Forums Latest Members

After the event - SpeedyTuesday Singapore

1. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 1, 2019

This was a tremendous amount of fun and a great night for everyone, I was lucky enough to have been at the very first SpeedyTuesday gathering in the Netherlands with James Ragan, RJ, Gerard and the Fratello team so it was great to see them again in Singapore last week, my favourite country in the world for watch shopping.

IMG_6739.JPG

I had to take a Speedy and didn't feel like going through the customs inconvenience again so just went with the Apollo 8 for the whole week in SG, even in the heat and humidity its a really comfortable strap and I can't state enough how much I love this piece, the size, thickness and light weight really make it practical and though it no doubt contains metal I was able to walk through the various metal detectors without being asked to take it off.

IMG_6771.JPG IMG_6776.JPG IMG_6761.JPG

It really is one of the most beautiful places in Asia to visit which is why I seem to end up back there so often, and as far as watch shopping, you'll see rare novelties and rare pieces here that you will struggle to find anywhere else, the Marina Bay Sands shopping center in particular is amazing, and Omega has a lot of very large boutiques here with selections of pieces I've never seen before in Australia and countless ADs.

IMG_6788.JPG IMG_6795.JPG IMG_6794.JPG IMG_6791.JPG

At the event Omega had a selection of their latest current models (including the twin of my Apollo 8) along with some great vintage pieces from the museum and historical advertisements for the Speedmaster, while Robert-Jan was there in his Apollo 11 50th anniversary LE 18K Gold Moonwatch signing SpeedyTuesday watchboxes and memorabilia for people including this Ultraman above, it was actually really cool to see enthusiastic collectors bringing boxes along for him to sign and I think he must be one of the only non-Astronauts to have ever been asked to do such a thing!

IMG_6798.JPG IMG_6799.JPG IMG_6800.JPG IMG_6802.JPG

We got to enjoy a talk from RJ, Petros from the Omega museum and James Ragan followed by a panel discussion and QA sessions which was really great, James and Petros are an absolute wealth of knowledge and some great pieces of info came up such as that the Speedmaster that was used for the burn on Apollo 13 was actually mission commander Jim Lovell's, the history surrounding political pressure on NASA to buy American in spite of the testing and the situation surrounding the Speedmaster's re-certification in the event that the new Co-Axial 3861 need to be re-tested for space (Omega have the testing processes and can recreate as necessary).

IMG_6808.JPG IMG_6809.JPG PPEN6274.JPG IFLX1272.JPG

We got to try on the new 50th Anniversary LE which although I'm not getting is a really great piece with probably the best Speedmaster bracelet ever fitted to a Moonwatch, beautiful clasp, beautiful fit and finish and perfect for a vintage model, so while Omega are unlikely to ever sell it separately I'd love to pick one up if it ever turned up on eBay as it would be perfect for a 321. They also had a Calibre 321 re-edition prototype movement for us to see up close however just in a movement holder, nothing resembling a watch yet but this will likely be my next new purchase.

IMG_6816.JPG IMG_6817.JPG IMG_6820.JPG IMG_6822.JPG IMG_6828.JPG IMG_6829.JPG

We were treated to an amazing dinner, even as a vegetarian weirdo it was superb and the food is always one of my favourite things about Singapore and the desert even had flakes of gold on it and a galaxy / starfield painted plate which was a really nice touch, then at the end of the night we each got to take home a copy of the Omega Lifetime magazine along with a special gift to commemorate the evening.

I greatly hope we have more events in the future and in more locations so others can get to enjoy this tremendous experience as Fratellowatches and Omega really know how to put on an amazing show.

Thanks to everyone who made it happen and all of the great new acquaintances I was able to meet and I hope to see you guys again sometime soon :thumbsup:

2. Trev The Architect Staff Member Jul 1, 2019

Wow, that hotel is some seriously impressive architecture.

WatchShopping likes this.
  3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 1, 2019

Thanks for representing us Ash, and thanks for a great write up.

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 1, 2019

Hotel is the ParkRoyal on Pickering and really amazing

WatchShopping likes this.
  5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 1, 2019

You got the showbags for @JimInOz and i didn’t you........

Great write up, meal looked a bit fancy ;)

JimInOz likes this.
  6. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Jul 1, 2019

Thanks for your write-up Ashley!! Great that we finally could meet again (since 2013).

7. rohnin Jul 1, 2019

When will the Tokyo event take place?

8. FlyingSnoopy Jul 1, 2019

Thank you for sharing with us...
    (Kind of jealous though)
    :)
    Cheers

9. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jul 1, 2019

Quote "" ...some great pieces of info came up such as that the Speedmaster that was used for the burn on Apollo 13 was actually mission commander Jim Lovell's... "" End quote

Now that's new information indeed... did Commander Jim Lovell take his Speedmaster off... time to dig into the details :unsure:

10. MCC Jul 1, 2019

That looked like a really cool event in a fantastic location.

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 1, 2019

By the sounds he did and handed it over to be used by I presume Jack. Jim Ragan mentioned that upon landing he specifically went up to them and asked which watch did you use knowing there would be some significance to it and Lovell said it was his as he knew for a fact that his was keeping excellent time, Ragan also knows exactly which NASA issue number that watch was and mentioned it though I can’t remember off the top of my head but I believe the session was recorded by the Fratello team.

SpeedyPhill and Robert-Jan like this.
  12. sdre Jul 1, 2019

@chow99 was lucky to be there.

Event looks great and hope to get to see more of such events in Singapore!!

dsio likes this.
  13. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jul 2, 2019

Meanwhile I got a dozen of e-mails on this (breaking) interesting story... Commander Jim Lovell on Apollo 13, that would be NASA-issued Speedmaster #70 I believe?

14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 2, 2019

Jim mentioned the number so if RJ publishes the recording it'll be in that, I can't remember which it was but I don't think it was #70, I seem to remember him saying 27/28/37/38 something lower but I could be wrong.

SpeedyPhill likes this.
  15. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jul 2, 2019

Certainly looking forward to the Fratellowatches report of this #SpeedyTuesday event... lately Fratellowatches certainly got the attention of the spaceflight aficionados crowd and there's a lot of talk about the #SpeedyTuesday events featuring astronauts and Omega heritage team members revealing ( for us ) new information :thumbsup:

16. MalaMD Jul 2, 2019

Thanks for the great report on a fantastic sounding event, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for something in the UK next year maybe!

17. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Dec 20, 2019

:coffee:
    Although this is a minor event in an important mission and almost 50 years ago...
    MoonwatchUniverse will look into Apollo 13 mission transcripts and hoping to get info from astronaut James Lovell directly...