Aftermarket Flat-Feet Speedmaster Crowns: Opinions

Posts
1,884
Likes
3,627
Thanks !
AFAIK those pushers are also steel, so maybe dirt plus some kind of aging ?
 
Posts
212
Likes
105
Thanks !
AFAIK those pushers are also steel, so maybe dirt plus some kind of aging ?
Oh you’re right, it’s regular steel so it’s darkened unliked the stainless steel/ plated caps giving it a golden tinge

 
Posts
37
Likes
120
These are great tips @Ron_W . My 145.022-69 is currently at the watchmaker. I wanted him to install a vintage correct crown and he told me he will but there's old rubber inside and there is no resistance left when winding the watch. Also: he told me completely new pushers are necessary when I specifically requested to keep the old caps.

Will send him these comments thank you ✌️
 
Posts
1,884
Likes
3,627
Also: he told me completely new pushers are necessary
True, as they come as 1 piece with all those parts included and to insure WR he must install according to the guidelines. If the threads inside the old caps are bad or worn he can not guarantee WR. But hopefully you can persuade him anyway as you wont be diving with your Speedy 😀
 
Posts
37
Likes
120
True, as they come as 1 piece with all those parts included and to insure WR he must install according to the guidelines. If the threads inside the old caps are bad or worn he can not guarantee WR. But hopefully you can persuade him anyway as you wont be diving with your Speedy 😀
He is bit of a guideline sticker so I had to persuade him already to install the old crown.

Anyway, I told him Ron said it can be done and he cannot disagree with Ron 😆

My goal was to bring it back to original, with vintage (A1 logo) glass and a correct crown, but new pushers will probably stick out like a sore thumb.
 
Posts
143
Likes
151
I am fairly sure that an original pusher on a 105.012 should have a brass plated body/stem and stainless caps. Experts can confirm (please).
 
Posts
1,601
Likes
2,716
I am fairly sure that an original pusher on a 105.012 should have a brass plated body/stem and stainless caps. Experts can confirm (please).
Not sure if it's necessarily brass–some of the ones I've seen with degradation seem to be made of a warm, silvery metal that seems nickel-ish. If someone's cut one of these open though, happy to be wrong.
 
Posts
30,172
Likes
77,911
I am fairly sure that an original pusher on a 105.012 should have a brass plated body/stem and stainless caps. Experts can confirm (please).
Yes, likely would. Newer pushers are steel, but many of the older ones are plated brass. They are sometimes pitted severely.