Forums Latest Members

Amatuer Watch Tinkerer Group

1. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 22, 2020

Some of you (including yrs truly) may have started "watchmaking" by following Nick Hacko's guide on his website some years ago.

There was also a small group on Yahoo (I think).

Others of you may wonder "how can I learn about this stuff I see on our forum?"

Well, what Nick has done now, is started a new group based on the old Yahoo one, and he is now doing videos as he walks you through the basic process of doing a service on the ubiquitous Seiko 7S26 caliber.

If anyone is interested in getting into basic watch fettlin', then check out the link below.

https://groups.io/g/7s26

Any questions just ping me, I'll try and answer them.

Cheers
    Jim

jsducote, airansun, Eve and 7 others like this.
  2. Walrus Aug 22, 2020

Cool thanks I keep looking at the watchmaking kits you can order to “build”. Usually they are a seiko movement. I’ve rebuilt motors and conveyors but I don’t kid myself this this will translate to “building” a watch. It’s still something I would like to try, no interest in being a professional or servicing other people’s watches just want to do it so I have a better understanding of these watches that interest me. I do know someone who started off in such a manner, found they had a knack for it and now does it as a side hustle but that is not my intent. A lot of the mechanical work I did was 30 ft in the air on a lift and I remember how annoying it was if something fell, usually something that was 3/16 or less so the tool sizes on watch making do intimidate me a bit.