Forums Latest Members

All Other Things Equal, Is There a Better Heirloom Watch than Rolex?

1. WatchVaultNYC Dec 4, 2016

Thinking about getting a watch specifically for handing down. I have several watches that I really like, but am concerned about its long-term survivability. Will the watch be something desirable to my descendants other than "because dad wore it"? Will maintenance be so expensive that junior will not be able to avoid servicing and then it gets forgotten, and later just sold off?

Rolex is generally recognizable and desirable, durable, and relatively cheap and easy to maintain. Omega with ETA base movements maybe second to that, and cheaper to maintain.

But my experience in having an IWC, a JLC and a VC serviced is that although very nice watches, upkeep is pretty rough - parts hard to find and servicing is expensive even at 3rd party watchmakers) and hardly anyone recognizes them to be something that is desired by a non-watch enthusiast.

First world problems? Your thoughts please..

2. trama Dec 4, 2016

What a thoughtful dad! Don't hand down a watch just with this purpose in mind, then it will be "just because dad wore it"...get the one YOU really want, the one YOU love to wear. Then they will keep it always and cherish it.

Pun, Bill Sohne, Jacquot and 2 others like this.
  3. corn18 Dec 4, 2016

This^^^^ I inherited my father in law's LeMarque watch he bought himself in the 70's. Nothing special, but I will never sell it. I also got his basic Timex that he wore every day. My wife remembers sitting on his lap and rubbing the high domed crystal. Will never sell that one either. Neither says Rolex or Omega on them, but they are more special than my '67 Speedy and '86 Sub that I own.

Pun and WatchVaultNYC like this.
  4. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Dec 4, 2016

Nope, none better in my book.

My grandfather received a 1603 in 1962 for tutoring the son of a Cuban diplomat, and we wore it everyday for the next 40 years, and it still looks amazing...my uncle now wears it.

I was at my prep school a few weeks back for a football game, and ran into a guy who had a meters first 5513. I struck up a conversation, and it turns out his father bought it in Germany in 68 and gave it to his son for college graduation. It too looked amazing after nearly 50 years.

They are iconic, indestructible, and hands down the best watch to own for style, ease of use, and durability.

I love Omega, don't get me wrong, but for passing down, a Rolex is the best choice.

5. isaac.owen.nz Dec 4, 2016

I've always thought these were well executed, albeit cheesy ads, this gave me a good chuckle though when looking for an image to post;
    http://the-toast.net/2013/12/09/you-never-own-anything-really/

Edit; if you haven't already, have a look through the "what is your most sentimental watch" on here, I think it was in open forums. Will give a good idea it's not so much a brand thing as what the watch represented to the person who received it.

Edited Dec 4, 2016
    WatchVaultNYC likes this.
  6. TTG Suffers from watch FOMO. Dec 4, 2016

While considering handing down, other than a Rolex.. Have you considered a birth year watch?

7. Jungle Jim Dec 4, 2016

Get the Rolex exactly because of THAT! Everyone recognizes what a Rolex is, much fewer in the population are Omega lovers.

Case in Point: [Rant On] My father had a beautiful Leica M3 single stroke with a summicron lens (tabbed) attached to it. He took pictures of us with it as we were growing up. After he passed, my older sister got it. I told her if she ever wants to get rid of it, I would take it. Hell, I would buy it from her. After three years of gathering dust in a drawer she puts it out with stuff for a garage sale. Someone bought it for $13, bargained down from $15. After all it was a film camera and no one shoots with an old film camera. Augghhhh!! Someone in Norfolk got the deal of a lifetime. [Rant Off].

Get the Rolex. In 30 years your son will still know how valuable a Rolex is.

All the Best.

8. ulackfocus Dec 4, 2016

Rolex makes a great heirloom because even if the recipient isn't a watch person they'll certainly know the name.

Personally, an AP, VC, or PP would be even better but your kid might be tempted to sell it and buy a car (or scooter!).

9. meganfox17 Dec 4, 2016

These are just some of the ads that appear on the front page of all major newspapers in Malaysia almost daily ![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. gostang9 Dec 4, 2016

I know someone about to lay down almost $50K USD for a PP, and I he knows he'll have to get a second similar so that each son has one. His total collection is very impressive, and he is intentional about planning for a somewhat equal division someday to avoid either son being disappointed or feeling hard done by. (First world problems indeed). Luckily for me, my wife and I have only one daughter and I keep her well informed of each watch as my modest collection grows, and of course they'll all be hers someday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pun, Syrte, silostang and 1 other person like this.
  11. ATWG Dec 4, 2016

I don't think you can go wrong with either brand. Omega's are cheaper to maintain (although the 321 parts are becoming harder to source.) I personally own both Rolex and Omega, and would think that either brand will stand the test of time.

However, for me, it's not about the brand rather the memories of my father wearing the watches which I now am proud to own and wear. I have fond memories of his Seamaster while teaching me how to swim in the ocean. Or, the mega quartz during my adolescence teaching me to drive. I recently swapped the movement of the MQ, not because of it's intrinsic value but rather the sentiment it represents to me..... it's all about the memories and not the brand for me, it just so happened that he was a big Omega fan.

Here are 2 of my father's watches I received....I gifted the megaquartz to my brother last month for his birthday.

IMG_4628.JPG IMG_4582.JPG
    ConElPueblo likes this.
  12. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Dec 4, 2016

*cough - cough* ... :whistling:

::stirthepot::

13. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Dec 4, 2016

I think when going Rolex, you have a lesser chance of trying to pass something on that in 20+ years will be perceived as we perceive those watches today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

... dont get me wrong - those are fine watches, I would just not die to put them on my wrist (if it weren't for sentimental reasons)

yeah ... Rolex prob. your best bet ...

WatchVaultNYC and gostang9 like this.
  14. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 4, 2016

Sadly for the others and with good reason ... the kid will know this brand.

IMG_3859.JPG

15. WatchVaultNYC Dec 4, 2016

And none of them are asian.. argh.

16. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Dec 4, 2016

At least let's shake things up a bit and make the kids Asian ...:D

Jwit and WatchVaultNYC like this.
  17. meganfox17 Dec 4, 2016

@WatchVaultNYC

Maybe you should hold that thought of yours. Read this PP Ad[emoji41] [​IMG]

18. OhMegaMan Dec 4, 2016

You will never see asians on a Patek ads. Asians would have given their kid college education so he can earn his own Patek. He will bury his Patek with him when the time come, and have a Patek to stare at for eternity in the afterlife...until reincarnation hits.

19. meganfox17 Dec 4, 2016

OVER MY DEAD BODY THEY'RE GETTING MY WATCHES !

RIGHT ON BROTHER ! HIGH FIVE [emoji137] !!!

Jwit and WatchVaultNYC like this.
  20. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 4, 2016

Hi Everyone...

In the " Given " from family and close friends ( passed away ). My brother gave me his speedy that my parents gave to him for a birthday present in 1966 ( yes , both of my parents are alive and my older brother is too and he has kids.. .) He got his kids all electroquartzs....

A close watch friend Jim B + from TZ left me his Red 1680... that he bought new and wore almost daily and swam with it for years... No I did not get the box and papers.. ( girlfirend tossed them in the trash). No big deal for me as it not a watch I would ever sell...

so in my book a Speedy or a Sub both classic .. and timeless..

at lest you have two to pick from !

hahahaha

Good Hunting

Bill Sohne

Jwit and Drawarms like this.