Forums Latest Members
  1. micampe Jun 16, 2015

Looking for inspiration, who wants to post pictures of their American wrist watches?

2. SeanO Jun 17, 2015

that'll take all night.....

3. Allant Jun 17, 2015

image.jpg 1946 Gruen PanAm

barmy and SeanO like this.
  4. barmy Jun 17, 2015

Here's my PanAm....

[​IMG]

2015 PanAm soccer in my home town this year

5. barmy Jun 17, 2015

Serial number dates this to 1913. A converted women's pocket watch

[​IMG]

6. micampe Jun 17, 2015

@SeanO there is no rush. Look at this like black/white dials threads.

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 17, 2015

What do you mean exactly by American watches? Brands that were American, or only watches that were actually made in the USA?

Cheers, Al

8. micampe Jun 17, 2015

Preferably made in the USA, but also brands that had main operations in the USA, even if production was elsewhere. I consider Bulova american, for example, because the design happened in the United States.

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 17, 2015

Good point. I think this one is about as close as it gets:

[​IMG]

This is the correct movement. These "0" size movements were made before Hamilton had dedicated men's wristwatch movements:

[​IMG]

If you want solid gold there's always this iconic classic:

[​IMG]

The question of what is an "American" watch is a lot like the question of what is an "American" car.

Back then, you might have a Gruen or LeCoultre (both American companies) with Swiss made movements that were cased and timed in the USA. The Lady Hamilton Grade 983 movement shown above was totally designed in the USA, but I'm sure some of the gears and springs were imported. Are these American made watches?

Is a current Toyota Camry, with well over 50% of the parts and virtually 100% of the assembly done at a factory in Kentucky an American car? Is a Ford Fusion with about the same percentages produced at a factory in Mexico also an American car?

Some would argue, "where do the profits go". My guess is that Toyota being a public company, a good portion of their dividends wind up in American hands, probably about the same percentage as Ford shareholders who are non-US. I'm sure that Toyota pays plenty of US federal and state income taxes as well as local sales taxes on the profits generated by their US manufacturing operations. I'm sure Ford does the same in Mexico.

Questions of national origin of manufactured products is not any easier than national origin of people.
    gatorcpa

10. micampe Jun 17, 2015

@gatorcpa good examples. As I was saying in my response to Al, I'm not very strict about the definition. I consider Bulova American because the design was done in Woodside, not Biel. On the other hand I wouldn't consider current Hamilton American, nor old LeCoultre.

I don't think there can be hard rules, and I'm ok with this thread collecting examples of what people subjectively think are American watches, it will be a nice collection. As I said, just looking for inspiration.

11. Audley Yung Jun 17, 2015

[​IMG]

:taunt::taunt::taunt::taunt::taunt::taunt::taunt::taunt::taunt::taunt::taunt:

lol.

12. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 17, 2015

See, and I consider LeCoultre an American brand, or at least as American as Gruen or Bulova. The brand was owned by a US company (Longines-Wittnauer), the case designs were generally used in the US market and the final assembly on the watches was done here.

Jaeger-LeCoultre watches were not sold in the US until the early 1970's, at which time the LeCoultre brand was being wound down.

BTW, some newer Hamilton watches were assembled at a factory in the US Virgin Islands, so what does that make them?

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

13. micampe Jun 17, 2015

And as I said that’s fine. I’m fully aware there can’t be a clear cut, just like there is no clear cut about Swiss watches and it had to be mandated by law. The only consequence of your different opinion is that I will look up more information about LeCoultre and maybe change my mind – especially since I have a lot less experience and knowledge than many people here.

I’d like to see American watches, whatever everyone thinks that means, I won’t be picking on your choices.

14. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 17, 2015

micampe likes this.
  15. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jun 17, 2015

'38 Waltham Premier..... how American does it get!

and what happened to all the Waltham wrist watches...... you hardly see any out there.

P1000602.JPG

16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 18, 2015

Okay thanks - didn't mean to stir things up, just wondering if you were being particular about the definition.

Here is the only "American" watch that I really wear, my Bulova Snorkel:

[​IMG]

Long gone now, but I had this Elgin chronograph for a while, with the Valjoux 7733 powering it:

[​IMG]

Cheers, Al

micampe likes this.
  17. CowboyMac Jun 18, 2015

18. Which Watch Next Jul 12, 2015

Wish I had found this thread sooner. How about a Hamilton-Illinois automatic? Is that American enough? I received it as a gift last year. I have read a little about the history, but I have yet to see another like it. Anyone have a clue?
    IMG_4690.JPG IMG_4691.JPG

Fritz likes this.
  19. SeanO Jul 12, 2015

Hamilton bought Illinois either to (A) get them out of the market place or (B) to get their hands on a rectangular movement of good quality, in the late 1920's. After buying them they were removed from the market within a few short years.

Eventually in the 50's they were "re-introduced" back into the marketplace to protect the copyright ownership of the name and the brand turned into a joke. the power reserve model from around the same time is probably the only "desirable" model from that post WWII era.

Illinois were one of the great American watch companies and it is a shame that they're so unappreciated.

20. Canuck Jul 12, 2015

Hamilton Illinois automatic? Where on the watch is it marked automatic? Were any of the '60s vintage Hamilton/Buren micro-rotor watches marked Hamilton Illinois? Back in the era of Hamilton Illinois, I have never heard that they did an automatic.