All Original* '54 Seamaster Back From Service...

WOW, that pearlescent dial is amazing. Hat's off to MJ Watch Service in Glenview IL (who I found in via a thread here @ OF). Other pics are from when I brought it in for service, you can see the corrosion is there, but wasn't bad.

My late uncle bought it in '54 while in army. I can't recall him ever wearing it, and we saw him a LOT, so it must have been tossed in a drawer, non-working, since 60s or 70s. Thus the *, I'm pretty sure it was never serviced, ergo, it is all original (MJ said it was, too).

Sadly, my wife likes it too, so I'll have to share. But the '71 True Pogue I got along with this Omega will make do!

Like 3
Lovely heirloom and should provide years of faithful service. It’s worth pointing out that unfortunately the dial isn’t original as the ‘Swiss Made T’ didn’t appear until the latter part of the 60’s (T Swiss Made T appeared around ‘62)

Like 2
I’ve seen single Ts as early as ‘64 but your main point stands. There was no tritium in use and therefore no T mark requirement until the 60s. Not that it matters with a family heirloom!

Like 1
The good news, while the dial isn't the original from 1954, I believe it is a Omega service dial and not a refinish.

Like 3
thanks for the info, everyone; good or bad!

Where would I find the actual serial number of the watch? I see the one on the movement...that's what actually dates to 1954...and those numbers on the caseback (model #s only, I think) but I can't see anything on the case itself. Is that normal?

And I'm curious about the numbers that have been 'scratched' into the inside of the case cover...THAT looks kinda like a serial#. I wonder what it is? I'm guessing some case # for whatever service work that was done...but otherwise I'm clueless
Edited:

Like 1
It's a good looking watch!

I'm guessing that it features a 344 movement.

Thanks for joining us and thanks for the good photos of your uncle's watch!

354, I posted a pic of it above

If I put on my reading glasses I can spot the number.

Like 1
If I put on my reading glasses I can spot the number.
I'm withya. but now that they're on, wanna take a stab deciphering those scratched-in numbers to the left of the triangle/logo?

Omegas from this period only had the serial no on the movement. Not the case as well

Like 1
I'm withya. but now that they're on, wanna take a stab deciphering those scratched-in numbers to the left of the triangle/logo?

I'm going to venture to offer that those are scratched markings that a watchmaker put there after a service in bygone days. Meaningless in the here and now.

Like 1