Forums Latest Members
  1. tgcarl Oct 31, 2018

Coming up to airport check in or same with cruising, you're asked to put your watch in the plastic tray.
    It's never concerned me before, but will now with my new PO.

So, do Omega do anything for travelling? May be a pouch or something what to place your watch in?
    If not, you any advice on what you do to keep your watches safe in this scenario?
    Cheers

superfly likes this.
  2. tzachi Oct 31, 2018

always put it in my bag prior to security just for that reason.

superfly likes this.
  3. superfly Oct 31, 2018

TSA in the US doesn't make you remove your watch to get through security. I've had security agents both inside and outside the US say things like, "I wouldn't take that watch off if I were you" and the more simple, "you can leave it on" anytime I've asked. And when I haven't asked, they just wave me through.

And when I've worn one watch on each wrist, I've heard the usual jokes about what time it is, etc.

But, if you don't want to risk being forced to put your watch in a bin, you can use a travel case like the ones below and just keep your watch in your bag until after you get through security.

20181030_221812.jpg

20181030_221854.jpg

Uniqez and Dr_P like this.
  4. lillatroll Oct 31, 2018

I put mine in my carry on luggage/backpack along with wallet and passport and mobile telephone. I do keep an eye on it while going through the scanner but no losses so far.

5. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Oct 31, 2018

I kept mine on my wrist on my recent trip, it caused the bleeper to go but just had to have the usual scan over check on the other side ,no big deal and better than removing my watch.

Mind you I only travel with my CWC anyway so nothing to worry about, I dont holiday with anything of value .

6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 31, 2018

The one thing you'll find is that the rules seem to change every shift of security personnel, every airport, every city, every country.

I previously noted that I try to keep my signature low by wearing plastic belt buckles, no beep shoes etc and my partner putting my stuff in the tray, and me going ahead to catch the tray as it comes through.

I'd carry a small backpack/bag and put all your valuables in it, along with a pair of worn underdacks to deter any opportinistic bag pickers.

7. watchstick_81 Oct 31, 2018

What is it exactly you are worried about? Are you afraid someone in front of the queue will steal it? The plastic trays will not damage your watch if that's worrying you. I'd rather just place it directly onto the plastic tray instead of something else like a jacket. It might drop if you pick up the jacket.

Edited Oct 31, 2018
  8. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Oct 31, 2018

:D nice thinking, I guess a smelly black sock would also do the trick.

9. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Oct 31, 2018

Never taken off a watch going through security. If it shows up on the scan (and it’s pretty obvious it’s a watch on that thing) or sets off the metal detector then you get a brief pat down and that’s that.

10. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Oct 31, 2018

I just throw mine away and buy another in the duty-free shop.

No worries that it’ll be nicked, and saves on service costs too. :thumbsdown:

Speedy2254 and JimInOz like this.
  11. DIV Oct 31, 2018

I NEVER remove my watch and have never been asked to. Also, I almost always opt out of the body scan and prefer the pat down.

12. Skrv Oct 31, 2018

I have a case for my glasses. I just put the watch inside and throw it in laptop bag before security. Worried I am going to forget the watch if I keep it separate

13. SpeedyD Oct 31, 2018

A travel roll is handy as it gives you something to store the watch in when notnon the wrist, but not strictly necassry. I usually wear mine and it seems not to cause any alarms or issues. But if I outbit through the scanner in hand luggage or jacket pocket I make sure it is either in something protective or a soft lined pocket with no other objects. I know it is sifficult to relax with a new or particulrly orecious watch, but fact is, like a new car it is going to get a dong or two at some point. I decided just to relax about it and enjoy rather than worry too much. They are tough so as long as you’re not mixing concrete or digging a trench you’ll be fine. You can get them wet too with no worries :D

14. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Oct 31, 2018

See my No I’m Not Taking Off My Rolex .. thread. Well discussed. Best bet is to put your watch into your carry on. My solution while visiting historic sites in Spain last two weeks and a bad scare at one particular site early on, was to buy a man bag for my two phones, camera, watch, wallet etc... it was liberating. (I’m secure in my manhood)

Wivac and Skrv like this.
  15. rohnin Oct 31, 2018

I don’t remember the last time I was asked to remove my watch