Forums Latest Members
  1. Jaacck Jan 12, 2017

Hi Guys,

Normally get these types of posts from people without an display photo and 1 post but need some help with this one if possible!

A lady I work with mentioned to me recently they have an old Omega that she inherited from her Grandfather but is sitting in a draw un-used. My ears immediately pricked up as I imagine any of you would with the hint of an Omega being mentioned by somebody in every day life. I have been saying for her to send me a photo for a few weeks and she finally has.

Just wanted to know a few things about it.

What model/ year is it?
    Any idea of value? There is something wrong with it that means it isn't functioning at the moment, a local watchmaker they took it too said it had" a tiny spring has broken " and he suggested they send it to Omega but would be expensive. From my time here I know there is a few independent watchmakers we can send it too that would do a great job without it going off to Omega which I know is a nono.

She basically wanted to know if its worth fixing to sell on or I may buy it broken from her and have it fixed myself. IMG_0706.JPG

Any help would be much appreciated!

2. Jaacck Jan 12, 2017

I also know that more photos would be helpful but the only one I have at the moment.

3. lillatroll Jan 12, 2017

The f300 tuning fork was developed in the 50s by bulova. It was used in satellite technology and instruments used in space rockets. It has been used by a few watches companies including omega and tissot. The watch in the picture looks to be a nice example. They are not popular in the same way a mechanical watch is but they do have a decent following. The biggest concern is being able to get it fixed. There are companies in the UK who can fix it but depending on what is wrong with it it might be an expensive fix or you might need to find a doner movement. From a buyers point of view it would be better if it was working before buying because it is hard to know how much it will cost to fix. I am not sure how much it would sell for in non working order but personally I would pass on this one.

4. Jaacck Jan 12, 2017

Thank you for the response. I imagine this will cost more to fix than it might be worth?

Edited Jan 12, 2017
  5. Jaacck Jan 12, 2017

Not sure if this is a silly question but is it missing the bezel?

6. lillatroll Jan 12, 2017

Probably

7. lillatroll Jan 12, 2017

Fully working with bezel seem to be hitting the high hundreds. This one is worth what the parts would fetch.
    It is not quartz but uses two tuning forks that vibrate at a certain rate. Clever technology. Still used today I belive.

Jaacck likes this.
  8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 12, 2017

9. blubarb Jan 12, 2017

I have the name of someone who can possibly repair these but he's in Thailand. Top guy and mostly experienced with Accutrons, but wealth of knowledge and has the contacts to source parts . Pm me if you want.

Cheers
    J

Ps. I like these hummers, and for some reason not too difficult to get in Australia

Jaacck likes this.