Forums Latest Members

American pocketwatch, any knowledge?

1. marturx Jun 9, 2014

Found this one on a flea market. I know nothing about pocketwatches, but couldn´t resist....

Anyone here that can share some knowledge? Value?

Waltham.jpg

Waltham, öpened.jpg

Waltham, opened2.jpg

Walthamn, movement.jpg

Waltham, lid.jpg

Waltham, lid2.jpg

2. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jun 9, 2014

American Waltham, 18 size full plate, Movements and cases were put together at the jeweler level in those days. this piece has been recased into an open face case at some time, it was designed for a flip top hunter case, which is why the pendant is at the three instead of the twelve like most pocket watches. (sometimes called a side winder as a result) The coin case will be about 90% silver. The P.S.Barlett was a bit better model than the average timepiece. This particular movement is a model 1877, 11 jewels, one of a run of 1000 watches made between nov.1, 1880 and jan.31, 1881, but they would have made multiple runs and likely made zillions of these things.

With a bit of digging decent faces can be found on the internet for not much cash, try Dave's watch parts.

Running well these still can keep good time, enjoy it!

citizenrich and marturx like this.
  3. marturx Jun 10, 2014

Great! Thanks alot!

4. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jun 10, 2014

the only thing i know about american pocket watches is that the ones which look like they're worth a million dollars are worth surprisingly little and the ones that look like they're worth nothing can be worth a lot.

I realize that my comment is completely useless and unhelpful re: your specific question and for this I am sorry but I may never get the chance to post what I just wrote ever again. :)

Matty01 and Fritz like this.
  5. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jun 10, 2014

American watches are not valued as high as they should be. Hamilton and Illinois especially made watches of the same or better quality than any other maker. The average railroad grade watch had to run to virtually chronometer standards for years on end and were inspected monthly to make sure they did. Think about it, Hamilton made over a million 992 & 992B watches, all of them good to well inside 30 seconds a week and they were expected to hold that accuracy for years of service in an unheated, or overheated depending on season, steam engine cab.

With a few exception, the highest value American watches tend to be the railroad hardware, these weren't made to be pretty outside, but damn the movements are beautiful!

Oops.... is that a soapbox I'm standing on.......

I'll go back to my corner now. Sorry 'bout that.

Matty01, Noisy Nova and citizenrich like this.
  6. SeanO Jun 14, 2014

standing on that soapbox is ok by me.

American watchmakers, especially from the early part of the 20th century are woefully under appreciated even by Americans.

they were the equal (quality wise) of any watch maker in the world at that time.

Fritz likes this.
  7. Matty01 Port Adelaide's No.1 Fan Jun 15, 2014

Lovely looking old watch!

8. marturx Jun 26, 2014

After some TLC by my watchmaker:

Waltham2.jpg

Didn´t know this, but the porcelain dial can actually be washed in the supersonic washer! The ugly cracks in the dial has almost completely disappeared! So no need for a new dial now. But I should need a new balance. Can someone spare me one??