget. First model come to my mind is Omega Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch Caliber 861/ 1861. You could get mid 70's to mid 80's watch in good condition for around USD 2,000. Or you could try to find his birth year watch (1996) for few hundred more.
    This is the most iconic Omega watch with classic timeless design, with plenty history to tell.

TNTwatch likes this.
  7. dexvd Jun 13, 2014

Hey guys I ended up picking up this for him, he really likes it and I like it myself. I think it is probably redialed but hopefully not too much of a franken watch… paid under 500 including shipping and taxes so if it is, its not that big of a deal. Anyone recognize this style of seamaster and know anything about it? After a recent disappointment with seeing how big the Tag Heuer Monacos are in person I am back looking for a square dial watch for myself. His runner up was actually a new Hamilton Jazzmaster Slim Petite seconde but liked this Omega more and also liked it more than what we could find for under $1000. He did also enjoy the Speedmasters but over time started to like the look of watches with a more simple face (probably looked at ~1000 watches with him on the bay over a the course of a couple weeks). I would be interested in hearing anything about this watch, good or bad and any suggestions for similarly sized squareish watches that I should look into for myself that would be smaller than the 39mm Tag Heuer Monaco.

[​IMG]

8. dexvd Jun 13, 2014

Here's my current collection [​IMG]

marturx likes this.
  9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 13, 2014

Can you post more pics of the deluxe for us? What bracelet is that?

10. dexvd Jun 13, 2014

Which one is the deluxe? The Seamaster?

11. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jun 13, 2014

The solid gold constellation to the left.

12. dexvd Jun 13, 2014

I think it is the beads of rice bracelet, just headed out the door but can put a few more pics up in a few hours. I need to send it off to have a service it has been in the safe for most of its last 50 years. Not sure if it has been serviced in that time.

13. dexvd Jun 14, 2014

I made an album of it as I am going away for the summer and leaving it behind, its really hard to get a decent picture of the dial, the crystal has a few scratches and its shininess freaks out my iPhone http://imgur.com/a/rwNCW [​IMG]

14. dexvd Jun 15, 2014

15. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Jun 15, 2014

That is the brick bracelet. The beads of rice one looks like well little rice beads. Nice collection :)

16. JM251 Jun 15, 2014

that's a new one. a variation on the brick bracelet or after market but not the constellation deluxe brick bracelet. great looking condition!

17. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 15, 2014

There have been a few pics of watches on that bracelet before, they're definitely around, just not common

18. dexvd Jun 15, 2014

So are you guys saying mine or the one I showed for sale has the different bracelet? Any suggestions for where I could read a bit more about my Constellation, any ideas for year or reference number?

19. dexvd Jun 15, 2014

Ha I have been lusting over the JLC Master Ultra Thin Moon 39 for a while. If I expanded beyond that I would look in the direction of the Omega Speedmaster 1957 broad arrow with the brown bezel in steel/gold, Zenith Port Royal and a Zenith Heritage ultra thin in pink gold with a black dial, because I really like the thin dress watches. Ha I saw the RGM 801A recently and was like oh that would be a good cheap watch I could alternate with my Hamilton… Nope its like 7 grand lol.