Forums Latest Members

An Epidemic Of Yellow Gold Models Being Described As "pink"

1. tomvox1 Feb 9, 2013

Certainly not limited to Omega but I really, really hate it when sellers describe a yellow gold watch as "Pink" or "Rose":

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261167317811&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

It's a real turnoff, as well as instantly making me doubt the intentions of that particular seller. Yellow is yellow and pink is pink and ne'er the twain shall meet. I'm sure not all do it for the extra money but then ignorance is not exactly the best defense either.
    Best,
    T.

watchyouwant likes this.
  2. tomvox1 Feb 9, 2013

watchyouwant likes this.
  3. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 9, 2013

Tom, you've put your finder on a persistent annoyance

then there was this guy, who listed the same watch under both pink and yellow as two separate items.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/271152033879?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-OME...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

After being called on it, he removed the "Yellow gold" listing. The real question of course is what color gold will it turn out to be. Who wants to bet yellow?

4. ulackfocus Feb 9, 2013

That's eBay for you. Caveat emptor is not strong enough - a buyer should expect shenanigans so they're pleasantly surprised when something arrives as described or better. Devia expectus.

5. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Feb 9, 2013

6. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Feb 9, 2013

Certainly the double listing is difficult to overlook but going by the pictures on the still existing pink gold listing it looks to me to be actually pink gold.

7. Dablitzer Feb 9, 2013

Sometimes pink gold can be tricky....different lustures and amounts of copper are added, some gold watches look pink in certain lights.

8. tomvox1 Feb 9, 2013

I don't agree and to me the buckle & case look the same color--yeller:

[​IMG]

For me, this is pink/rose:

[​IMG]

YMMV & best,
    T.

9. Dablitzer Feb 9, 2013

The first is definately gold, second one pink.

10. ulackfocus Feb 9, 2013

Conquests, and Longines of the 50's & 60's in general, might not be a great example because they had an orangy-rose color gold too - as did JLC. Here's my 1960 Conquest:

[​IMG]

It's not yellow, and it's not pink.

11. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Feb 9, 2013

What ever it is, it is beautiful!

MKelley likes this.
  12. ulackfocus Feb 9, 2013

Thanks. For a few years this was the crown jewel of my vintage collection. It has to share the spotlight with the Centenary 2500, Constellation 2799, and JLC E855 Memovox now. I still haven't seen a Conquest in better condition.

13. tomvox1 Feb 9, 2013

That is a gorgeous watch and pretty much a perfect example of a Longines I would love to have in my collection...and it's also clearly yellow gold. :p
    Look, there is no doubt that old yellow gold takes on warmer tones as time goes by and that the mixture varies by era and manufacturer due to the percentage of alloys used. Heck, there is even green gold as found on old Hamiltons and Illinois.
    But pink shows differently than yellow, even though there are different hues of PG, too (technically Pink, Rose and Red gold but that's not an easy thing to discern with the naked eye). That's because all yellow gold has about 2% give or take of copper alloy while pink mixtures have 20-25% copper.
    Even allowing for naturally occurring variations, when you put a yellow gold watch next to a pink gold watch, the difference is clear, IMO.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please excuse the Rolex content. ;)
    Best,
    T.

Gerhard likes this.
  14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 10, 2013

No need to be excused, we love Rolex too here ;)

That JLC though is something else!

15. Gerhard Feb 10, 2013

Some pink gold versions are very clear to define but others are quite close to yellow gold. P1110671.jpg IMG_2608.jpg IMG_2607.jpg IMG_2612.jpg

16. tomvox1 Feb 10, 2013

Lovely watches and that can be true, especially if a pink watch has sat for many years without wear or polish, as they can discolor. And of course the color balance of a photo is also important in our perception of it.

But the salient point is that it is the seller's duty to describe his items accurately since he is the one actually in possession of them. And if he can't tell pink from yellow gold then maybe he better find someone who can tell him what it is (any jeweler will be able to in about 5 seconds) or leave off describing it as the more valuable commodity so he does not make us think him a fool...or something worse. :cautious:
    It's not fair to buy a "pink gold" watch and take delivery of one that is actually yellow.
    Best regards,
    T.

17. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Feb 10, 2013

Pink/Rose gold can easily be affected by lighting, angle of photograph, and camera settings not to mention post processing to look like it is YG. I agree when placed side by side with a YG example the difference is stark but taken in isolation it can be difficult. Your point about the seller accurately describing the product is certainly well taken and one I fully agree with. As stated I do disagree with the 2 watches you linked to and believe both watches could very well be pink gold. I don't think we can tell for sure unless we have either of the 2 watches in hand. I will show you 2 pictures I have in my collection:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt the first watch is 18k rose gold and the second watch is 18k yellow gold. These watches were also taken by the same camera on a tripod, at the same location, at the same angle using the same exposure settings but different time of day. Pictures really don't tell the whole story when the watch is viewed without a reference point.

18. tomvox1 Feb 10, 2013

Only quick tip off on that top one is the date disc. ;)

Cheers,
    T.

19. tomvox1 Feb 13, 2013