Forums Latest Members

A Funny Thing Happened On The Way to My Mailbox

1. Looneytoons Jan 18, 2018

With apologies to Burt Shevelove and Larry Gelbart.

I won an ebay auction for a watch in late December. The seller promptly provided at tracking number, and the Israeli P.O. Tracked the package from Dec 23 to Dec 27. The last scan showed package on the way to United States. Then 3 weeks of silence. Needless to say I was getting concerned by the lack of hits on the tracking. I emailed the seller, who responded promptly with a caution to be patient a few more days.

Here is a screen shot of the eBay tracking info taken today Jan 18, 2018.
    Screenshot Bellmatic Tracking.jpg

Here is a screen shot of the USPS tracking window taken today Jan 18, 2018.
    screenshot Bellmatic Tracking 2.jpg

No scans. Yet in my mailbox on Jan 16th was a pick-up slip indicating a package from India.
    I haven't ordered anything from India. Curioser and curioser.

Today, I went to my local post office branch and with some trepidation presented the pick-up slip.

Yep, the package from Israel. More or less intact, with this beauty inside...
    IMG_0003.jpg

1972 Seiko Bellmatic 4006-6031 with original coffin link bracelet.

Wow am I relieved. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: I really wanted this watch and band especially at the price I paid. I'll spend some time cleaning the band and outer case, Polywatch and a touch of Simichrome and post the before and after pics in the appropriate thread.

Anyone have a lead on end links for a vintage Seiko 19mm (18mm will work in a pinch I think) coffin link bracelet?

Moral of the story: Don't believe everything you see on the tracking scans.

I realize that this was a VERY fortunate outcome as I really was expecting the worst, lost or stolen in transit. I'm still mystified as to how this watch is in my hands without a single scan in the U.S.A.

Anyone else have similar experiences?

2. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Jan 18, 2018

No but I got to say... this whole business of sending large chunks of money around the world, to total strangers, in the hope that they will honour a deal and send you a valuable watch scares the 'shite' out of me.:eek: It still amazes me that, for the most part, the process works well.::confused2:: I admire each and every one of you who participate in this madness!:thumbsup:

Edited Jan 21, 2018
    jetkins, NOTSHARP, Edward53 and 6 others like this.
  3. Shibata Jan 18, 2018

Nice watch. Glad it showed up in one piece.

nonuffinkfloke, I agree. Buying and selling big ticket items on the internet stresses me out big time. I much prefer to buy from message forums where the seller is an active part of a community. I would be very comfortable purchasing here on OF. Especially with the 200 post rule.

77deluxe and nonuffinkbloke like this.
  4. mydeafcat Jan 19, 2018

Really happy for you. Congratulations! (Sidebar - I’ve looked at that seller’s Omega’s but have been hesitant. I had a recent issue with an Omega purchase out of California on ebay; fortunately, I got a full refund.) in any case, I understand your situation.

The same thing happened to me in October with my first (and only, sad to say!) OF purchase. Bought a Seamaster 30 from a seller in Sweden. Tracking showed it went to Stockholm then off to ‘destination country’. Then crickets for over 4 weeks. I was concerned, obviously, as PostNord in Sweden was quite useless and the status never changed. Compounding this, Canadian customs is notoriously pokey - and getting worse. The good news is I have my 30 and still love it to bits.

Glad all is well!

Edited Jan 19, 2018
    nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  5. ConElPueblo Jan 19, 2018

Pah, Israel or India - who's counting? :rolleyes:

Looneytoons and nonuffinkbloke like this.