Forums Latest Members

Alternating the sides on which to rest one's watch

1. Sebastian Tombs Aug 12, 2015

Hello all,

I haven't formed a definite opinion on the matter below yet, and I would very much welcome your knowledgeable views.

I would like to know whether it is beneficial to vary the side on which one is to rest his watch for the night (in my case a 2007 PO with 2500 ETA calibre), wether a specific side is better than another, or whether none of the above really matters.

The last I read on the subject, a while ago, was that some people would experience an increase or decrease in their watch's accuracy depending on whether it was resting on its crown side or – in the case of a Seamaster – its helium valve side.

Since I haven’t really been able to settle on a decision, I am presently – I fear somewhat groundlessly – resting my watch on a different side every day. I am thus alternating the following positions:

1) on its crown side;
    2) flat on its crystal;
    3) on its Helium valve side;
    4) flat on its back.

My questions are:

1) is resting a watch flat on its back or crystal somewhat detrimental to its performance and long term condition (bearing in mind it happens every other day), or is the same as resting it standing on its side?
    2) Is there a ‘recommended’ resting position to adopt?
    3) Does all this really matter, or can I confidently rest it on its crown side like I have always done?
    4) Could the information that we will gather through this thread be applied to my other mechanical watch, a 2015 Rolex Datejust?

I would like to thank in advance whoever will be so kind as to share his knowledge with me.

My regards.

2. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Aug 12, 2015

I once saw a video recommending resting a rolex on it's crown. But I can't remember all the reasons given for this. Personally, I just never lay the watch down on a hard surface, to prevent scratches.

3. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Aug 12, 2015

Mine are on the wrist or in the box on a cushion resting at about 60 deg, dial up, or tucked away in the vault, usually flat, dial up.

Edit: to answer the general question, I don't think it matters much, but not scratching it is a good determining factor in where and how you lay it down.

4. Canuck Aug 12, 2015

There is no benefit to the watch, regardless of how you place it, when it is off the wrist. However, there may be an effect to the rate of time keeping of the watch in the various positions. It can be useful to know which positions in which the watch gains, or loses, or maintains an accurate rate. To determine that, you would need to draw up a chart which has headers over a column for DATE, P/U (*), P/L (*), P/D (*), P/R (*), F/U (*), F/D (*), RATE GAIN, RATE LOSS, and RE-SET. Choose a time source that is convenient, and stick with it only. When you take the watch off, set it to your time source, mark your chart with date, mark position, place the watch in that position. Check the rate in the morning and mark seconds (fast or slow). If there is a position in which there is no variation, put a 0 in gain and loss.
    Repeat the above each time after re-setting the watch, and you'll soon have an idea how to place it to compensate for rate variation when you wear it. Every watch is different as to how it might react to such a test. There is no "one size fits all" answer.

If you don't see predictable, repetitious rates over these tests, the watch might benefit from servicing. If you don't choose to go to all this trouble, wear it and enjoy it.

* pendant UP, pendant LEFT, pendant DOWN, pendant RIGHT, face UP, face DOWN.

blubarb likes this.
  5. Sebastian Tombs Aug 13, 2015

Thank you all for your views. To the ones concerned about scratching, the Omega has its place in a large leather tidy tray on my studio desk, tray that is lined with very soft suede. The Rolex benefits from an even higher end arrangement, it's done around a fat roll of cashmere socks and kept among my underwear in my bedside table. You can never allow yourself too much luxury in life, dahlings.

Edited Aug 13, 2015
  6. orbistat Aug 13, 2015

I've even found that ambient temperature and the direction the watch is resting in, either north-south or east-west will also make just as much difference. It's been an OCD of mine since I bought my latest Seamaster. I keep it bang on by subtle changes overnight. It's a time keeper first and foremost after all.

7. Sebastian Tombs Aug 13, 2015

That I am not too bothered with. My watch is a Muslim, so it likes to always point to Mecca.

Nobel Prize likes this.
  8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 13, 2015

My Speedmaster spends most of its time in the fruit bowl. Take it off to have a shower and each time it makes its way with my keys and wallet into the fruit bowl. Have never seen how this happens each time but I think the misses has seen it happen once or twice.

blubarb, Nobel Prize and orbistat like this.
  9. Sebastian Tombs Aug 13, 2015

Sneaky Omegas. My Sih-Mahsteh has never been caught wandering around, but it has a habit of taking many naps a week during which he decides to stop ticking. Nothing a good belting can't fix though.

orbistat likes this.
  10. orbistat Aug 13, 2015

That's part of owning a "Meccanincal" watch I guess.

11. Sebastian Tombs Aug 13, 2015

That's what my AD prophetically warned me about when I bought the watch…

orbistat likes this.
  12. ulackfocus Aug 13, 2015

Should I worry about the barometric pressure of where I store my watch?

My watch is a Christian Crusader so your Muslim watch and mine better never meet.

::facepalm2:: :rolleyes:

13. Sebastian Tombs Aug 13, 2015

I wouldn't be able to answer your question off the top of my head. Let me run a quick Google search on my infiDell computer.

14. happytapy Aug 13, 2015

Lay my watches on their case backs. Might be something in varying the rest point though.

Sometimes if I taking my watch off and want to rest it somewhere, I always try to rest it on pushers or the crown side. Just to avoid scratches. Seems to work.

15. Sebastian Tombs Aug 13, 2015

Thank you happytapy. Crown-side is my preferred side as well. Not because of scratches because they are always on a soft surface, but because it looks right.

Edited Aug 13, 2015
  16. orbistat Aug 13, 2015

I'd think of something to say but I'm Qurantely indisposed.

browncow likes this.
  17. Fretworker Aug 13, 2015

Bloody hell. I usually wear mine, it goes all over the place with my arm, I can't begin to imagine the damage I'm causing

18. Sebastian Tombs Aug 13, 2015

Are you crazy? Watches are meant to be owned, not worn!

19. Fretworker Aug 13, 2015

Hell's teeth, I'll resurrect the sundial in that case, thanks for the heads up

20. Sebastian Tombs Aug 13, 2015

I don't want to be rude orbistat, but I don't give a ramadamn about your health right now.

browncow likes this.