Forums Latest Members

Almost burnt my fingers on a Speedy 145.022ST Straight Writing

1. maxbelg Jun 15, 2018

I saw this E-Bay listing of a nice looking Straight Writing Speedy:
    https://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/292600044879?ul_noapp=truePurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I have uploaded some pics here from that listing.
    fullsizeoutput_c9c.jpg fullsizeoutput_c9b.jpg fullsizeoutput_c98.jpg 11.jpg 4.jpg 3.jpg 2.jpg 1.jpg
    I decided that everything looked good and correct and I made an offer pending assessment by Christian (the watchguy) in the UK. He offers this service here: https://watchguy.co.uk/buy-with-confidence-service/

The seller shipped the watch to Christian, who opened the watch and had a look here:
    https://watchguy.co.uk/cgi-bin/library?action=show_photos&wat_id=3116&tk_id=148764176

As you can see, there are some mayor problems with stuck screws and glue and scratches and what-not all under the dial!

I'm posting this here to alert would-be-buyers for this risk in general and in particular be careful of this specific watch in future!

I believe the seller probably didn't know about all these problems as he's only had the watch for about a year and probably wouldn't have agreed to the assessment by Christian if he knew.

Oh, and I didn't buy it in the end ;)

UPDATE: The seller wants to sell full disclosure and I‘ll try to hlp him.

Edited Jun 15, 2018
    Etp095, alex10 and WhatYourWatchSay like this.
  2. Seaborg Jun 15, 2018

OH MY GOD !!!

Happy you did not pull the trigger on this one...

maxbelg likes this.
  3. Philou Jun 15, 2018

Wow, has someone cleaned and repaired the movement with acid and black glue ? :D
    Poor watch...

maxbelg likes this.
  4. Buck2466 Jun 15, 2018

What a hatchet job. Holy shit! At least you found out before purchasing and glad your fingers are OK!

maxbelg likes this.
  5. Exiztence Jun 15, 2018

All those problems and yet it was running -2 ;)

maxbelg likes this.
  6. MaiLollo Jun 15, 2018

Wow great call. The movement didn't look that good, but it would have been very tough to guess the state it was really in without diasassembling it

maxbelg likes this.
  7. maxbelg Jun 15, 2018

That's what's most worrying! Next time I buy a vintage watch I'll be worried as hell.....

WhatYourWatchSay likes this.
  8. neilbardsley Thought about a Speedy, got a Speedy Jun 15, 2018

£51 bargain for a check!

Basset Hound likes this.
  9. maxbelg Jun 15, 2018

48 as shipping was within UK! Money very well spent I‘d say!

10. gdupree Jun 15, 2018

Thanks, I'll never feel confident in a purchase again now...

11. maxbelg Jun 15, 2018

Actually I thought (as did Christian) the movement looked pretty good with just the case back removed!

12. maxbelg Jun 15, 2018

Yes, unfortunately that‘s the message. :(

gdupree likes this.
  13. Dan S Jun 15, 2018

What happened here? Did you buy it off of eBay after people had already bid on it?

MaiLollo likes this.
  14. maxbelg Jun 15, 2018

E-Bay does allow stopping of an auction and selling to the highest bidder.

Edited because the seller wants to sell full-disclosure which I'm fully supportive of.

Edited Jun 15, 2018
  15. Cuttysark Jun 15, 2018

This check is a smart idea! thank you!

maxbelg likes this.
  16. stefman Jun 15, 2018

A good reminder that, even it some watches look nice on the outside, they might have major problems inside

Taddyangle and maxbelg like this.
  17. Dan S Jun 15, 2018

That was a good suggestion - he should have listened to you.

maxbelg likes this.
  18. maxbelg Jun 15, 2018

Yes, we determine the value of a watch especially by what we can see, like the dial, hands and case. We think the watchmaker will be able to sort out the movement but Christian told me it was a mess. If you have to start replacing half the movement and sourcing the vintage parts in the movement, like plates etc it should reduce the value enormously! At the very least it will be very expensive and the watch not all-original anymore.

I think this service Christian is offering is a great idea! It certainly saved me a lot of money. ::rimshot::

.....and as you've seen a movement-shot is not good enough!

19. Superfunk Jun 15, 2018

hello everyone i own the watch and to say im dissapointed is an understatement !! i put the watch up for sale in good faith and did not realise that it had these problems that joseph pointed out . (i would never have sent the watch for inspection if i would have known ). if i had have known i would not have put it up for sale without fixing it or highlighting the problems to potential buyers . i have been wearing it for the last year with no problems so as far as i was aware it was fine . thankyou for all your comments . if anyone would like to purchase the watch at a reduced rate knowing the faults then please contact me through pm , thanks to joseph i doubt anyone will want to talk to me and for the record im not a con man trying to get rid of a suspect watch , cheers

Biezmez, Etp095, jB1128 and 25 others like this.
  20. ulackfocus Jun 15, 2018

Kudos for being honest & up front about owning it. I'm glad you're offering it now at a reduced price. :thumbsup: