Forums Latest Members

Amazing job by Red Dead restoration.

1. 0uss Jun 20, 2020

Hello folks. Just found out this channel on youtube and the guy does some pretty amazing work restoring vintage watches. I especially enjoyed the Omega restoration videos and i thought you guys would too. :thumbsup:

Wuza72, Nathan1967, queriver and 2 others like this.
  2. Canuck Jun 20, 2020

I had to quit watching when he started the cleaning and rinsing procedure. Was that water based cleaner he was using? Looked like it to me. His rinse? Was that water as well? No thank you!

BatDad and connieseamaster like this.
  3. KeithS Jun 20, 2020

The captions in the first video state the rinse is “99,9% alcohol.”

0uss likes this.
  4. Thrasher36 Jun 20, 2020

I could not do better but I know plenty of guys that are a lot cleaner and more careful especially with the dial and crystal. its fascinating to watch but in no way impressive.

Caliber561, 0uss and connieseamaster like this.
  5. Canuck Jun 20, 2020

Alcohol? As a cleaner? Now I know I was wasting my time!

6. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Jun 24, 2020

I think he uses the alcohol to displace water after the rinse so no spotting.

7. Canuck Jun 24, 2020

I am very suspect of that milky “cleaning solution” he uses in the cleaning process. His whole process (at least as much of it as I watched) seems very primitive to me.

tpatta likes this.
  8. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Jun 24, 2020

My understanding alcohol is frowned upon because water vapor condenses on the surface when the alcohol evaporates.
    It is also a solvent for shellac, the latter being used for affixing jewels in the escapement.

0uss likes this.
  9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 24, 2020

The guys who use the water based cleaners like this need to use it to displace the water that is left on the parts. If the pallet fork and balance are not left in the alcohol for long, it won't soften the shellac, but will certainly make it dull. Not many actual watchmakers I know would ever consider using this method, and that is only the beginning of the things I would take issue with in the first video (I didn't watch the second).
    The manner that was used to remove the third wheel cannon pinion - by simply yanking up on the third wheel, was a complete ::facepalm1:: moment.

Didn't see the mainspring replaced or the barrel even opened. Applied far too much oil to posts on the movement, appears to have used hard plastic gaskets over again. Putting the dial down on a metallic movement holder was another moment of "NO!" along with pressing hands on without adequately supporting the movement or jewels. This is amateur level work for sure...

Edited Jun 24, 2020
  10. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jun 24, 2020

After reading many posts by @Archer and @JimInOz .. The first video just seemed wrong and sloppy on many levels. Seeing the comments confirmed the cringe factor. No pressure test?

0uss likes this.
  11. pascs Jun 24, 2020

I was thinking, ohh I dont even do that at some points in the video :D

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 25, 2020

The other thing you don't see is any hint of inspection of the parts for wear, or replacement of parts. Pretty sure the rotor bushing is worn in that watch, and it wasn't replaced. It's rare a watch comes in and doesn't need something replaced in it...