Forums Latest Members

An old Longines 5 Star admiral

1. Civic4982 Aug 4, 2018

just getting back onto OF and noticed a section for Longines that I hadn’t seen before.

Figured I’d share a pretty simple and straight forwards 5 Star admiral.

Very special to me since my grandmother got it on her travels in the 60s when visiting her eldest away at university in Germany. Got a watch for her and one for grandfather.

He had it ever since and even took it on their journey when they left their home in April, 1975 from Vietnam.

Decades later when I got into watches he handed it to me letting me know it was broken. It’s a front loader so I had to get a tool to pull the plexi.

Found the set lever had broken and searched for a replacement part. Instead I found a whole movement for $50!

My favorite features are the red chapter ring and that red date.

So, here it is:

987FDF91-C274-4A88-969E-3E6A1FC7366B.jpeg

2. argonbeam Aug 4, 2018

Nice! I’ve always thought the red chapter ring on some of those models was rather handsome as well.

Civic4982 likes this.
  3. Civic4982 Aug 4, 2018

Yeah, also the front loader design I always felt was neat.

This one also has some nice finishing on the dial, almost a linen look, that I didn’t capture well.

4. TropicConnie Aug 5, 2018

Cool watch. I hope you kept the bridge with the serial number from the original movement.

5. Civic4982 Aug 5, 2018

I just replaced the set lever. Kept everything else original. Kept the remainder of movement for spare parts just in case someday.

6. one eyed Jack Aug 5, 2018

Nice, I bought one very similar a few months back, only difference it has a black face, I think that there is a question mark over the movement, which if I remember was from a subsidiary brand of Longines... can't remember exactly might have been "Record"

7. argonbeam Aug 5, 2018

Yep, Record, after Longines acquired them. Still a nice movement.

one eyed Jack likes this.