Forums Latest Members

An odd thing happened today

1. CaptainWinsor Jan 19, 2020

So this morning I received a reply to my WTB ad from someone who just joined. They asked me to respond to an email provided which I did not. I told them to send pic and price. Never heard back. As is my nature, I was suspicious. Now the email has disappeared and I can’t warn anyone about who it was, which I wanted to do when they didn’t respond. Maybe the Mods know what happened or perhaps others received similar msg.

2. GandOsDad Jan 19, 2020

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it is a duck......seems like a pretty straightforward fraud attempt to me

3. CaptainWinsor Jan 19, 2020

yes but where did the email go?

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 19, 2020

Do you mean the private message?

If it has disappeared, then my guess is the person was banned.

5. CaptainWinsor Jan 19, 2020

yes it was private. Ha ha banned after less than a day

6. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 19, 2020

Hi @CaptainWinsor

The user was banned.. He did the same to multiple other members and two members reached out to me directly this am... and the mod team kicked in and thanks to everyone to make this a possible safe haven..

Good Hunting

Bill

Pun and Deafboy like this.
  7. CaptainWinsor Jan 19, 2020

thanks. It was only for a sweep second hand so I didn’t think much of it until he didn’t respond. It’s good we have a vigilant community here

8. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 19, 2020

That is what sets the OF apart from other forums....

and I am glad be apart of it...

Good Hunting
    Bill

9. JwRosenthal Jan 19, 2020

I’ve had this happen a couple times on WTB posts and got no response when I asked for more info and they disappeared.
    But I did get one with a member who had just joined and I did get response- multiple Pm’s, and ended up getting a very rare part that I needed to complete a watch project. He has gone on to be an active member of the community- so sometimes not all new members sending PM’s are Trojan horses.

Pun likes this.