Forums Latest Members

An uncomplicated GTG in NYC.

1. ulackfocus Mar 19, 2012

.... and I mean that literally. Remember that I said I would receive my UG triple calendar moonphase today? Here it is:

[​IMG]

:( Yep, I didn't get it because Jesse bailed at the last minute because of some electrical issues at home. So what was I going to do? Well, I could tell you but showing you is even better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had my loupe on me so the dial checked out perfectly. The case has the twisted lugs like a Speedmaster (dig those), the crown and caseback still have the logos (dig both those things too), and it's bee running flawlessly since this afternoon. A Polerouter with a microrotor has been on my list for over 3 years, but I just couldn't find the right combination of this chapter ring, a crosshair original dial, and the crown + casback logos intact. Now I can cross that one off. :thumbsup:

Oh, and now the Corum is gone. That was traded as part of the deal.

How about some shots of UG guts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It has a caliber 215-1. I'll find out the details on what year and such soon. The crystal has a few scuffs and scratches but that'll get cleaned up when I have it serviced. The dial is fantastic under there.

So, who did come then? David (jacquot) showed up for a short period at the rendezvous point. He went out of his way to drop by for only a half hour. Greg (RJ007 or GJH), Windy, and I went around to a few shops - some of them with INSANE, LUDICROUS, CRAZY asking prices (as in a normal blue & silver dialed Dynamic for $2500!!!), others with reasonable items. Duane (sportsguy) and Susan (IKE) met us at Stage Diner for a bite later on.

[​IMG]

From left to right: me, Greg, Duane, and Susan (Windy took the pic).

Here's Duane's 45.5 mm PO on my wrist:

[​IMG]

Boy, did I look like a little kid wearing dad's watch! :p

Greg was wearing his Sky Chief:

[​IMG]

Windy had on her TAG, and Susan had on her usual black & gold quartz watch - but I'm embarassed to say I don't remember what it is despite it being interesting. I have a pic of it somewhere so I'll try to dig it up.

All in all, a damn good day!

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 19, 2012

Love microrotor designs! Looks great

3. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Mar 20, 2012

I like that UG! Makes me kind of regret selling mine...that's another one I want to find one day. :thumbsup:

4. Jacquot Mar 20, 2012

Great to meet up with you, Greg and Windy yesterday, even if only briefly! Love the Polerouter, I've wanted one myself for a long time and found one with everything I wanted except those gorgeous lugs. Of course I thought yours would be the Deluxe model ;) Great score.

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 20, 2012

Is it really called a Polerouter? As in someone who routes poles? I've always wondered how they figure out where the telephone lines should run, still don't know how they do it, but at least I know they have a watch designated for the job.

6. Travis Brendel Mar 22, 2012

Is that what it is called?

7. ulackfocus Mar 22, 2012

Yes, but it's got something to do with Swiss Air and their attempts to fly over the North Pole to North America. Supposedly this was the official watch of that airline.

8. Jacquot Mar 24, 2012

It was SAS, and it was developed for accuracy and to mitigate the strong magnetic effects of trans Atlantic flight via the first polar routes. It has quite a story, really. Great watches. I have wanted one, and you got a good one! I've had my eyes on a Polerouter Date watch for a while. They are part of vintage watch history. The microrotor design is another part of vintage history, and Universal had to give it up after this design.