Forums Latest Members
  1. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Jul 16, 2017

In my sixties, and with an historic penchant for classic dress watches, I gaze enviously at the sporty Speedys and Seamsters (and the rest) shown on the forum.
    I have no doubt that if I suddenly appeared sporting a big diver watch, my wife and family would look at me in bemused horror; in the same way as if I had turned up with a motorbike and leathers (I'm now historically past my 'mid-life crisis' age) or announced I had a mistress forty years younger!
    Any suggestions or must I continue window shopping on this forum?

2. dx009 Jul 16, 2017

I don't see anything wrong with someone a bit older wearing a large. chunky sports/dive watch at all.

Plenty of celebrities and men considered attractive, talented, interesting, etc. have worn such watches even in their 50s, 60s, etc.

I'd say there's a difference between wearing a cheap, crappy 48mm sports watch that covers your entire hand and wearing a high quality watch with a solid design that actually took some effort. And I'm sure you're looking for the 2nd option. :thumbsup:

3. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jul 16, 2017

As the Speedmaster and Seamaster 300 are also in their 60's, there should be no issue whatsoever.

tamura, Garv, Mad Dog and 8 others like this.
  4. ICONO Jul 16, 2017

I am 60……Ex Advertising / fashion Photographer, …turned University Academic, teaching 'Creativity'

I own Speedmasters / Seamasters that are 50 years old…

& yet last weekend, I bought brand new, the new 41mm Tudor Chronograph 79350, …from a Boutique in Barcelona……on the spur of the moment

Life is too short…I had a very minor stroke ( fully recovered ), in March of this year,… to remind me of my mortality

( Stopped smoking, after 40 years, … overnight )

Sod what other people think ! ……hopefully reached an age where, who cares……

L1100672.JPG

tamura, Mad Dog, stefman and 24 others like this.
  5. R3D9 Jul 16, 2017

bristnj and Jwit like this.
  6. sjg22 Jul 16, 2017

Some stunning Universal Compax that are 38mm and are a nice bridge between dress and sport.

Or Tudor Black Bay is never a bad call - timeless design and the price is right so if you try and don't like, easy to move on...

7. chipsotoole Jul 16, 2017

There are few watches as cool as a classic stainless steel/titanium sports/dive watch. Speedmasters are design classics...(yup even the mark III and 125..but that might be stretching some tastes) Personally I think things get tricky for us "older gents" when we are trying to use watches as an overt status symbol satisfying some need to overtly display the impression accrued success and wealth....God knows the country clubs and golf clubs the world over are full of such types- most of them actually quite uninterested in watches.
    Personally I would never get a big (40mm+) all gold or gold plate blingy thing, or monstrously outsized things gaudy dials, with 4 pushers and buttons, compasses, barometers, and a bezel display for working out the transient speed of meteorites . They may be the epitome of luxury , but they're not for me. The only time I ever buy such watches (like a 70's omega 1012 or 1020 TV dial in all gold plate) is to flip them because they're relatively cheap and easy to find.....but a vintage speedy moon watch from Nasa's golden years (sigh)......oh yes, one day it will be mine...

Mad Dog, mikechi22 and Nathan1967 like this.
  8. watchlovr Jul 16, 2017

Easy, buy a 2998, a tad smaller but oh so much cooler.
    Just need to find one for sale now.

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 16, 2017

Start with an SKX. They are 42 but wear small due to lug to lug distance.

10. Toishome Jul 16, 2017

I don't think anyone of us would be looking at watches if we had a mistress forty years younger ;)::psy::

Mad Dog, Rumar89, mikechi22 and 4 others like this.
  11. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Jul 16, 2017

Thanks guys,
    All the advice is really appreciated.
    That probably means a yes to the watch, an unlikely to the bike and leathers and a definite no to the mistress (whatever her age). To be frank the mistress was never really an option!

12. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 16, 2017

I Should note Robert Redford wore one in the sailing movie he did last year...

In a less sexy note my father pushing 70 wears his SKX almost every day and can't change a door lock.

Nathan1967 and Jwit like this.
  13. watch3s Jul 16, 2017

there is the skx013 in 38mm

14. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jul 16, 2017

Buy a cheap old watch on eBay that looks like the ones you want. Wear that for a bit so they get used to seeing a watch on your wrist, then start upgrading. :)

15. dialstatic Jul 16, 2017

I can sort of imagine some bewildered looks if you suddenly slap on, say, a modern white dialed PloProf...which you should totally do anyway if it tickles your fancy. Who cares about the opinions of kith and kin anyway?

But if they give you a hard time about a nice vintage Speedy Pro, they're either just crazy or jealous. Go wild!

In my case, that would require either some serious temporal anomaly; a lengthy return trip at relativistic speeds; or waiting a decade or two. Frankly, none of these options are very appealing.

Nathan1967 likes this.
  16. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Jul 16, 2017

I suggest buying a ginormous, blingy Invicta or similar. Wear it, get the expected response, then buy whatever takes your fancy, because whatever you buy will then appear tasteful and understated in comparison.

Job done ;)

efauser likes this.
  17. Vitezi Jul 16, 2017

If you're in your sixties, you can't care less what other people think. :)
    Buy what you like and wear it.
    And if anybody dares to say anything, scowl at 'em.
    [​IMG]

18. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jul 16, 2017

I am much closer to seventy than sixty and I must admit I get far more compliments from my wife and daughters when I wear modern larger pieces, to me that is all that matters :thumbsup:

IMG_9263.jpg

tamura, Andreas, Maybe and 7 others like this.
  19. plexyforever Jul 16, 2017

Hi,
    I am 61 and I do not have any problem wearing my Seamaster 176.010 (43mm case), expecially in summer.

IMG_0655.JPG
  20. SeanotheDead Jul 16, 2017

IMG_0513.JPG

I love my Planet Ocean 2500. I think it looks classic and fits any age. It actually fits fairly well on my 6.5 inch wrist. My friends were shocked it was a 42mm because in person it doesn't seem to wear that way. It looks more like a 40mm even on my small wrist. I agree with the previous comments. Life's too short. Wear what you want. I thought my wife would be upset when I got it but she actually really likes it and says it looks good on me. Try a few watches on in stores that you like before you buy and buy off the forum to save money.

Spruce and Foo2rama like this.