Forums Latest Members
  1. mayankyadav Dec 6, 2017

Hi
    I bought a brand new Omega Speedmaster ( 1861 movement ) from an AD a couple of months ago and subsequently saw someone selling the presentation box it comes with on ebay for $300. And that's when I thought why not I too sell it and make some money.

I also want to sell the bracelet that came with it which I immediately removed and put it on the nato strap ( my watch is no on a Hadley Roma strap now). I was thinking to sell all this stuff and use the money to buy a Tudor BB Heritage.

I was however a little shy of asking money for the presentation box ( and I must admit that the idea to sell it came to me only after I saw the listing on ebay). Does this box really have that kind of value? Do you guys have any opinion on it :) ? Thank you.

2. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Dec 6, 2017

They add $ to the cost of the watch (the watch went up several hundred $, and the only change was the presentation box and strap). People will pay money for them, as did you.

red crowned, Foo2rama and mayankyadav like this.
  3. mayankyadav Dec 6, 2017

Thank you. Your statement makes me feel better now :D. I will wait till I reach 200 post count then.( which is going to be a while). Ebay isn't my cup of tea and local/work place classifieds will expose me to people here whom I know who will then make fun of me for putting this kind of money on a watch rather than appreciating what I have :). Thanks again.

4. ClarendonVintage Dec 6, 2017

As a collector it matters a lot for the watch to come with its original components, and that includes presentation boxes and papers. You really have to ask yourself, does these matter to you?

But even from a collectors' point of view, if you are able to fetch 300 for that box and couple more hundred for that brand new bracelet to top up for a Tudor BB, i'd say that is a pretty good strategy. If you are just a 'let me just wear my watch and get on with life' kind of guy ;)

Foo2rama likes this.
  5. mayankyadav Dec 6, 2017

This brand new bracelet costs a little more than $800.. is it not much sought after thing that mine will fetch only a couple hundred dollars ? In that case I will keep the bracelet and sell the box alone.

6. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Dec 6, 2017

Search the Watch Parts for Sale subforum and see what they have sold for on OF. Also trying checking completed auctions on eBay. That is the best way to find out what you might be able to sell it for.

mayankyadav likes this.
  7. mayankyadav Dec 6, 2017

I now have a fair idea. Thank you both of you. Have a good one :) .

8. Interstatetime Dec 6, 2017

The only thing about this "strategy" is that your original watch will be worth a lot less when you get tired of it and decide to sell it.

JohnCote

9. mayankyadav Dec 6, 2017

I am never going to sell this watch :). And at this stage I am not really concerned about how much potential money it will generate for my grand children . At this point I want to buy a Tudor

lando and Davidt like this.
  10. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 7, 2017

BIN on eBay for $800 for both ;)

Two watches or one watch and a carry on suitcase.

I wouldn't sell the Tudor box as its the most flipped watch I have seen for a long time. :whistling:

mayankyadav likes this.
  11. mayankyadav Dec 7, 2017

Omega presenation box == carry on suitcase ! haha. That was a good one :).
    Thanks for the suggestion for the price, I am going to try ebay then ...after taking some nice pictures.

12. AnotherDon Dec 7, 2017

I'm late to the party, but I wouldn't say, "cheap." Maybe penny-wise and pound-foolish. If you ever decide to sell or trade that watch, the lack of the bracelet and the box will likely cost you more than you can sell the box and bracelet for. Because the bracelets tend to be a bit pricey, some folks will not consider buying that watch on a strap. Just my $0.02

mayankyadav likes this.