Forums Latest Members
  1. Paul01 Jul 2, 2015

Watching the forums here I can see SpeedMasters are very very popular.

I get the history; But personally they aren't for me (although I could be swayed by an Oyster Dial with light grey sub dials but Omega don't make one yet.) :)
    I cant put my finger on it they just don't sing to me, you know...

So does everyone love speedies except me am I the only one not in the speedmaster appreciation club..

Come on own up everyone else who sits outside the speedmaster circle of trust....

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 2, 2015

What's an Oyster dial? :\

@ulackfocus definitely hates Speedmasters so you're not alone by any means, Omega is a remarkably broad church, so while the Speedmaster collectors are very visible, they're just one small part of the whole.

Taddyangle likes this.
  3. Paul01 Jul 2, 2015

Oyster - its a colour kind of a pearl \ off-white

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 2, 2015

There's the Apollo 11 35th which is pretty close, its a silvery/metallic white with black subdials

[​IMG]

5. Paul01 Jul 2, 2015

yup like that one of them id likely buy....
    you selling.... :)

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 2, 2015

Nope, but they're around, I own one of these (Gemini 4) also a panda dial, metallic blue with opaline/metallic white subdials:

[​IMG]

Nicherotors likes this.
  7. Paul01 Jul 2, 2015

mind you the caseback is pure cheese so maybe not !
    not in to ltd editions of anything...

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 2, 2015

There's also the Mitsukoshi limited edition, which is the same dial but with a normal caseback, alternatively you can just put a displayback on it and see the Calibre 1861 movement behind it.

persco likes this.
  9. italy1861 Jul 2, 2015

I love that watch.. Looks great on the blue strap!

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 2, 2015

There's also the Apollo Soyuz LE which is a meteorite dial in charcoal grey with silver grey subdials:

[​IMG]

rollee likes this.
  11. rollee Jul 2, 2015

Ap Soyuz LE, now that's some watch.

12. BadAndy Jul 2, 2015

I am with you Paul. While the Speedmasters are nice watches, and I like that they are manual wind and thin, the dials just don't speak to me. I don't have much use for a chronograph.

I much prefer a cleaner more simple dial. I am in love with many of the seamaster watches, and the Deville watches. My next watch might be the new Globemaster with a blue face.

blufinz52 likes this.
  13. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Jul 2, 2015

I have and like a Speedmaster but the brilliant lume of the Seamaster 300 and rotating bezel is good enough for what I need.

Tom

blufinz52 likes this.
  14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 2, 2015

Funnily enough one of the reasons Speedmasters end up getting a lot of wrist time with collectors is as you accumulate a lot of watches you start to really appreciate watches with no date that take little time to set. The Moonwatch you just wind set and go, rather than having to fiddle around setting the date. That's also the main reason my 1680 Submariner rarely gets worn these days as its non-quickset and most mornings I don't have 10 minutes to correct the date.

persco, noelekal and CanberraOmega like this.
  15. Buckeyes#1 Things come with instructions? Jul 2, 2015

I agree with you. I bought a Moon Watch few weeks ago, and returned it. It just wasn't me.

blufinz52 likes this.
  16. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Jul 2, 2015

I hadn't been particularly attracted to Speedmasters until last weekend. I was standing in line waiting to board a plane and noticed that the guy behind me and my wife was wearing what appeared to be a new, but classic-style moonwatch on a brown leather strap. I complimented him on his watch and he said he had just put the Omega deployment-style leather strap on his watch a few days earlier.

I didn't ask him about the crystal type but based on how sharp and brilliant the white features on the dial came through the crystal, I'm guessing it was sparkling new hesalite. It was truly a great looking watch, and is now on my "someday, must-have" list.

17. timeismoney Jul 2, 2015

f01ffc37698781722bad98378894a397_large.jpeg
    That's cool that you don't care for it. There are enough of us chasing them already :p

18. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jul 2, 2015

Ash, what is that blue strap!!!::love::

19. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 2, 2015

Pic stolen from someone else on the forum, not mine though I'm tempted to get one

20. jcmartinez98 Jul 2, 2015

I'm with the OP as well with regards to classic moonwatch. Though I certainly appreciate its history and even its aesthetic, I don't love it.

I do love my DSOM as well as most of the 9300-based dials, but I think simpler and cleaner sings most to me- I am loving my new Ti planet ocean.

image.jpg

Frunkinator, Buckeyes#1 and blufinz52 like this.