Forums Latest Members
  1. JDMdenon Apr 8, 2018

For a while now I've really been fancying a C shaped Conny.
    The place I've found the best is an ebay seller called 'closer0924' however, the condition of the watches seem okay but they'll all need a service and at the end of it I would of put £700 (£400+ for the watch then £200+ for a service) into a watch I'm not sure is worth the value (if I'm incorrect please tell me).

So what do you guys suggest? there are a few others on ebay being auctioned which i'm waiting to see what they go for, and maybe place a bid on. But, am I best keeping my eye out and waiting it out? or do I pull the trigger on the one by 'closer0924'. I don't have any intention of selling the watch after but like anyone else, I don't want to pay too much.

Thanks in advance for your feedback, I will look forward to it!

2. sjg22 Apr 8, 2018

I would suggest posting pictures of the watch(es) you’re considering.

3. Passover Apr 8, 2018

Closer0924 is located in Asia.

If you import a watch (at least to Germany) from there you will have to pay 19% import taxes on it.

I don't know the siuation is if you are located in the UK

4. JDMdenon Apr 8, 2018

its 20% here, I think its going to be expensive even before servicing.

efauser likes this.
  5. TOTIZ Apr 8, 2018

Like you I am new to this passion, so I‘m afraid I can’t give you any expert advice. What I would like to do is reiterate what the more experienced members of this Forum pass on to the newbies and which has helped me a lot :)
    1. Read
    2. Learn
    3. Be patient !
    4. For your first few purchases, especially vintage Omegas, look at the Sales Section here. All watches posted for sale are usually looked at with an eagle eye by more experienced members and any discrepancies are flagged up very quickly. The vast majority are also fairly priced.

I heeded all the advice above and have one Genève in transit and have just pulled the trigger on a Seamaster this morning, both of them purchased from a member of this Forum :)

Dedalus05, GordonL and JDMdenon like this.
  6. JDMdenon Apr 8, 2018

I've done a fair bit of reading on the conny and general vintage watch buying. Thanks to 'learn how to fish', advice on looking at movements and Constellation advice by 'desmond'. The private sales section here is fantastic, but I'm looking for some excitement in hunting down a watch. I also want something i'm going to look at in a year or two and still think the same as I did when I first got it.

Dedalus05 and TOTIZ like this.
  7. Lucasssssss Apr 8, 2018

If you are looking at another source to hunt watches, you can have a look at "the-saleroom", which aggregates auction house sales in the UK. However almost invariably the pictures are bad, and sometimes it is even more of a dice roll than eBay.

8. TOTIZ Apr 8, 2018

Yep, I fully understand the excitement of the hunt :) I found a gorgeous De Ville at a local auctioneer, did my research, legwork, due diligence and got outbid yesterday morning :( I was very, very tempted to get into a bidding war because I WANTED that watch; luckily common sense prevailed and I walked away. However fate is a fickle thing and one of the members here who knew about the auction bumming out, offered me a very nice price for the Seamaster I mentioned before.

At the end of the day, I’m going to do more reading and research (dials kill me), before I go fishing in the bay. Whatever you decide to do, happy hunting :thumbsup:

JDMdenon and Lucasssssss like this.
  9. 77deluxe Apr 8, 2018

+1 Yes.

10. JDMdenon Apr 8, 2018

Thanks everyone for the responses! In that case, ill get a nice drink, sit back, and wait calmly for one to turn up!

TOTIZ and 77deluxe like this.
  11. airansun In the shuffling madness Apr 8, 2018

In all honesty, I could see the answer to your question was going to be ‘yes’ just based on the thread title.