Forums Latest Members
  1. devnull May 16, 2015

I was browsing eBay for an old Seiko diver watch, something I would not mind wearing while gardening and such. I found a nice 6309 7290 preowned, in good shape, with bids still on the very low side. I did a search for previously sold items to get an idea of prices just to find out that this seller has been selling an ungodly amount of the same pre-owned watches. Over, and over, and over again; he must have boxes full of the same used models that he keeps selling...Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

http://stores.ebay.com/jfmwatches/

Does eBay even care when somebody sells nothing but fakes?

Edited May 17, 2015
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 16, 2015

May I inquire why you think these watches are fakes?

Some (but not all) may be redials. Hard to tell, as the pictures are overexposed.

It would be nice if the seller disclosed which ones were redials, but sadly, that's not unique on eBay.

But that doesn't make them fakes or counterfeits.
    gatorcpa

3. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe May 16, 2015

These are such common watches that I would wonder if it was even worth faking.

I paid $125 for a mint original Seiko diver recently, one of those pictured on that set of ads, in its original box with all the papers and tags..... so a more "used" one on ebay can't be worth much.

4. devnull May 17, 2015

You would think so... But then if you look at sold, you find that he has sold 106 of them, all slightly used, all with the same photos...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=VINTAGE SEIKO 6309 7290 SS MENS SS BAND DIVE WATCH $1&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=ncPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Four identical used rolexes plus the current one...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=ROLEX OYSTER ARROW HEAD RIVETED BAND PRECISION REF 6694 cal. 1210 MENS WATCH $1&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=ncPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

or the 35 slightly used Seikos 7002 7000 that he has sold in the past, plus the current one on sale:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=VINTAGE SEIKO 7002 7000 SS MENS DIVE SS BAND AUTOMATIC WATCH $1&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=ncPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

So on so forth. He keeps selling the same out of production watches as if he had boxes full of them laying around.

Edited May 17, 2015
  5. shaun hk Fairy nuffer May 17, 2015

Possibly the shill bidder keeps winning and the ads do state new aftermarket dial and hands

6. lenny May 17, 2015

First of all, cheap Seikos, Citizens and G-Shocks are faked all of the time. Certain countries have a big demand for them. Second of all, for some reason, the terminology is different when it comes to those Seikos from the Philippines. "Aftermarket" parts are in principle, fakes. That said, there appears to be enough support from the watch modification community to keep them going. As a consequence, some of the fake dials of rare models have flooded the market and make it difficult to sort out the real ones. This is particularly true of scubapro co-branded models.

wsfarrell likes this.
  7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 17, 2015

The Philippines is a noted haven for horological chop shops where watches are stripped for parts and cobbled together in any way that would work.

I don't doubt that most of this seller's offerings are frankenwatches and dials are repaints of varying quality. It likely would be too expensive to create new fake dials for such inexpensive pieces.

But that doesn't make them counterfeits or fakes. Just knocks down the condition greatly.

gatorcpa

pascs likes this.
  8. chickenman26 May 17, 2015

Why do you need a dive watch in the garden? Just go to Costco and buy a brand new Seiko for less than $100.

9. devnull May 18, 2015

I always prefer something vintage. It makes me happier.

10. TexasKevin May 19, 2015

It surprised me, about 5 years ago I bought a Casio Edifice, it looked great, came in an original box with all the user manuals. I wore it for about 4 years, it was my travel watch because I didn't want to lose an expensive watch in a foreign country. It went with me to London, Paris, even took swims in Nice, and Barcelona. It became my daily wear watch. One day watching Youtube I looked up my watch and discovered it was supposed to do some things mine didn't do. I learned it was a fake. I thought, this is crazy, who would fake a $150-200 watch?
    Just looking at it bothered me after learning it was a lie. I ended up selling it, noting to the new owner that it was a counterfeit. I went out to a store and bought a new Casio Edifice solar. Within a couple days of wear the mineral glass had a couple scratches. My old fake Edifice had sapphire crystal and survived years of abuse, genuine watch didn't even make it a week before signs of wear. I kind of wish I have my counterfeit Casio Edifice back.

j.allen likes this.
  11. j.allen May 19, 2015

It looks like the guy isn't much for taking pictures. Won't get as many bidders with one picture.

12. LastMan May 23, 2015

Definitely.. even cellphones can take decent pictures these days, there are no excuses.